1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glide vs. Stealth Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dachshund, Sep 14, 2006.

1. dachshund

dachshund New Member

At speeds below 42 mph I can easily go into glide mode. If I press the gas pedal a little harder, the yellow arrow comes on (2006 model). The car continues to coast and gradually slow down in this mode. So what's the difference between this and glide mode? I'd assume that the yellow arrow means a motor is turning, but it still seems like I'm coasting.

Thanks in advance.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Sep 14 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]319751[/snapback]</div>
    I think that what's going on is that MG2 is spinning and drawing current (actually, I think MG2 draws about 10 amps in glide mode) in but that it's not supplying enough power to maintain a constant speed. You see a similar thing then you're going faster than 42 and the ICE is running. It's supplying power to the wheels as well as recharging the battery and showing 99.9MPG. Sometimes it's possible to maintain your current speed and other times it's not.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gliding is no arrow. Coasting is the green arrows recharging the battery. Yellow arrows from the battery is EV mode.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 14 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]319780[/snapback]</div>
    But in glide you are suppling power to MG2 and spinning it at what I would guess keeps it up with wheel RPM. This allows for a situation much like the freewheeling of the old SAAB 86. The "feel" is identical. I typically use 4-8 amps to do this between 39-33 mph. I sometimes think that the amps used depend on the speed then I don't. If you are using the CAN-View you can flip between the CAN-View displaying the Amp level and the MFD arrows. If Eifler gets the stand alone CAN-View going (or if people that have a freestanding display they can help out here) we could look at both together. For now all I can say is when I am in glide (no arrow) and I flip back and forth I am sending 4-8 amps somewhere. My bet is to MG2, and that the MFD display is ignoring small current flows for simplicity. Atilla, Ken and Hobbit may be able to help out here. As for where the current is going I guess we could figure that out as well.
    What is going to happen is that we will finally get the system all figured out about the time Toyota comes out HSD 3 and then we get to start all over again!! Woo Hooo!! B)