1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Global Warming is really starting to run out of gas

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by viking31, Oct 24, 2007.

1. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, we know a great deal about Mars, and that the major factor that greatly affect its temperature are its large scale dust storms.
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=192

Neptune's brightness increase has be ascribed to its normal change of seasons.
    http://oposite.stsci.edu/pubinfo/pr/2003/17/paper.pdf

In other words, both "Martian Warming" and "Neptune Warming" are red herrings meant to confuse real discussion of the earth's climate.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rocket @ 2007 10 30 23:17) [snapback]532790[/snapback]</div>
    We have areas of vineyard-intensive agriculture already, thanks. But if you'd prefer we sell our oil elsewhere, I'm sure that could be arranged.

3. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Nov 1 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]533496[/snapback]</div>
    We have lots of accurate, global temperature readings from Mars orbit of both the surface and atmosphere since late 1997 (more than five Martian years). The global circulation models show nothing surprising, with Mars' climate determined largely by its eccentric orbit around the Sun and the variations in dust loading in its atmosphere.

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 30 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]532766[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, you are optimistic! :p

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ 2007 11 01 14:32) [snapback]533563[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, the optimism/realism thing is always a delicate balance. I'm a the-glass-is-always-full kinda person. It's the proportion of water and air that's in question. :D

6. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So what's the worst than can happen? Humanity driven to extinction? All life on earth destroyed?

So what? Big deal!

Somewhere else in the universe, another life form is evolving intelligence and awareness, and will be able to ponder issues just as significant.

Life goes on ... :D

7. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Nov 7 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]536210[/snapback]</div>

But wouldn't it be great if WE created a sustainable world that was healthy, safe and fun for everyone to live in. I don't want this to be our peak. We are so close to making things so much better. Another century under our belt and we might create a true utopia. Plus in a few more generations, we might be able to achieve immortality! It would be a shame to get so close to turning that corner and simply let civilization decay back into the stone age. Especially because of ignorance. Live long and prosper.

8. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ Nov 7 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]536221[/snapback]</div>
    couldn't agree more

sorry, couldn't resist playing devil's advocate :) :)

just doing my part to keep this very important discussion alive ...

9. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fib, have you read The Age of Spiritual Machines? Interesting read.

10. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Nov 7 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]536344[/snapback]</div>
    Looks interesting alright. I'll check it out..

11. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 24 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]530040[/snapback]</div>
    IsrAmeriPrius,

Your are dead wrong. The ice shelf in Antarctica is expanding and is at record size. There are many posts in the journals about this. Your comments are normally right on, but, you missed the mark here.

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2007/10/...th-reaches.html

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sliderule @ Nov 8 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]536882[/snapback]</div>
    Not according to my sources:
    This is what SourceWatch has to say about your source:

13. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's what a Nobel Prize winner says about the subject in an interview with CNN:

Notable & Quotable
    October 25, 2007; Page A23
    John Christy of the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (co-recipient of this year's Nobel Peace Prize) responds to questions by CNN anchor Miles O'Brien:

O'BRIEN: I assume you're not happy about sharing this award with Al Gore. You going to renounce it in some way?

CHRISTY: Well, as a scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, I always thought that -- I may sound like the Grinch who stole Christmas here -- that prizes were given for performance, and not for promotional activities.

And, when I look at the world, I see that the carbon dioxide rate is increasing, and energy demand, of course, is increasing. And that's because, without energy, life is brutal and short. So, I don't see very much effect in trying to scare people into not using energy, when it is the very basis of how we can live in our society.

O'BRIEN: So, what about the movie ["An Inconvenient Truth"]; do you take issue with, then, Dr. Christy?

CHRISTY: Well, there's any number of things.

I suppose, fundamentally, it's the fact that someone is speaking about a science that I have been very heavily involved with and have labored so hard in, and been humiliated by, in the sense that the climate is so difficult to understand, Mother Nature is so complex, and so the uncertainties are great, and then to hear someone speak with such certainty and such confidence about what the climate is going to do is -- well, I suppose I could be kind and say, it's annoying to me.

O'BRIEN: But you just got through saying that the carbon dioxide levels are up. Temperatures are going up. There is a certain degree of certainty that goes along with that, right?

CHRISTY: Well, the carbon dioxide is going up. And remember that carbon dioxide is plant food in the fundamental sense. All of life depends on the fact carbon dioxide is in the atmosphere. So, we're fortunate it's not a toxic gas. But, on the other hand, what is the climate doing. And when we build -- and I'm one of the few people in the world that actually builds these climate data sets -- we don't see the catastrophic changes that are being promoted all over the place.

For example, I suppose CNN did not announce two weeks ago when the Antarctic sea ice extent reached its all-time maximum, even though, in the Arctic in the North Pole, it reached its all-time minimum.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sliderule @ Nov 8 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]536951[/snapback]</div>
    Will the real John Christy please stand up:
    P.S. He is NOT a Nobel Prize winner. A panel on which he sits - and of whose thousands of members Christy is in the distinct minority - won the prize.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A