1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM Arlington Plant To Build Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon Two-Mode Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hb06, Dec 11, 2006.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "What It Means: Maybe this will stop those rumors that GM doesn't really have a hybrid system ready for production. "

"ARLINGTON, TEXAS - General Motors today announced the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon Two-mode Hybrid SUVs will be built at its Arlington assembly plant beginning in late 2007."

"The two-mode hybrid system will be mated with GM's Active Fuel Management technology for a composite fuel-efficiency gain of 25 percent over the base Tahoe."

"The two-mode hybrid system, originally implemented by GM in transit buses in 2003, is being cooperatively advanced and adapted by BMW Group, DaimlerChrysler and GM for use in a broad variety of cars, trucks and SUVs."

http://mph-online.com/web/prtranslated/00495

2. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    This should be interesting.

American auto makers like SUVs because they are high-profit vehicles. Not that making a profit is bad, however, I am willing to bet that profit motive is most of the reason behind GM deciding that a hybrid SUV is the way to go when if they got rid of all that extra mass that the SUV has, they would almost certainly get some extraordinary mileage. IMHO, if they built the SUVs with high usage of carbon fiber they would accomplish the same thing as making a smaller, low-mass vehicle, but it would, at least at first, erode any profits because of the high cost of carbon fiber.

Personally, I see this as a half-hearted effort by GM to give their customers a fuel efficient vehicle, and I am willing to bet that there will be quality problems that many people will not tolerate.

So, I wish GM well in this venture, but in my book, they have a long way to go before they will prove to me that I should be one of their customers. So far, nothing but the 08/09 Prius is on my short list.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live 15-20 miles from the Arlington, Texas plant that will build them. The plant is among GM's finest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("unknown PC member")</div>
    ....the last half of the quote might be accurate. Anyway it summs up my feelings about making hybrid Escalades and the like.

For the over-30 people, remember 1980 and earlier? Yes there were station wagons and boat cars, but why do people today "need" :rolleyes: Jumbo SUVs and one-ton pickup trucks?

GM makes all these green gestures, yet treats real fuel economy with contempt. Several months ago, Mr Waggoner spent 20 minutes on NPR about hybrid SUVs, flex-fuel vehicles (invariably 5-liter and larger), then spent the last minute "....oh and we have ten vehicles that get over 30mpg".

Anyone see this extended Hummer commercial? It's the H3 "submarine commercial", then another segment added has a variation of the wuss rushing to the dealer to "Restore His Manhood". What happens instead is he abandons this dinky wedgy Smart-car sized EV to get a Hummer. I'll go with that as GM's true expression of greeness.

4. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If these hybrids are like the Silverado "hybrid", they are not hybrids at all. All they do is shut down the engine at stops; there is no electric power actually driving the truck. They do have a large battery, and regenerative braking with electir AC pump. Better than nothing, I suppose.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ Dec 14 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]362207[/snapback]</div>
    That's likely worse than it appears too. The first smaller vehicle to use two-mode will be Vue. Unfortunately though, it will include a 6-cylinder engine... which is rather odd.

The choice seems as if it is just one based on market potential. But then when you dig, you uncover the reality that part of the system's efficiency comes from shutting off cylinders... which works fine when you have 6. But with 4, who knows. Sustained cruising with only 1 piston up and the other down at the same time could be horribly rough... or not even possible. A third for balance isn't available.

In other words, it's probably not as efficient with a vehicle wanting to compete directly with Camry or Sienna or RAV hybrids. But at least it will support a plug-in feature.