1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Global Warming Is Not A Crisis

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimBikes, Mar 20, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]408912[/snapback]</div>
    Again, a lot of hate and venom. Al Gore is unquestionably bright, in what way is he not 'self-made'? His time in the WH was as VP...a role usually relegated to watch and cheer lead...In Bush's case his VP doubles as his baby-sitter, butthat's the exception not the rule.

In any case, this is irrelevant to the thread topic, but I know, open the window to slander a democrat just an inch and you'll take it. :rolleyes:

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]408912[/snapback]</div>
    ...who believes in astral projection, bending spoons with his mind, and seeing people's auras.

"Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development. No one person or even small group of persons exclusively "invented" the Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among people in government and the university community. But as the two people who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time."--Vint Cerf and Robert Kahn

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]408912[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, doc- having an MD degree does not make Crichton (or you) any more qualified to debate global warming than my degrees in applied math and marine science qualify me to take out your gall bladder. :)
    And Dr. Phil sells more books than Michael Crichton- perhaps we should get his opinion as well.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    let's leave the science to the non-scientists. sounds like a plan to me.

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Neither Michael Crichton or Al Gore is a climate scientist or a true "expert" on global warming. The difference is that Al Gore is a politician and policy maker, and he never misrepresents himself as anything but. He promotes the research of scientists in his movie but doesn't speak as a climate science expert himself and misrepresent the facts.
    Michael Crichton, on the other hand, has testified before the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works (when Inhofe was chair) and in other public forums, in the role of a science "expert". He is a smart guy, I'll grant you, and certainly has made a lot of money, and some would say that he is a good writer of fiction. I suppose that would lead him to give a talk entitled, "Aliens Cause Global Warming".

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 20 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]408930[/snapback]</div>
    algore never misrepresents himself? are you referring to his 10x above average co2 production? or perhaps you are referring to his buying of carbon credits from his own company? or perhaps as the inventor of the internet.

he promotes he, himself, and whatever will get him facetime.

he is algore

and are you telling me all the stuff he flaps his lips about in his movie are true - or perhaps he mispresented facts there too?

trying to track down those wines btw

have a nice day

and think about letting go of algore - he is cryptonite - anything near him dies or loses power (except his houses, SUV's, private planes)

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]408935[/snapback]</div>
    I think that you need to separate the message from the messenger, and you should let go of "algore". This is not about whether or not Al Gore is honest or a hypocrite (all politcians are to some degree); it's about what is happening to our climate and what are we going to do about it.

8. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    bite your tongue doberman al gore is a messiah

seriously! I am not being facetious

al is the man!

thank al gore for funding the internet so that you could have this debate

~buttster

9. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(excuseMeButt @ Mar 20 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]408942[/snapback]</div>
    I have to say, after more than a year of reading and sometimes participating in exchanges with Dr. Berman, that attempting anything approaching a rational discourse with the gentleman (if you'll excuse a momentary observation OT) is like trying to catch a dropped chainsaw with a butterfly net.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 20 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]408940[/snapback]</div>
    algore had eight years in the white house - kyoto protocol - not a word. why now all the fuss except for personal gain.

i do not like algore, i do not hate him either. i find him amusing, pathetic, disengenuous, etc, all at the same time. the AGW people need a better face guy than algore.

notice your last sentence - what is algore doing about it himself - as a role model - as a LEADER - he is doing nothing! he really is a sad guy who is lucky to have been born into money.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(excuseMeButt @ Mar 20 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]408942[/snapback]</div>
    me too, thank God for algore not only for the internet, but also for President George W. Bush :lol: only algore could lose to dubya - and i do like consistancy - the hobgobblin of very very small minds :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 20 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]408945[/snapback]</div>
    thank you for referring to me as a gentleman - better then the dog refrences.

have a nice day.

11. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 20 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]408945[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

I've read alot of his "stuff" and he is a bit out of the mainstream. That's OK, the world needs a few freethinkers. Well, it may not need them but we get them anyway.

:p

~S

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]408951[/snapback]</div>
    Anyone could have "lost" to dubya, as long as he had his brother, Katherine Harris, James Baker, and five Supreme Court justices to help him steal the election.

13. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have come to the conclusion that dberman is a paid psy-ops agent for big oil and/or DOD, much like the famed "Exxon scientists".
    How else would a "medical doctor" have so much time to spend on liberal website stirring the pot.

Then again, Dr efusco spends a lot of time here too.....
    I suppose I should go back to work as well.......

14. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]408951[/snapback]</div>
    The republican party spent twice as much money on Bush's campaign and Bush nearly lost. I'd say that reflects well on Al, wouldn't you? Probably not.

Love Al Gore!

~buttster

15. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Al Gore said nothing about Kyoto while in the White House? Oh, well I guess for the speech he gave at Kyoto he wasn't actually IN the white house: :p

December 8 1997
    http://clinton3.nara.gov/WH/EOP/OVP/speeches/kyotofin.html
    April 21, 2000
    http://clinton3.nara.gov/WH/EOP/OVP/speech...nvironment.html
    March 30, 2000
    http://clinton3.nara.gov/WH/EOP/OVP/speech...nvironment.html

And obviously, the Clinton/Gore whitehouse didn't do any of the items below, either.

Forging International Agreement. Provided leadership critical to successful negotiation of the Kyoto Protocol, which sets strong, realistic targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and establishes flexible, market-based mechanisms to achieve them as cost-effectively as possible.

Investing in Clean Energy Research. Won more than $1 billion in FY 1999 and in FY 2000 for the Climate Change Technology Initiative, a program of clean energy research and development that will save energy and consumers money. Extended the tax credits for wind and biomass energy production through 2001, reducing emissions and reliance on imported oil.

Growing Clean Energy Technologies. Issued an Executive Order to coordinate federal efforts to spur the development and use of bio-based technologies, which can convert crops, trees and other “biomass†into a vast array of fuels and materials. Set a goal of tripling our use of bioenergy and bioproducts by 2010 to reduce annual greenhouse gas emissions by up to 100 million tons a year -- the equivalent of taking 70 million cars off the road.

Improving Scientific Understanding. Increased funding for the United States Global Change Research Program to more than $1.7 billion in FY 2000 to provide a sound scientific understanding of both the human and natural forces that influence the Earth's climate system. This record research budget continues strong support for the "Carbon Cycle Initiative" begun last year to improve our understanding of the role of farms, forests, and other natural or managed lands in capturing carbon.

Energy Efficiency Standards for Appliances. Issued new energy efficiency standards for refrigerators, refrigerator-freezers, freezers and room air conditioners that will save consumers money and reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and dependence on foreign oil. The new standards will cut the average appliance’s energy usage by 30 percent and save more than seven quadrillion BTUs of energy over the next 30 years, more than seven times the annual energy consumption of the entire state of Arkansas.

Promoting federal Energy Efficiency. Issued an Executive Order directing federal agencies to reduce energy use in buildings 35 percent by 2010, reducing annual greenhouse gas emissions by the equivalent of taking 1.7 million cars off the road and saving taxpayers over $750 million a year. Forged new partnerships with industry to develop and promote energy-saving cars, homes and consumer products with the potential to save Americans hundreds of millions of dollars in energy bills and significantly curb greenhouse gas pollution.

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Mar 20 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]408958[/snapback]</div>
    In the old days, doctors would take a day off during the week to play golf. Now they spend it at PriusChat! :lol:

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Mar 20 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]408945[/snapback]</div>
    But you have to admire the way he constantly refers to the guy who got more popular votes than George W. Bush a "loser". If that's a loser, what does it say about the guy who got LESS votes?

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Mar 20 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]408958[/snapback]</div>
    takes the place of doing my daily crossword puzzle although i find that more difficult than this :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 20 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]408995[/snapback]</div>
    not sure the relevance of this post - except algore probably is under the illusion he is potus. i almost feel sorry for the guy - almost. last time i looked the popular vote is cute but i am sure algore would have rather had more electoral votes :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 20 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]408972[/snapback]</div>
    just a different form of putting around, or
    just driving others crazy instead of myself

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]409000[/snapback]</div>
    And less fun than this!

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(excuseMeButt @ Mar 20 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]408959[/snapback]</div>
    algore is a money sink