1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM President . . . time to electrify and educate

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Again...we see a group that supports and finances anti-public education politicians for its selfish business goals and then decries the problems its anti-education policies create.

Also interesting how money is central to the Business Roundtable members own public policy concerns, subsidies, regulator and trade policies from the government and taxpayers to increase their profits, yet when money for education is proposed, raised via taxes on income, they say how education can do without money while claiming it is essential for business.

If Business Roundtable advocated smaller classrooms, well maintained local schools, high pay for teachers for the future engineers and the taxes to pay for them, they would have some credibility. On education, they have no credibility, same for GM which we see advocating for the two policies it has steadfastly fought for decades, electric cars and public education.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I agree with Bill ... and enjoy the change as well ... and hope this time it's real. It's a 180 from the 'Old GM' ... if in fact there's a difference:
    [​IMG]

3. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No doubt it's the exception to the rule, but educators aren't always waving the flag for increased engineering admissions. I recall a math professor warning the class about engineering as a profession. A couple of issues are those unpredictable boom/bust funding cycles (automotive, defense industry, etc) and saving money by replacing older, more expensive engineers with new engineering grads. Companies lobbying for increased H1B visa quotas and sometimes paying those engineers much less. And then the ugly outsourcing issue. If I'm not mistaken, just a couple of years ago most new engineering grads were struggling for job offers. Add to that a more challenging future given our fiscal climate with a looming need to cut funding for defense and other public programs and you have a risky proposition for new engineering grads.

4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The more things change for GM, the more they stay the same.

DBCassidy

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'ma jump in out of left field and have a say (my first post here in maybe 6 months).

Some (maybe a lot) of Hollywood and the entertainment industry has and still does 'dis' and make fun of scientists and engineer types. Forgot what movie it was, but recall a scene with a crowd of white shirt, tie, glasses and pocket protector clad engineers walking briskly after some hot woman. Forgot the setting, but it was made to have the engineers look like total dorks.

Some, maybe most teenagers want to be cool, not study physics and be one of those white overcoated scientist/ engineer types (I'm stereotyping). The Show Big Bang Theory has lead guy as a skinny, analytical loser with the ladies.

Does Japan, China and India 'dis' scientists and engineers in pop culture, movies and all? I don't know but wouldn't be surprised if they hold their technical individuals in higher regard. (sp?)

6. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Heroes in "Avatar"...a minor hit I know. I think the Fox Newers have it right that most of Hollywood is liberal, pro-science, anti-Snidely Whiplash corporate types out to loot the planet or steal little Nel's lovely ranch.