1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM in history: The American streetcar

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by EricGo, Feb 25, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh for god's sake. people start jumping up and down and screaming if the oil is almost touching the "full" mark. most people aren't happy unless it's halfway between full and add, for some unknown reason.

people come to priuschat to complain. and prius owners are insanely picky.

oh, and let's go and add on the fact that most people that have complaints go to an express lube where time>quality, not a real tech.

2. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh really.

how about cartoon girl saying "here's me. here i am at work. i'm going to "escape" in my ford. hee hee hee"

how about, for those of us who don't like country music, the whole "like a rock" advertising campaign

or, best of all the "happy honda-days" holiday commercial which made me want to hurl

and ohhh, if you could hear the local nissan dealer's radio commercial... my ears bleed every time i hear it. that kind of announcer, if he's gonna talk like that, belongs on freakin' fake-wrestling or something.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :lol: The last time (and I do mean the last) I went to one of those quick oil change places, I was driving a 1987 Bonneville which was the typical POS from you know who and when I drove away, every time I turned left I got this horrible screeching sound so I took it back and they discovered that the teenage high-on who did the oil change had forgotten to reattach the wheel well guard or whatever the heck it is. Ah, those were the days, POS car going to a POS oil change place in order to save $10. Good times.

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :lol:

typical.

just to clarify, since this was in relation to dealers... i was referring to a dealer quick lube. but still. same thing basically :blink:

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol:

The issue is CUSTOMER SERVICE, matters not whether it's for warranty, recall work, whatever (even though they say otherwise with respect to recall work, I don't totally buy it). It's all about when YOU walk into that dealership for SERVICE. Whether you pay for it or not, what the circumstance is, has little relevance, as you expect the best CUSTOMER SERVICE possible given your investment of tens of thousands of dollars.

You're putting your own spin on a selected portion in a futile attempt to try to negate malorn's point, which, of course, goes against what foaming-at-the-mouth Toyota Nazi's believe... :lol:

Let's even take your point:

Even if you correct for the 51% concept, what do you have? Does Toyota suddenly pop into the #1 spot? Does it go up a few notches?

:lol: :lol:

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nice try. so now you are blaming Toyota's service quality or lack thereof on a lack of recalls? It is no secret within the industry that Toyota has MAJOR issues when it comes to sales and service satisfaction. And did you forget about all of the recalls and campaigns that toyota had in 2005?

[Broken External Image]:http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/2005227a.gif

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :lol: oh wow, man, is this the oil plug? Whoa, is oil red? I knew I shouldn't get high before noon. Bummer.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

You would never believe how many repairs our stores do because of "stoners" doing the oil changes. On average about one new engine every month. :lol: Those "jiffy-lubes" have it built right into their prices.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "your" stores?

no mandatory randomized drug testing??

toyota does... :huh:

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No we don't randomize drug test. So you are saying Toyota dealers all do? I find that very hard to believe.

We do not have "quick-lubes" but we do have skilled techs changing oil instead of the guy that just lost his job taking out the garbage at McDonalds.

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I understand that business majors like yourself are ignorant of the basic principles of the scientific method, but instead seem to be taught to survey, survey, survey, until you see a datum to your liking.

Comparison between two groups that are different, yield results that may be affected by the grioup differences, and is therefore at best flawed. Comprende ?

Hang your pretty barcharts on the wall in your dealership, where they might fool someone. Here, they just make you look silly. So in all objectivity, you find CR's methods suspect, but you swallow this swill without a second thought ?

Carry on, Malorn. You amuse me.

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I am jealous of people who have a good local dealer for the Prius. The two dealerships in my city have co-ownership, and so far left a sour taste each time I ventured near.

I purchased out of town, will not take my car to them for maintenance, and if I have any choice, willl not go there for repair.

So, just to be clear:
    I am a Prius Zealot;
    Give a lot of (IMO earned) credit to Toyota the company;
    Tend to think that regional Toyota will act fairly;
    And consider a good dealer to be a stroke of luck.

The local Honda, and a nearby chevy dealer have the best local reps.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To my knowledge CR does not survey customers about their delaership experiences. So JD POWER is the best surveyor out there for dealership info. I am not a JD power fan. They are often times out surveying to further their automotive agenda.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I bought my previous car (an '89 Civic station wagon) I had narrowed the choice to a Corolla or the Civic. My choice came down to the two dealerships. The Toyota dealer (In Fargo, in 1988) was dishonest, condescending, and clearly didn't care whether I bought a car or not. He acted as though I was a pest he had to tolerate because the law would not allow him to evict car buyers from his dealership. The Honda dealer was honest, upright, friendly, and went the extra mile to make sure I got exactly what I wanted. After the sale I was invited to a new-owners orientation, and every time I went in for service (or the occasional repair) I was treated like royalty and offered a loaner. My car was always ready before the promised time. At that same time, a friend who went to the Toyota dealer for service reported that there were no loaners, her car was never ready when promised, and once it was ready, there was a very long wait for the "courtesy car" to pick her up.

That Toyota dealer improved by the time I bought my Prius. But still no loaners. They were polite but never especially friendly (other than the salesman who sold me the car - big improvement there!) and only average on service quality.

I'm happy with the service at the Toyota dealer here, but no comparison with Honda.

I've said this before: I wish Honda had built the Prius. Honda has a corporate policy of requiring its dealers to treat customers well. Toyota seems to have no corporate policy in this regard, leaving individual dealerships to operate as they see fit. Toyota equals great cars but lackluster service, unless you are lucky enough to find an exceptional dealership.

Toyota got my business by building the coolest car in the universe. But I miss Honda.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Eric, on Daniels point, Honda did far less recalls in 2005 than Toyota. so now what is your excuse? How else is the info skewed? :lol:

16. EricGo

EricGo New Member

My sentiments as well.

But mostly I miss having a car I can take to an independent. I hope that will change in the next couple of years, but I am not holding my breath.

17. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Oh come on, stop being obtuse.

Show that the groups are otherwise equal, THEN there is something to talk about.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Regardless of ANY numbers, it is wll-known in the industry what Toyota's achilles heel is. So far it has not appeared to hurt them very badly, but the problem with service and attitudes is getting worse at his point, not better. A good analogy would be to a Chevrolet dealer about 1972, you could make piles of money in spite of yourself.

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Well, dealerships in the south are friendlier than dealerships in the north, therefore, it is even further skewed in that respect....

Or,

Mid-western dealerships tend to be less friendly due to higher concentration of chlorine in their water, so the results are further skewed in that respect.

Or,

Most non-American dealerships are owned by Asians, who tend to exhibit greater family values, and this bleeds into the way they ultimately treat their customers....

Or,

dealerships that face the sun are more productive during those hours when the sun is, in fact, shining through windows of a particular size up front...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    EricGo must work in govt. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: