1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM Charging Ahead with Volt

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Chrome, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chrome @ Mar 25 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]412100[/snapback]</div>
    Dammit, now I have to change my underpants from laughing so hard.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OH you better believe this article's worth archiving.

4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

You know it is still crap. GM is trying to crap already.

With that statement, it basically says.... we tried, it might not work out (probably, it will not work out). And the, cannot tell you anything what GM is doing, means they will not tell you about their fake project.

Even when the PHEV Prius is on the road, GM will probably say the battery technology is not there. Just as NanoSafe and A123Systems, they are telling everyone that the battery tech is here.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good. Now archive it with the full link, date and so forth. Whatever the outcome, we'll pull it out.

If they build it, we'll pull it out and say that they've finally come through with their word.

If they don't, we'll still pull the article out and show them what his words mean.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I'm the sucker born on the minute....but I think they're going to make this happen. I've seen a few of the private e-mails Lutz has sent people, I think this is the real deal.

7. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 26 2007, 07:50 AM) [snapback]412224[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. It's frankly trivial to produce a PHEV. OK, the battery might have lost some capacity by the time it's 7 year old, but so what? 30 miles EV range instead of 40 miles is still fine for purchasers of a used car.

Tiny French outfit Dassault already have an order for 10,000 of their plug-in hybrid Cleanovas, which use lithium-ion power. If a tiny French company can bring a viable PHEV such as this one to the market, I don't see how GM can fail to produce something similar. It's not rocket science by any means.

8. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

Wahoo!! Your the man Bob!

9. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey, IF it happens, it would be great. But my money is on it's not going to until gas reaches $4.00 a gallon. And maybe even then it still won't.

10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 26 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]412384[/snapback]</div>
    Gas reaches $4/gal? That will be next summer at this rate.

11. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All righty then! Bush, Big Three Automakers Repeat Commitment to Alternative Fuels.

Are you done laughing yet? OK! Now, here's the punchline!

It's reported on Fox News!

Thank you! Thank you! Don't forget to tip the waitress!

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 26 2007, 03:50 AM) [snapback]412224[/snapback]</div>
    How could they NOT make it happen? The big question is: Why are they NOT making it happen today? The whole "wait for batteries" BS is what gets me the most. Technological hurdles? Nothing like what they did to get the EV1 on the road. And the hurdles of getting the Volt on the road are also insignificant when compared to the effort that GM put into dismantling the ZEV mandate that required those cars!

The Volt could be on the road today with the 10-year-old batteries in my Rav4.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 26 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]412384[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Mar 26 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]412392[/snapback]</div>
    It's $4.30/gal up here.

14. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 26 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]412553[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, but an EV would be far too reliable and there's no maintenance so the dealerships will go broke. No service plans, no oil changes, no starters, alternators, timing belts, etc. That has to be part of the problem. The auto mfgs are going to be killing a cash cow. Once somebody does it though, the others will have to throw in or they'll go the way of the dinosaurs.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    omg!! now he is trying to make it look like rocket science~!!~. we are talking about something that was put out 15 years ago!!. what is the problem here. this lame nice person excuse about battery technology is simply not cutting it.

i cant believe after the huge success of the half-step Prius that these people still have this all or nothing attitude. unless the car can go 600 miles on a charge, seat 7 people with luggage, charge in 5 minutes or less and cost less than $20,000 its not ready yet??!

hell with that~!!!

give me something that does 200 miles, seats 4 and charges in 10 hours or less for $25,000, do it today and i am ALL OVER IT!!

lets compare...

Toyota, gets good idea, implements it in stages with Prius versions 1, 2 and 3, each better than the last learning as they go. now they have an excellent product, a ton of data and snergy towards the next level.

or gm....sit, whine, complain. then in a lame attempt at grabbing a little bit of the spotlight other than another devaluation of their stock, they make this announcement. obviously everything that everyone wants to hear but also says it will not come out until its ready and fits the mainstream needs...maybe in 3 years. or maybe in 5...

well, lets face it, no matter when it comes, it will have growing pains just like any other product. the Prius 1st gen had issues and it took a few years to get it ready for the american market... i am betting gm will take longer so now im looking at a great solution in 10 years instead of a decent solution now building to a great one in 10 years

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, to basically supplement what Dave said, you can't do this overnight. Toyota took 10 years (more if you include the development stage) to achieve what they have done today (Just like how Lexus took 16 years to be where it is now).

Even Porsche is suffering. They wanted to buy/lease Toyota's hybrid system but Toyota said they have take the entire system and aren't allowed to lease/buy components. Porsche said no and now they're realising how tough it is to build a hybrid.

And they're not dumb. I'm sure Porsche has the very best in European engineers. I mean, they do make sports cars and have the aluminium monoque A8 L.

17. Hisamine

Hisamine New Member

I saw a gas station selling for 3.45 yeasterday. It will only get higher at a progressive rate.

18. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clett @ Mar 26 2007, 05:03 AM) [snapback]412226[/snapback]</div>
    You need to remember -- the French don't have to deal with the UAW. GM does.

If this project isn't in line with the UAW Party Line, then GM will fail.

My opinion?

GM will fail.