1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured GM announces future technology

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 2, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: GM plans electric future, to intro 20 new cars by 2023

. . .
    GM announced Monday it will introduce at least 20 new all-electric, zero-emission vehicles by 2023. That includes two new vehicles in the next 18 months that are based on the all-electric Chevrolet Bolt.

Traditional internal combustion engines are safe for now, according to Mark Reuss, GM vice president of global product development, purchasing and supply chain. But at a press conference at GM’s technical center he said the automaker plans for its entire line-up to be zero-emission at some point. This comes as automakers including Jaguar, Volvo and Volkswagen have said they will electrify their line-ups within the next decade.

Some European countries have said by the middle of the century they will ban the sale of gas- or diesel-powered cars and trucks. California government officials are reportedly considering a ban to meet long-term goals for better air quality.
    . . .

Reminds me of:

"Sweet violets,
    Sweeter than all the roses,
    Covered all over from head to toe
    with sweet violets."​

Somewhere God is ROTFLHAO.

Bob Wilson

pilotgrrl and telmo744 like this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope they pull it off, with perhaps some creative thinking that hasn't entered the marketplace yet.

Trollbait and RCO like this.
  4. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope that most of those vehicles will be US-bound, instead of China-specific cars that are cheap but wouldn't meet US crash safety standards.

Prodigyplace, Trollbait and RCO like this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys have to learn to stop bumping into each other so much while driving. Did you all learn how at the fair? :eek::cool:

pilotgrrl likes this.
  6. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, if they didn't want us crashing into each other, maybe they shouldn't make them look like bumper cars :p

RCO, pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    pilotgrrl likes this.
  8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No car company is serious about an EV future until they start investing heavily into infrastructure. So sad that a good vehicle like the Bolt is useless regarding road trips because of a still horrible infrastructure. Tesla is the only company to actually put the horse before the cart.

farmecologist, RCO, pilotgrrl and 3 others like this.
  9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Responding to my own post :)

To be fair, this goes against everything they've done in the many many decades of doing business. Never before have they had to worry about building gas stations to support their vehicles. Will be a total paradigm shift for them.

RCO, pilotgrrl and Trollbait like this.
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Since this thread is only about GM, your sentence is not out of context but it should really be written as "all of them" since only Tesla is building an infrastructure. Nit pickers might say so is VW (ha, ha).

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't remember the auto makers investing heavily in gas stations. Perhaps those who believe in a growing demand for changing stations should be investing their money into expanding the infrastructure.

12. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You obviously didn't read my next comment before posting this.

RCO likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps next time we should let the oil companies 'bail-out' the bankrupt USA car makers:
    • USA model MPG will take a dive.
    • USA models will become too expensive to operate so sales will collapse.
    • USA oil companies will suffer devastating losses and go out of business.
    • Efficient cars will rule!
    Bob Wilson

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  14. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMHO, this is being driven by Chinese and European governmental mandates.

As long as gasoline is still really cheap in the US, the charging infrastructure is lacking, and various other obstacles exist, there may be little hope to change the hearts and minds of the majority of the American public.

OTOH, if people can be cured of their rectocranial impaction when it comes to climate change, perhaps they'll switch.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Robert Holt, markabele and fotomoto like this.
  15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the problem with that reasoning. I don't think undo harm would have happened to the US economy if Chrysler had collapsed, but if GM actually hit chapter 7 bankruptcy, then today there would be less efficient cars on the road. I don't believe the bail out was necessary, chapter 11 likely would have a smaller gm today, but not a collapse of the parts suppliers and higher costs to US produced fords, toyotas, and hondas.

Oil companies like car companies are an oligopoly. Each time we lose one (merging fiat with chrysler cut down by one) the others are more free to impose their wills on consumers. Toyota's truck plant in San Antonio makes it a lot more money than the imported prius does. US oil companies would do fine with only imported vehicles, they have been modifying their operations to make profits with less oil sales. What hurts the integrated oils is all the new finds, which have increased available supply, and decreased the value of their reserves. US oil goes out of business america is in really bad shape. Taxes will be raised greatly, and the us would be at the mercy of saudi arabia and other unfriendly governments that pretend to be america's friends.

So cheers to gm for the bolt and the volt. Without the volt I don't think we would have seen the prius prime advance so far from the prius phv, nor would bmw have the team for the i3 (many came from volt development). Of course the bolt, well maybe the next generation if battery costs continue to fall.
    China yes, europe no. European mandates are getting vw, bmw, and mercedes to really invest, but markets are probably not profitable for gm or ford. China is a huge market for gm and will be for tesla in the future. Everyone will have to develop for the chinese and american market which are the #1 and #2 in terms of unit sales today, and likely will continue to be in the future.

The 3 biggest factors are falling battery costs, improving car models, and of course infrastructure. For these reasons phevs are really likely to be the volume seller in the US even though they will likely cost more than a long range bev. As these get more popular, infrastructure for charging will increase. I expect by 2020 tesla will have great infrastructure in the US and china, and other companies can definitely join in as long as they help tesla pay for improvements for higher volume of cars. Alternatively SAE combo plug may get investments by about 2025. This is a long game. I don't expect change over can happen fast given that the average american car is now 11 years old. Battery technology needs to stabilize and more large plants need to be built.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What passed for gasoline back when ICE cars started out was being sold as a degreaser in general and hardware stores. Compared to plugging in a car, getting it was less convenient, but the businesses already selling it by the can and bottle saw an opportunity in making it easier to fuel a car.

I would not be surprised if DC charging starts showing up at those large gas stations and travel stops along the interstate in the near future. They make most of their profit from selling other stuff and services, not the fuel, and charging a BEV means the customer spends more time at the location to potentially spend money. The major chains already have the ideal locations that cover the required area, and would let them develop coverage in a more efficient manor than the third party charging companies.

Don't overlook India's influence.

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as they add simulated 150db engine roaring sound and simulated diesel smoke (colored water vapor maybe?), the pickup truck EV's will sell!

....Gotta keep on coaling them hippie Prius's!!

#17 ny_rob, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  19. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There's hope, the article does say that they could eventually go worldwide.