1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM is in ICU... news at 11:00

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by windstrings, Nov 21, 2005.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm thinkin more on the lines of a discover "if they will take it" and get my 1% back = 300.00!

Or even airline miles!

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Midwest.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

it won't work. the dealer will not take a credit card. all you can do is transfer a balance to a card. Unless, of course you are paying cash, then that's not good for you.

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah.. bummer... so far my broker has treated me nice... I'd loose too much money to travel that far, when I already get a good price here....

But I'm thinkin about ya!....
    Seriouslyl... Toyota will serve you and your family much better... they hit the mark whether in economic feast or famine, because they are sensitive to market.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ok.. so suppose I could pay cash.. how would I handle the transaction?
    Do you mean pull cash off the card?

I doubt they would give you cudos for using cash... and then I really best pay it off before due.. the interest rate is rediculous.

So how did you use a card?.. and why did you choose to use it?

6. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

Actually, just a an email from a Toyota dealer in NJ.. 2005s for $500 below MSRP!! Just this wekend, but 7-45 days for delivery... I would take the 45. Now it would just depend on what packages these 05s are. :rolleyes:

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

If your interested.. my broker is getting my 2006 for 500 under MSRP.... but you would need to see what arrangements you could make for delivery to your house unless you can here for pickup.
    I know he has agreed to arrange delivery to folks home as far as Seattle area.. which is about 250 miles, but I don't know how much farther he could arrange... For all I know there is no limit... you or I would need to ask.

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

OK, I didn't intend to buy my Prius with cash. I wanted to buy it with a credit card to get points. Dealer wouldn't take my credit card. So, I took out a loan (4.2%). No way to get points, but I still didn't want to pay the bank 4.2%. That's like $4000 in interest. So, my car would now be over $30000. So, I got myself a credit card which had 0% on balance transfers for 1 year. I transferred the balance from the bank to that credit card. Now, I do not use that card for anything else, otherwise you get screwed. So, if I don't pay it off in a year, I'll just transfer the remaining balance to another 0% card. Worse come worse, let's say I can't find a card with 0% I'll be able to get the money somehow, since the amount shouldn't be that significant any more. You just really can't miss a payment or be late, they will change the 0% to like 20%. I've never been late or missed a payment.
    Does that make sense?

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep... I just wanted the points too... I figure the 1% points they give would be an extra 300.00 credit on my account.... I could do the same... all I have to do is find out what they will take balance transfers from and make the loan on that medium. :(
    This little plot may not work.... :huh:

thanks..

Opps.. come to think of it.. I don't think they give cudos on balance transfers!
    They must have played this game before! :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

right no points on balance transfers

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Still off subject a bit.....
    Ha!.. I know this is not very classy to respond to yourself, but that way I don't have to repeat myself.....

If you wanted delivery within a couple of hundred miles it would cost nothing to very little..... to the 3 surrounding states.. anywhere in Washington "like Spokane", Oregon, or Idaho... would cost about 450.00 to deliver.. farther than that starts to become non cost effective.

12. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

Thanks... I live Upstate NY. Better fill in my profile!@

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ask some friends of even get out the phone book and look for a "car broker or locator"... they should be able to pull strings and get you what you want from where you want it!

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Comments on:
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_3245016?rss

Yea.... agreed.....

Yea.. thats a distraction all right.. the big powerful unions that protect those that should be fired!..... this is an "excuse" for their failure!...... not a reason!.. they just need someone besides thier own executive decisions to blame.

This also is true.... Its so pathetic that its almost to the point that we need to start at scratch and start over.. or just let someone else make our cars!

The American companies don't want to pay the price for a total revamping of tools and equipment.... it would affect the profits too much and the profit share!.. so because they play it safe, they may be loosing it all!

The best thing the American companies could do is quit trying to play catchup.. they are already toooooo far behind.. they need to do the same game Toyota has done.... which is to come in with a whole new technology... and not do it half brass... that too has been thier big mistake!

If your going to do the miraculous and step out of the boat to walk on water.... you better do it with all your heart with full faith, or don't do it at all.. The faint hearted better just play it safe and stay in the boat, its what they have done the last decade anyway!

That should not be a problem!.... "unless they have been dipping into the retirement banks?"

Well thats the sad state of affairs folks!......
    What made GM great once upon a time was that it brought new cutting edge products to the market!.. they have since fallen asleep!... They got too fat and lazy!

Now either they need to die gracefully or apply the same principles that made them great in the first place!... again.. bring new cutting edge technology to the market!... But I they have quite a challenge to compete against the asians.... they need a whole new game! ..... Toyota is already too far ahead in playing this game.... and they are not slowing down!

GM has spent years "covering up" technology while the Asians have spent years revealing it!

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Right. If GM et al had rolled those nice profits into new plant and production techniques, in addition to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles, they wouldn't be in the mess they are now in.

The troll Malorn once asked me how I'd feel if my engineering job was replaced by an Asian. Well, I've actually received offers from Asian firms to relocate.

China is where all the REAL action is now, at least in the context of technology and engineering. They have enormous population and pollution pressures, and I'm the first to admit they appear to be tackling those issues. Less than half a year ago I was a diehard sceptic, but a few business trips later, I'm convinced.

For the devices we engineer and other devices we improve, we might as well make the default character set Chinese. Compared to North American orders, Chinese orders are 3:1 higher.

I'm reminded of when the FieldBus devices (DeviceNet, ControlNet, ProfiBus, AS-I Bus, Foundation FieldBus, etc) were first introduced: the "traditional" North American companies foo-foo'd the idea and clung to ancient 5-15psi air gauges and 4-20mA analog control loops.

