1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured GM, EVgo To Build A Bolt Fast Charge Network

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Apr 13, 2018.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It reaffirms the wisdom of a plug-in hybrid. A proprietary, charging station blocks installation of an open, plugin charging station at that location.

Bob Wilson

#2 bwilson4web, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For me, it reaffirms the wisdom of a Tesla :p
    That is for me though, each person has their own “wise choice”.
    I don’t see why a proprietary station blocks installation of an open charging station. Many locations that have a Tesla charger also have open stations as well.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    makes sense i guess, if you believe car sharing is the imminent future.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if people are confused on this thread. All bolts including the maven bolt use ccs. The maven bolts in austin charge at a public station that has chademo and ccs at 50 KW (free for some including all the bolts, $2/hr for others).

The article is about evgo building private ccs chargers for maven and gm, that won't be open to the public. Its not about a new standard, its about private instead of public chargers.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Upon further reflection, having two CCS cables with one dedicated to Maven works for me. Consider it like the airline model of first class and coach seating in the same airplane.

The operational scenario would be if a Maven vehicle connects to the EVSE, it takes priority even if it means reducing current to the non-Maven vehicle. Once the Maven load goes away, full capacity is available to the other vehicle.

Bob Wilson

7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There should not be any proprietary cable, its CCS. What will make them private is you need a phone app on the maven network with your bolt rented. That's hard to do publicly in a maven city like austin, because all public chargers need to be part of the municipal system, where you can buy a plug-in everywhere membership for $25/6 months to charge at any public charger in the city including the fast chargers. The city simply wouldn't allow you to throttle down power for "members" of a special maven group. I'm sure there is a patch work of regulations in these maven cities.

In austin maven is starting with only 20 bolts, so getting blocked isn't that likely or important, and I expect there will be no private stations here. Maven Cities like san francisco or LA though could get blocked, and perhaps they need dedicated fueling so other cars don't fill the spots by the chargers.