1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Glove box sticks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jkash, Oct 9, 2006.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My glove box sticks and creaks since about one month ago. When I push to button to open it, it only moves about one inch. I had the car in for a service and asked them about it. All they did was order a new cover. Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It only "sticks" if I have the manual and such in the shelf. My glovebox is fairly empty so there's no weight to pull it open and because the manual is close to the fulcrum, there's no torque to lower it.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< UPPER or LOWER glove box? The upper in some Prius developed a problem - the coil spring which opens the upper glove box broke loose from its anchor. The result: Upper Glove Box would only open about 1"-2" rather than all the way and the dash cover above its hinge was a little warped upward.

This problem was covered in the 3/36,000 bumper-bumper warranty. They replace the upper glove box assembly.

4. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the upper glove box. The lower one works fine. I will have them replace it on my next service.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 10 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]330712[/snapback]</div>

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi again, jkash

Most likely, your Dealer will have to order the parts for the upper glove box repair/replacement. You may do well to contact them in advance to save an extra trip. In my situation, it took 3 trips: [1] Ordered the parts during routine service; [2] Trip to the Dealer to see about the part - was in but they hadn't called me; [3] Install the parts. Less than perfect communication by the dealer.

6. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had the same problem with my uppper glove box too. I had them replace it under warranty. Kina annonying... but glad it's fixed. Good luck.

-Peter B

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 10 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]330810[/snapback]</div>
    Did you bother to read Jeff's original message before you posted this reply?

:rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash @ Oct 9 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]330375[/snapback]</div>

8. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone still owning an 04-05 now has this problem, you don't have to buy a new glovebox door from the dealer. Buy any 04-09 upper glovebox from a junkyard (obviously the newer the better), and transfer your 04-05 door to the newer panel. The 06-09 mounting panels have better reinforcements to them, don't seem to have the problem, and they swap right over.

Just push/pull the hinge pins out (they're pretty easy to remove), lift the door off, and swap. Make note of how the spring is mounted before doing so. If you don't jiggle the door around too much, the spring should stay in place, and once transferred, you can use pliers to slip the ends of the springs into their pockets on the mounting panel, and you're done.

Tideland Prius likes this.