1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM in history: The American streetcar

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by EricGo, Feb 25, 2006.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Every time I am walking into a GM showroom I am being bombarded with outmost superiority of GM products over any other car maker. To me it is a put off. Haven't experienced it with other car manufacturers dealers. Maybe to some extend, but never to a level of my lack of patience. Having said that, all GM cars I have ever owned had some problems. Granted it's to be expected. When I take my problematic issue with the GM dealership (my personal experience) on those experiences alone I will not deal with GM for the rest of my life. I have never been so much disrespected, lied and coned. In other words when I walk to any other dealership with any problem, my experience is like from a different planet. First, whenever there is accountability for a defect I do get sincere apology (my case). The issue is addressed in a timely and satisfactory manner to me. When GM was only able to give me repeated sorry and nothing else.
    I am sorry but the quality of the product and quality of the SERVICE speaks for itself. GM is far from fulfilling both. They might spend hundreds of $$ on advertisement, it means nothing to me. This is my personal opinion without including experiences of my relatives or friends. I don't consider Prius to be the ultimate vehicle ever build and it might not suit all.
    If GM was the ultimate carmaker, its reputation would be recognized globally, sadly it isn't.

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had 2 GM cars in the past. A '87 Cavalier and a '97 Achieva. Both of which had issues, because no car is perfect. Neither one ever died on me once, let alone twice. To me, if Toyota SERVICE spoke for itself, it would have caught the sudden death bug the first time. To me, Toyota quality isn't what I had hoped.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I haven't deleted my post. Why don't you go back and read it ? I don't read the future any more than you do. In my post I *anticipate* failure, based on the reasons I gave. Agree or not, but at least don't twist my words. And for that matter, GM is so FOS. The 'value' proposition is not there when Toyota or Honda makes hybrids, but is when the car is GM ? Look at the ratios of hybrid cost premium to FE improvement, and tell me GM is not talking out of its arse. Pathetic double-talk. Let's not forget the latest and greatest message out of GM: "Keep on driving those SUVs! because Fool cells are just around the corner -- we got you covered!" And you wonder why GM is ridiculed.

Toyota may win the obnoxious award in your opinion, but that has nothing to due with the criticism I heap on GM for nurturing and expanding the bozo 'bigger is better' message. *Even* malorn would probably admit that Toyota has not made the market, but only exploited it for profit. Without the decades of propaganda from Detroit, this market would be a fraction of its current size. Only a fool would think otherwise, even for a second.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, I do. GM promises a 20% improvement with their mild hybrid for a 2K premium (system + content upgrades).

Let's look at the only model Toyota offers that has a non-hybrid version. The Highlander. Base price is 24, 530. Mileage is 24/27 (25.5). The hybrid starts at 33,030! And for slightly over 8K more, you get 33/28 (30.5 combined). So you're getting a bit over 20% more, for a bit over 8K more. And they wonder why the things haven't sold...

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I don't ridicule them for the VUE. Too little, too late, too expensive yes; but that is my opinion, and people that think differently can vote with their money.

I ridicule them for being a company that for the past 80 years has a remarkably consistent history of operating against society in amazing magnitude:

Prime mover of the collapse of public rail in the cities
    Pushing "more power" into Joe Idiot's consumer frame of reference
    Pushing "bigger size" into Joe Idiot's consumer frame of reference
    Pushing the lie of fool cells, and collecting massive federal gifts along the way
    Obstructing through propaganda the advance of hybrids for the past TEN years

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And how is the HH less expensive? And less worthy of ridicule?

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Toyota's quality has exceeded what I had always hoped GM's could be. There are too many people out there in America who have been seriously burned by GM's lackings. You sound like one of the lucky ones who didn't have to live the hell of buying a lemon from GM. Most Toyota buyers probably don't want GM to fail, I know that I don't, but we're not going back to GM and give them another chance to f**k us over. Perhaps the reason why we seem so obsessed with Toyota is because it's everything that GM is not. Try to understand that you haven't been burned by GM as we have been.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Most of you say that Gm has been run by fools for decades, but on the other hand blame them for the "supersizing" of American tastes. So if GM did not change public trans in the 20's and 30's you are saying that most folks would use electic trains and trolleys to travel? What exactly are you saying that GM changed?

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Why do you keep walking into GM showrooms then? :lol:

and, 2. How is this different from any other car manufacturer, or most other products? Ever hear of someone selling their product like something amongst these lines: "Well, our tensegrity unit isn't that great, so, I suggest you go across the street and visit our competitors..."

Kind of like the way every DVD has a great review written on the back cover...

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    She just likes to tease i guess.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They're all out to make money. Money is all that counts.

American car makers' strategy is to maximize profits by scrimping on quality control, appealing to Americans' patriotism while outsourcing parts to overseas manufacturers, begging/bribing lawmakers into giving them handouts and pressuring Japan to limit its exports to the U.S., and focusing on vehicles with high profit margin, like gas-guzzling SUV's, with misleading commercials touting safety, when those monstrosities are actually less safe overall. And of course sabotaging mass transit.

Japanese carmakers' strategy is to capture market share by producing better-quality product.

My first two cars were American-made because I wanted to support local companies and local workers. But those two cars were such total junk, that my next two cars were purchased based on quality, and Japan is where the quality is. My next car is likely to be Japanese also, but I'll read CU before buying, and see if the American companies have done a 180 and decided to give the patriotic American public a car that's worth buying, or whether they're still shafting poor Joe American. (I fully expect it to be the latter, though. I think it's a corporate culture that won't change overnight. And right now, the Prius is so far above anything else you can buy for under $200,000 that for the time being, it's Toyota for me.) (I wish Honda had developed the Prius, though. I was treated a LOT better by Honda than by Toyota, though both have treated me a lot better than American Motors. Yep, it was a long time ago I made the switch to Japan!)

12. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, those devious Japanese. Building quality cars that last forever and get good mileage. They KNEW that the American companies could never do that. Curses. :) :lol: :)

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

duplicate

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

But but but .. how can you possibly ignore the TWO year jpd data ??

:lol: ;)

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What are you refering to?

16. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    You can quit crowing about Toyota dealer's superior service anytime now, Carmen.

It took six trips to two different dealers to finally get them to replace the auto headlight level sensor on my Prius.

How many threads and posts have we read about dealer oil changes and over fills?

Nobody's perfect. It's just a *little* too disturbing to read of the glee from certain Prius owners over GM and the other US automaker's current situation.

17. Mystery Squid

...and I got shafted by my Toyota dealership on a spare tire...

...and had to wait for about 90 minutes for a "special" inspection process...

Only once (out of maybe 50) have I been to what I consider almost the perfect dealership, it was one of these HUGE shops outside of Boston: Boch. I think they're one of those guys that have a branch for each manufacturer...

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is fact that, toyota dealers leave a lot to be desired when it comes to servicing what they sell.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2005092a.gif

19. Mystery Squid

Ooooh good one Mal...

Seems like they even tracked it for 3 years, as opposed to some data sets I've seen people sling around, where only one 'perspective' was offered to support a point...

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Malorn, do you bother to read the analysis of the graphs you copy ?

CSI: -- customer satisfaction with the dealer during the warranty period(my emphasis)

The study finds that 51 percent of repair work involved a recall—up from 39 percent in 2004—reflecting, in part, a change in government regulations on mandatory reporting of vehicle safety defects. CSI scores are, on average, considerably higher for repairs that involve recalls, particularly in the area of service quality. Recall work often tends to garner higher satisfaction than typical repairs because dealers plan for and communicate the work to customers better. As recall repairs become routine, technicians become more efficient and consistent in fixing the problem.

ROFL !!