1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glass spots - how do you remove them?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wraiththe, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Trouble detailing my new used 2017 prius:
    I have tried glass cleaner, rainX waterspot remover (not shown,)
    Isopropanol, acetone, rainX, wheel wash, coca-cola, paint prep (not shown) and glass stove top cleaner.
    Only the latter has even put a dent in it. I am afraid of micro scratches, which on the windsheild, would make it impossible to drive toward the sun as it would refract making it hard to see through... (like my 11 year old prius was)

welcome any suggestions (no brillo please.)

20211219_151016-1.jpg See Spots-DSC_5050-4.jpg See Dif-DSC_5040-2.jpg

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are you absolutely sure that there isn't a tint film on the windows ?

I suggest that you visit an auto glass specialty shop.
    That's REALLY bad and you might have to replace it.
    Might be etched INTO the glass instead of just ON it.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Vinegar & newsprint. Something about the hardness of actual newsprint works better than a lot of other wipers.

4. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's not even funny.

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what the spots are - wondering if it's poorly applied RAIN-X - or old RAIN-X - which I've seen go like that.

6. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I had a minimal hard water spot situation earlier this summer after a brief rain spotted up the dust and the sun came back out and welded it to the glass. I found a Windex product that has vinegar in it and after a couple three days of wiping it down with regular old paper towels the spots were gone. OP has a much more developed deposit as seen in those photos. Might try some Lime Away diluted on a wet sponge.

7. Pulse07

Pulse07 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    This is for outside glass:
    Get a Mr. Clean magic eraser (or generic) and use your favorite glass cleaner. Activate the magic erase by running it warm water, then squeezing the water out. Spray the glass cleaner on the magic eraser and the glass. As you slide the magic eraser , make sure the magic erase is not dragging, make the glasswell lubericated with glass cleaner. Repeat as necessary . Then use the same glass cleaner and a microfiber towel (or lint free disposable towel) and clean it up. Done.
    Option:
    Use your favorite wax and apply wax on it to prevent future water spot build up. Also will make your glass hydrophobic and rain just runs off.

Wraiththe and CLUBGUY like this.
  8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It wasn't intended to be funny.
    I am absolutely serious.

OR.....you could just keep screwing with it until you make it worse.

9. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I resemble that remark

10. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have you washed the car since these water spots?

I only ask as your post does not mention a car wash.

In the past I have had water spots once, maybe twice and it was due to washing,
    but then not shammy-ing it afterwards....just leaving it to dry by air.

But once I washed it again (using simple basic el cheapo car wash soap) water spots were gone
    after drying with the shammy (cheap artificial chamois) cannot find brand online since im working atm.
    But not the sham wow or whatever.

11. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have washed the car twice at a self service and twice here in NC using concentrated car wash, both by hand, and clayed the car and tried claying the windows.
    I have tried:
    Invisible sheild,
    Rain X waterspot remover,
    Vinegar and water,
    Coca cola,
    50/50 wheel cleaner and water,
    Isopropanol,
    Nail polish remover. (ascetone)
    Comet shower cleaner,
    Scrubbing bubbles bath and shower cleaner,
    A razor blade,
    Weimans Ceramic and glass stove cleaner.

So, I purchased the car a week ago. It is a 2017 Prius from Upper NJ.... So Yes, I have washed the car since the water spots.

The only thing that has put a dent in the water spots... be they wax or minerals or water spots... was the weimans.
    It is really bugging me. in the fog the way the moisture sets on the windshield... it makes it very hard to see... also in misty rain at low temps.

I do not think a chamois is going to help.

12. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I do know that glass top cleaner works, as I used it on my stove :)

But I am just curious if you have been drying the car after the wash/rinse.
    or are you letting it air dry wet?

The reason I say is that the water spots are more than likely from "hard" water which is lime etc...(im sure you know)
    But air drying it is letting that hard water with the minerals dry on the surface.
    If you had dry it with cloth or squeegee or towel or something, it will take the minerals too.
    May take one time or multiple.

If that does not help, then yes the water spots are serious and a brain stumper

13. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just purchased a 4 year old car. If I had owned it from the start it would not have the water spots.
    That being said... I dry the car off with towels and if needed I will clean the windows with paper towels or MF towels. Also I usually seal/synthetic wax the car once it is super cleaned, then weekly quick wax it or use quick detail to keep it clean... I will sometimes just use the MF towel I use for quick detailer on the windows... which does keep them mineral free.
    Rain is another story. If you live near industry... there is going to be stuff in the rain. Most likely you are not going to dry it off every time it rains. In Charlotte, sometimes we get fallout from the refineries two or three states over.... Important to get the car clean and sealed/waxed... If you keep it clean... that kind of stuff does not stick.
    We also have this mold that spits spores up from the mulch... many of my neighbor's cars have the black dots that are a mega bitch to get off the paint once they settle in... they never clean the cars or wax them. The white ones get to be disgusting and the black stuff drips and streaks from panels and door handles. Sucks.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A college housemate swore by jeweler's rouge to remove water spots. But that was many decades ago, and I haven't heard any followup discussion, so read up from modern resources before considering it.

I wouldn't have used Comet, it probably added scratches.

15. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Different kind of comet... comes in a liquid spray bottle.

Jewelers rouge sounds interesting,,, with a buffer wheel. Sounds like it would do it.

I was also considering trying a can of Neverdull.
    Also considering Duragloss... but they do not sell it around here. I believe I used it 20+ years ago... successfully. But that was many drinks and more ago.

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you like the rouge idea, get something specific: cerium paste.

That's what people used to use to remove those annoying micro scratches from windshields. (and still do, for rare cars with unobtanium glass parts)

It's very labor intensive, which is why it isn't so common anymore.

17. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    windex or another brand of glass cleaner is usually a go to option for spots on the windows.

A clay bar also works. There used to be, possibly still is a product called Perfect Vision specifically for glass that includes a clay bar, and uses is the same concept as clay bar for paint.

It's a similar concept as fogged up headlight lens or eye glass lens with crinkled coatings. Not really much can be done with them in one of two buffing sessions or product applications. In my experiences with scratched glass, I've had to keep buffing and keep adding a clear filler to the scratches seems like forever.
    New glass always works !

@alanclarkeau I've also seen old rain-x paste up or completely dry out over time. It's hard enough to polish rain-x to a clear gloss when it's a liquid, and when it drys to a gel in the container, it's about 3 times as hard to buff out.

#17 vvillovv, Dec 21, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Wraiththe likes this.
  18. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And yet you seem to ignore my suggestion that you consult a professional glass company.
    Why is that ???

19. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's exactly what I use too.

20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think you are in a bit of denial here.
    Taking all of the information that you have provided, I think the logical conclusion is:
    Those spots are NOT on the outside of the glass but are on the INSIDE, maybe between the glass and some tint film.
    Continuing to scrape away on the outside likely will do some damage eventually........if it hasn't already.