1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM: Not Making Hybrid a 'Mistake' so says Lutz

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by C.RICKEY HIROSE, Mar 29, 2008.

1. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Suppose you had the option of buying either a domestic truck, say a Ford F150, or a Prius. Which decision would result in more total spending on imports? I'm pretty sure it's the F150. Because of the fuel. At least, that's what I get when I plug in some plausible values (domestic content of the vehicle, sales price, MPG, fraction of oil imported, and so on), and value everything at retail prices.

People who consider it an act of economic patriotism to use a domestic gas-guzzler as their grocery-getter maybe ought to do a little arithmetic. It's not clear that their decision actually leads to reduced total imports, over the life of the vehicle.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good point!

3. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Eh...try again by looking up actual numbers rather than pulling stuff out of you know where. The best ratings possible (smallest engine, manual tranny) from fueleconomy.gov

Aveo: 27 combined (24 city/34 highway) vs 40

Malibu: 25 combined (22 city/30 highway) vs 35

The reality is that none of the manufacturers even Toyota are doing everything they can to get better mpg. They try to get the best they can for the cheapest they can. Or else VCM/Displacement on Demand/cylinder deactivation would not be taking so long to be put in more vehicles with it only costing a small amount to include

Pointing out the facts that GM has not done well with their car mpg is not shoving anything down your throat. No one forced a gun to your head to visit a hybrid enthusiast website. Once upon only a small percentage of people owned cars as well. And each person who has a hybrid is likely to have a significant fuel savings (50% in my case coming from another car). That is what is great about America though, people have the right to make dumb decisions. Just don't bitch to me about how much that decision is costing now.

The problem is, most people don't take that kind of time to reason out their decision. They buy the American Revolution, Reclaim your Manhood or whatever slogans and advertisements say about what vehicle you need, it's mpg or whatever.