1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM: Lutz watch

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Feb 13, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

GM exec:Hybrids unlikely to take more than 10% of U.S. market - MarketWatch

As I've suspected, Lutz leads the GM anti-hybrid effort. I've met a GM product engineer and what he told me pretty well echo's Lutz's direction. If they make anything with half a chance, Lutz cripples it. Lutz is 78 years old, born 1932, but might as well be 100 years. Nothing short of a forced retirement, medical or otherwise, will change him:
    Thanks to Lutz
    GM goes busts
    Bob Wilson

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It does appear to those of us looking in from outside that he is somewhat out of touch. Perhaps it's time for him to retire and let some new blood in?

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When a company is short-sighted from a financial perspective and only looks at quarter to quarter profitability, then investing in any new product where the payoff is longer than one year is always a losing proposition.

Unfortunately, too many American companies look a business this way. Detroit is committing financial suicide.

Keith

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob Lutz is to the autoworld what Terrell Owens is to the NFL

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The irony of the loudest voice endorsing Volt being the biggest hold up for hybrid growth is a sad reality. It's too bad he didn't retire like he said he would.

That green "halo" he seeks isn't reality. Image only goes so far. It always boils down to selling vehicles. Low profit margins are something he strongly dislikes, high-volume is too. Abundant affordable vehicles aren't sexy or flashy. They're practical for consumer & automaker. He doesn't want that. Efforts are doomed to niche as a result.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't they say that cultures often go through major changes every 50yrs or so? Not solely because of a major shift of attitude but because those who are in control of the country die and take their unchanging opinions with them? lol

2 people like this.
  7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think GM will have to die before the culture can change. It isn't a resource problem, it isn't a technology problem, it isn't a personnel problem, it's a management and culture problem.

1 person likes this.
  8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Bob what percent of the market do you think hybrids will account for by the end of this year? When will hybrids reach 5%? How about 10%? What percent of the US market were they in 2009? Maybe Lutz is just too honest?

2009 US Prius Sales--139,682--1.34% of the US Market
    2009 US Insight Sales--20,572--0.20% of the US Market
    I know some Camry hybrids were sold, honda hybrids, ford Hybrids and GM hybrid, but hopefully you get my point. do you think it was even 2% of the US market?

2009 US Light Vehicle Sales--10,431,718

9. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you assume $2.32/gallon, the hybrid/BEV march will be stifled. What happened when we saw 3-5/gallon? What do you think will happen at $10?

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We won't care about the price of gas long before it would get even close to $10/gallon. A simple understanding of the laws of supply and demand, what happened to the world economy when oil was $150/barrel? The economy plunged and reduced demand. What kind of shock do you have in mind? Peak oil? How long have we been told about that? I am not saying that over time there won't be upward pressure on the price of oil, but I think long before the price would even get to $5/ gallon consistently gasoline will have been replaced as the main fuel in the economy.

11. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With what, pray tell?

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am not sure, but do you really think gasoline will get to $10/gallon and there won't be an alternative? You don't understand human nature.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which economy? Here's a chart of global gas prices - many people have been paying $5 or more for quite some time. As far as I know, most of their countries still rely pretty heavily on petroleum.

1 person likes this.
  14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Different economic model, those countries choose to tax gasoline very heavily. do you think they pay more per barrel? the tax in the Netherlands is more than $4.00/gallon. What do you think happens to global economy if gas appraoches $5.00/gallon again? Yes and when the economy drops what happens to the demand for gas? And then what happens to the price?

15. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess I don't.

I think there will be a range of alternatives; that among these will be hybrids, bevs, cng, mass transit, bicycles, motorcycles, and shoe leather.

What is GM offering me? The Volt will fit some of us, if it is ever made in volume. What else you got? We've already toyed with $5 gas, killed our economy, and what change ensued? Well, Ford seems to get it. Ford and Toyota can put their hybrid system in much of their lines at reasonable cost. Honda recently decided to reinvent their hybrid, and I believe they will make that happen.

Leaf looks very promising for another segment of us.

Don't see enough out of GM or Chrysler at present.

My point is the alternatives don't come from a mountain spring. We need to make progress before the next crisis. Today's 50 mpg is an improvement. 75 is coming in 2012. 100 will come. BEV's will gradually supplant ICE, offering >100 mpge.

16. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So your vision is a policy of encouraging boom and bust? Better to raise our taxes to finance the military that ensures the flow of oil and to discourage consumption, thus giving a longer more stable transition to the magical non-gas future.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the US chooses to heavily subside its gasoline prices, hiding the true costs. Seems to me that's not working out so well. The US auto industry still needs bailouts, and refuses to build efficient cars.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    the true cost of gas? Do you mean military costs? What other cost is there?

US does not build efficient cars? How about they don't build hybrids which account for less than 2% of US sales. Every other market segment a US company either is leading or tied for the lead when it comes to fuel efficiency.

Did yo umean Toyota = fuel efficiency becuase they sell 10,000 Prius a month. I think the toyota=efficiency will follow the Toyota= reliability right out the door.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So raising taxes will discourage boom and bust? How about higher taxes will encourage bust?

I took note of all the economic powerhouses at the top of the high gas price list. I also noted that China fails to show up, a place where the price of gas is truly subsidized. how is there economy doing?

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. You've never heard the term 'environmental cost'?