"Can't rock the boat ... too new ... don't scare the Sheeple ... it can't really be THAT easy to install ..."

Early in my career I remember trudging around a plant tagging individual 4-20mA cables, making sure the termination and polarity was correct in the process box at the Hiway Gateway, running DEB/PED to reconstitute the control points I had just wired ... 3 hours later I might be done.

Now I add something like a Coriolis mass flow meter (Useful for 2 phase and 3 phase gas flow analysis) in much less time. Instead of running cable, I just plug the meter into the nearest Turck segment brick and walk back to the control room.

In 2-3 minutes the segment will auto-discover with the Link Active Scheduler and present the new device in the control builder page. I just confirm the device, click and drag to where I want it in the process, assign Function Blocks and behavior, and push the changes.

Less than 10 minutes of my time for a process solution that has 1/3 to 1/4 the total wiring, offers efficiency gains 2-3 times conventional 4-20mA control loops, is truly redundant and distributed as any device in the segment can be the Backup Link Active Schedular, and was installed in 1/2 to 1/4 the time.

The Asians - starting fresh with Green Field plants - took the plunge. After all, for Green Field a FieldBus is 1/3 to 1/4 the cost to install than traditional clunky 4-20mA. In return they achieved enormous production efficiencies, much tighter x-bar limits, and much easier implementation to future ISO 9K quality and ISO 14K environmental requirements.

It's absolutely criminal that the various industries here in North America didn't follow suit. Profit cycles usually come and go, it's wise to upgrade plant and capital equipment when you are able to.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think there is a danger of being replaces as long as we are updating and/or becoming very skillful in what we do. Its when we get lazy and don't care about our profession that someone else who cares more passes us up and our company want to hire them because they can do a better job. Whats funny is they can do a better job for less pay.... thats the really painful part. The days of showing up to work and doing the same thing for 20+ years without advancing are over.

They don't because we live in crisis mode.. nothing gets addressed unless its a crisis!
    We are not proactive in our decisions. We don't see in the future. If we drove that way, we would not make it 5 miles without a wreck!
    The fat cat executives in the lofty leather chairs will not approve funds that will take steaks off of their own table!

We must look at the traffic ahead and alter our course accordingly!
    We are too greedy to allow improvements to be made for a need that doesn't exist yet! That cost money man!.... What are we thinkin?
    We put out fires rather than prevent them.
    Big Corporation usually "sucks"... they make all of thier decisions while out of touch with the workers who know the needs and earn thier bread and butter. When they "do" ask the workers opinions, they have already made thier decisions beforehand and so only appease them by making them feel like they were part of the decision making process. But its all an illusion.

GM now has a big fire to put out.....
    I hope GM has lots of water.

17. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, yes, GM DID ruin the diesel market in the US with the Olds 350 DIEsel engine. This was back in the day when GM had nearly 50% of the domestic market across all of their divisions. That engine, along with a 4.3L V6 version under the Buick name, was used in everything from their 1/2 ton trucks, to their plushest Cadillacs. Only the Chevette and LUV pickups escaped that nightmare as they used Isuzu engines in their diesel optioned vehicles. When you hold that much of the market, and then drop a self destructing bomb like the 350 diesel on it, then refuse to honor the warranties, and then refuse to take them in trade, causing a class action lawsuit, you pretty much sour an entire market to a technology. EPA regulations didn't do their damage untill long after the public started running away from diesel cars.

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thats my first memory of GM screwing up too.... true.. my hats off to them for trying to do something new... but they did the same old trick as they are "still" doing today !.... Releasing half baked cakes!!!!!

If you're going to do something new... do it with all your might..... and then some!... or don't do it at all!... Its almost like opening a new company..if you do it half way.. it will crash!.... They forgot the basic principles of success because they thought they could never fall.. they were much too powerful and big... "yea they thought"!

It will always take more energy to break into something new!.. but instead they did a "token" of the diesel to try and steal the market.... the market trusted them as they rode off of thier good name, but then the market got so burn't they were always wary after that.

Gm thought they were so big, so powerful, that they could take and chance and if it failed.... they could just bag out or get bailed out.... either way it was trashy business. I don't feel they ever took a risk because they dodged the pain when it failed. They should have learned and attempted again to break a new market. Maybe they just admitted they were "loosers?"

If they would have done it right the first time... there may not even be gas engines today!... they could all be diesel by now! True, diesel releases soot, but far far less harmful gases. You can let a diesel run in the garage with you at the same time and the exhause till not kill and poison you... try that with gas and it will affect you 100 times faster with C01 "carbon monoxide"!
    It takes far less refining to produce diesel and those engines can be modified to run alternative fuels. But here we are, still running around using poisonous Gasoline!

GM dropped the ball rather than making it right?

They should have tested it furthur instead of jumping the gun and try to steal the market with a half baked cake.

I know this sounds like a GM bashing and its getting old... "I agree".. but the song keeps on playing until folks get on the right page..... I can't believe people defend GM and its philosophy......
    I'm convinced...... all those who support GM cars, have never had anything different.

I rarely hear stories of people trying Toyota or other foreign cars and then going back to GM.... its always stories of finally leaving and breathing the fresh air and never going back!...

America is speaking with thier pocket books!....

Look at Toyota now.... I believe they have been dabbling with hydrogen technology for about 5 years or so... "correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm going by memory" and they still have not released thier hydrogen car! Why?... because they know its far more damaging to release a premature project than than to give an image of success that's only a beautiful bubble that pops and disappears and the fantasy is gone!

19. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Courtesy of Google Alerts, an interesting editorial from The China Post - based in Taiwan:

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow!.. nice article!...and to quote the quote:

That just about sizes it up!!! Wow!... perfect!