1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM may be "bought out"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Syclone, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, I accidently pulled the trigger before I even started - premature articulation?

I've had a lot of contact with GM engineers from both the Chevy division and the performance division over the past year. Every one of them has, basically, sung the same tune. They are being prevented from doing anything new and innovative by management which is, essentially, being dictated to by the bean counters.

The Impala, and the Malibu ( I'm using these models because I have been renting both for periods of up to 2 weeks for a year). Both are good cars. They need "pizazz" They need new interiors. What the GM engineers are allowed to do is look in the "parts bin" and select components from other divisions, domestic and overseas. As long as there are minimum R&D costs attached. What ends up happening is a warmed up mess of mediocore products. One engineer wanted to update the seating in the Malibu with a seat design taken from Saab. He wasn't allowed because it would have cost a few pennies more than the budget. GM does't have a single modern V6 or V8 engine block in the corporation. Even Corvette is still using the ancient Chevy "short block" - upgraded and powerful, but still a 50 year old design. Now they are stuck because they don't have the capitol to go to more modern, efficient designs. The short sightedness goes on and on!

Comments on my Prius were that GM would never do something like that, even though engineering would love to, because it would be a loser for at least 5 years before the design was perfected - no bean counter support for that! Well, guess who bit the bullet and did it?

Unless something drastic is done - GM will finally nickel and dime itself into the ground.

2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

30 years ago, cars were image. Period. Considerations of fuel economy were rare to non-existent; no one really had much of an objective idea of relative reliability. And the economy was not outsourced, with stagflation hanging over us like a cloud.

Times have changed, but GM has not. Now, when a consumer wants economical and reliable transportation, they *know* who is who, and what to avoid. Marketing can only take a product so far when the core is rotten.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jul 3 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]280570[/snapback]</div>
    According to http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...AMU&refer=japan, " The 2007 model will be available early next year in California, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine and New Jersey, Nissan said in a statement. Sales are being limited to states that have adopted versions of California's so-called zero-emissions vehicle mandate, which requires the largest automakers to offer hybrids, spokesman Kurt Von Zumwalt said." I've heard similar stories about having to meet CA emissions requirements.

I guess you didn't read my three links earlier regarding Ghosn. Nissan apparently was near bankruptcy and now he's gotten rid of its debt and its one of the most profitable automakers now.

Their quality is another story and I tend to agree w/you there. The Infiniti QX56, Armada, Titan, and Quest have had a VERY BAD reliability showing so far. Unfortuntaely, part of the blame is due to a new design in a brand new new plant w/new workers. The first model year (03) 350Z also is very unreliable. They do have some pretty reliable models though like the older Maximas, Pathfinder, QX4 and I30/I35.