1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glass scratches

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by PriusCguy, Apr 6, 2019.

1. PriusCguy

PriusCguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there. I live in Nova Scotia and have the pleasure of scraping my windows on occasion. I have a plastic scraper and I barely use any force when scrapping. I notice my windshield has quite a few scratches from this winter.

I know the plastic scraper won't scratch glass...is there a plastic coating on the glass that scratches very easily? The glass does have a tint to it.

2. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If you are referring to the windshield, no there is no coating on the glass, certainly nothing plastic. There is a molecular-scale layer of Potassium or Lead used in the tempering process, but that's different.

What is most likely happening is that dirt, dust and debris trapped on your scraper or already deposited on your windshield, before the ice and the snow, is what's doing the scratching. Keeping your windshield clean and a proper application of Aquapel or similar would help mitigate this.

You can try buffing it out with Ceriglass, but it requires a LOT of down pressure and elbow grease to be effective, and if the scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernail, then it won't do you any good. And you have to do the entire windshield, otherwise you end up with spotty hydophobism.

There does exist a plastic coating, similar to clearbra, that very high-end cars put on their windshields, which prevents most scratches and pits from sand and road debris. I can't think of the name at the moment, but it's quite expense.

The Prius C windshield is purposely made very thin, for weight saving and therefore gas mileage reasons, and it breaks very easily, as I found out when a puny falling pine cone totally bashed mine in a couple of years ago.

PriusCguy and joelg1988 like this.
  3. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    For you or others interested, here's a Cliff's Notes version of how to properly clean the outside of a windshield:

1. Wash the windshield with sponge or wash mitt. Make sure all tree sap, road debris and gunk is gone. Tree sap can be removed by rubbing alcohol;
    2. Use a pad of 0000 steel wool and undiluted liquid car wash (or Dawn dishwashing liquid). Put the liquid on the steel wool and go over the entire windshield. Use down force here. Don't worry - you won't scratch it.
    3. Rinse off with distilled water.
    4. Dry off with a leaf blower or a sheet of newspaper. Some folks like microfiber towels, but I prefer newspaper.
    5. Apply Aquapel or your choice of water repellent.

#3 frenzee, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    PriusCguy likes this.
  4. PriusCguy

PriusCguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the info. I live in apartment so my car is exposed to the elements. I would say it probably is dust/debris under ice and frost. My scraper is clean so I think it may be dust.

5. PriusCguy

PriusCguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Once I have a house, I will park it in a garage.