1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM, Nissan, Tesla intro new EVs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eheath, Jan 15, 2013.

1. eheath

eheath Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Subject line says it all...

Cadillac, Nissan, Tesla Launch New Electric Vehicles

by Jonathan Spira
    [​IMG]

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  3. southernguy

southernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    uhh....you selectively quoted that...you left out "NATION'S" which means it is the largest US manufacturer, which is correct.

Here is the FULL QUOTE: "On Tuesday, GM, the nation’s largest automaker, unveiled the Cadillac ELR, a luxury version of the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, and said it would be offered for sale later this year."

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill, that was terribly misleading, I am a bit surprised that came from you.

lensovet likes this.
  5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing new from Toyota?

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I was bullied in another similar thread basically because of same car presentation to the masses.
    GM is not introducing any innovation. They are relabeling a sub-par quality product with probably more weight and some bling at a higher ticket price. Certainly is another Avant-garde means of transportation with a vast $$ fringe benefits

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm sorry but over the decades (starting with my Chevy Vega) I've learned that GM's "statements" always have an asterisk next to it. In this case they left the asterisk out altogether. The asterisk would have stated something like, " we only made it to #1 (in the U.S. - not the world) because;
    Japan got hit by a devastating tidal wave
    Japan got hit by a devastating earthquake
    Japan was hit by a nuclear meltdown
    Japan lost electrical power ... etc. ... & because
    The United States bought most of GM's nearly worthless stock
    GM declared bankruptcy - forcing the public to pay superfunds to clean up GM's 100's of acres of abandoned / toxic manufacturing sites - and GM's creditors to eat there debt".
    Yea ... excuse me for MY misleading

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is a difference between electrified vehicle and electric vehicle.

Nissan and Tesla introduced electric vehicles. GM introduced an electrified vehicle (PHEV to be specific).

telmo744 likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Well apparently we're supposed to give slack here while talking about GM goods ;)
    I'll segway then. Is the Caddy hybrid suposed to only be a 4 seater? By looking at those cushy front seats in the article's picture, it'd be hard to imagine jam'in a 5th one in there.

Oh - and piggybacking off usb's comment (regarding difference between) ... Nissan didn't even introduce a new vehicle. They just dropped the price. You'd have to make a leap that price (or alternated features) qualifies as a new vehicle. Can the Volt be re-packaged as a Caddy? Isn't that (in part) how GM went bankrupt in the 1st place? ... changing the chrome molding, hubcaps, carburater, tail lights and calling the vehicle a different vehicle under multiple brands? Do people still buy into that? ... puts tons of luxury stuff in the same car, with a different sticker, and now boom ... it's a "better" car that's worth the extra money. Guess I'm over thinking it ... but why not just call feature laden Volt what it is ... it's the expensive Volt. I know ... Lexus / Toyota and everyone else does it too.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that GM has done some terrible things and made some terribly misleading statements, but I thought you were better than them.

For you to quote the article as saying "GM ... largest auto maker" when what the article said was "GM, the nation's largest automaker" is dishonest.

GM's bad behavior does not excuse yours.

lensovet and austingreen like this.
  11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup, the same 4 seater classified as a compact car. Still requires premium gas and 12 hours to recharge from 120V plug. 9 cubic feet cargo volume so one golf bag should fit.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No slack needed, just hold back on the dishonesty please;)
    Yes, it is a four seater.
    Frankly, I was hoping for more electric range. The interior is very nice, and they definitely put more effort into the styling. But what is important to me isn't the styling, it is the range and cutting down on oil use.

I don't believe they have announced price yet, but I just don't see much appeal to it. Some, but not much. GM doesn't either, as I recall they are planning on a limited run of 1500.
    Hopefully some that would have bought Caddies anyway will buy a more efficient ELR.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Cadillac Shows ELR With Powertrain Beloved by Volt Owners - Bloomberg

There you have a possible price, and an analyst's volume projection.

Which means that many on these threads are not correctly looking at the car

Its about image of the brand. They aren't trying to get high sales. Keeping the battery size the same keeps costs down for the car. Still I was expecting an announcement of small changes to the ice/hybrid system, and there were none. There still is hope that GM simply is waiting to announce these to not hurt current volt sales, but the only drive changes for the ELR may be software.

lensovet likes this.
  14. southernguy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

let'see...VW Phaeton -> Bentley Flying Spur & Audi A8...BMW 7 series -> Roll Royce Ghost.. Mercedes E Class -> Chrysler 300. . VW Golf -> Audi TT.. Toyota Aygo ->Citroen C1 & Peugeot 107. Multiple Honda -> Rover....etc etc etc

GM isn't just "changing the chrome molding, hubcaps, carburate [sic], tail lights" they are simply using the platform. Its called platform sharing and EVERY automaker does it. And the Ghost, Flying Spur, 300, and TT are all successful vehicles as well as the cars they are based upon.

15. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    No, it's basically" changing the chrome molding, hubcaps, GUI, tail lights" to please certain hip crowd. Ah forgot, GM may include the remote controlled pneumatic shocks:eek:

16. southernguy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No different then what all the other companies INCLUDING TOYOTA do...lest we forget all Lexus models

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Come on, it is more than that. The front suspension is different, although the rear is torsion beam. :eek:

It has more power and quicker than Volt. Still, the top speed is 100 mph and 0-60 acceleration is just 2 seconds faster than Prius, for $75k? :censored:

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really, materials, exterior, interior, etc are major changes. The changes probably are more than on how the Camry becomes the Lexus ES, or Highlander becomes the Lexus RX. There is always a market for such changes when done well. This is a different idea though, and is more about rehabilitating Cadilac's reputation than selling vehicles.

southernguy likes this.
  19. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    did usbseawolf2000 give his account to dbcassidy?

20. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Right now we are talking about a "concept car ". Lets wait and see what would GM present us by 2014, hopefully will introduce an extended EV range for the life sake of the Caddi bling spenders.
    Who knows, GM may include a pair of goldish hanging testicles in the rear end of the vehicle to.