1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM says Two Mode Hybrid System Trumps Competition

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tempus, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I would think that the base Matrix 2wd auto is probably closer to the Prius than most that have been compared in this rant. Almost the same weight, hight, HP, and size. An Echo isn't the same class at all. Corrola a bit closer but I think the Matrix is even closer.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you want to see a head to head between the Prius and the Echo get Car and Driver Sept 04

The 'Frugalympics' article.

Ratings Results:

HCH - 91 points (primarily on sporty handling)
    Prius - 90 points
    Jetta TDI - 78 points
    Echo - 3 points

Comparing the Prius to the Echo for functionality is a joke. The Prius is a reasonable family car with major safety features. The Echo is something from another age.

If you want to see an honest attempt to evaluate mileage, get Motor Trend May 04. The "State of the Hybrid Nation" article.

There's an extensive analysis of RL data for hybrids with correction factors proposed for EPA ratings.

Results for "Combined" mileage:

04 Insight - 60.6
    04 Prius - 54.3
    03 Prius - 47.4
    04 HCH - 46.2

3. DanP

DanP Member

The data you cited at GreenHybrid is, on its face, of dubious value since we're dealing with self-selected respondents. A cardinal rule of survey research is to _never_ trust results gathered from a self-selected sample. Even so, the median value on the list for second-generation Priuses is about 48 mpg (just about what I'm getting on my current tank of gas, according to the computer, btw).

As for comparison, you are correct that that is the crux of the issue. The ideal comparison would be to an ICE Prius, allowing us to control for the Prius's slippery shape, which has nothing to do with HSD, but which does contribute to its fuel economy performance. Of course, there is no such animal, so that comparison is impossible. That does not render anything "moot," however, since there are other cars of similar size and power.

Remember, please, that we're talking about fuel economy and the hybrid system's effect on such fuel economy. We're not talking about shopping for a new car. The latter question demands that we take a whole host of factors into consideration, and I must agree with you that the Prius is a rather attractive choice, having bought one last month (silver, package 6, love it). The former question is just a matter of comparing cars of similar power-to-weight ratios on the basis of gas mileage.

The best comparison would be to an Echo with 800 lbs of weights distributed throughout the car--similar shape, similar power, similar weight--but I know of no such testing. The next best comparison would be the Corolla. Granted, it's a little smaller inside: rear leg room is 3 inches less, and hip and shoulder room are about an inch or two less, and it might not be available in Salsa red, but those are shopping variables--not fuel economy variables. It weighs a couple of hundred less than the Prius biasing the comparison in its favor, but the Corolla's somewhat larger engine and better performance biases the comparison in the Prius's favor.

It is patently foolish, however, to compare the fuel economy of a 110 hp, 2,900 lb car to that of a 160 hp, 3,300 lb car--still less to that of a 200+ hp car. The "midsize" class is made up entirely of cars having at least 160 hp, with performance characteristics that put the Prius in its place as a compact car, so far as performance is concerned. Yes, it's a rather large and heavy compact car, but the Prius's performance characteristics positively cry out "compact".

By the way, I don't appreciate being called a liar or intellectually dishonest, and I'm having some difficulty interpreting the following in any other way:

"I understand why you chose the Echo to compare, you understand (though claim ignorance) why I chose Camry."

To my mind, that's rather rude.

4. DanP

DanP Member

It was never anyone's intention to compare them as whole cars--only as gas sippers. The topic here is not "Which car should I buy?" The topic is "How much does HSD contribute to fuel economy? 25%? 50%? 90%? 100%?"

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In no way does that call you a liar, but you have persisted in claiming that while the echo makes a fair comparison (your selected vehicle) that the Camry doesn't (not really my choice, but the best vehicle size choice). I did not intend for that to be rude, but you've been extremely selective in your choice of what points to counter and which to ignore in all your posts. Sure, that's a good debating technique, but not very intellectually honest or fair.

Also, I think you put far too much weight on the value of HorsePower in the comparisons. If two vehicles can offer similar actual performance, similar size/weigh/cargo/passenger capacity, etc. You undervalue the superior torque of the electric motor which makes up for much of what is lost in the lower HP. When do you need HP? Not when cruising at a constant speed which is what we do 90% of the time while driving, you need it to develop torque for acceleration/passing/hill climbing. The electric motor of the Prius provides the torque (295 lb ft Prius, 163 lb ft Camry...Echo isn't even on the same page). Again, it's still not a fair comparison, but we now both agree that's nearly impossible.

So what are we argueing about again? Oh yea...is 25% bad...we've all ageed that it isn't 'bad', but it isn't great. Does Prius achieve it's goal of 50% improvement? Many of us think so, you pose the Echo as 'evidence' that it doesn't, we propose other equally non-ideal candidates as 'evidence' that it does.

6. DanP

DanP Member

The Echo? I thought I was pretty clear about offering the Corolla as a more appropriate comparison. As for horses, remember that the electric motor is factored into the Prius's hp rating of 110, so it doesn't make much sense to say the electric motor "makes up for" the lack of horsepower. The electric motor's higher torque might make the Prius feel a bet peppier off the line, but its 0-60 and quarter mile times (i.e., its how-well-does-it-get-me-into-the-flow-of-traffic times) and its 45-65 times fit nicely into the compact class:

0-60 -- 10.5 sec
    45-65 -- 6.4
    Quarter mile -- 18.1

Compare those numbers with the Corolla (auto, 4 cyl):

0-60 -- 9.8
    45-65 -- 6.0
    Quarter mile -- 17.5

Or the Civic (auto, 4 cyl):

0-60 -- 10.3
    45-65 -- 6.3
    Quarter mile -- 18.0

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And your choice of the Echo for comparison is fundamentally invalid. That's the point people are making, though you clearly disagree.

The Echo is basically an enclosed go-kart. The Prius is a modern automobile.

Remember also that the Prius is not tuned for Fuel Economy. It is tuned for minimum emissions, with Fuel Economy a by-product. If the programming of the Prius were adjusted to maximize mileage, it would win by a far wider margin.

The Hondas basically ignore Emissions, and still can't match the HSD mileage.

But, for the sake of arguement, let's look at the Echo.

Giving the (automatic) Echo the benefit of a doubt using the combined EPA mileage of 36, let's compare to the Prius combined mileage of 54.3 from the Motor Trend tests. Heck, let's just use 54 for ease.

That's a 50% improvement right there.

Echo Curb Weight 2105
    Prius Curb Weight 2890

37% Weight Difference

Again, let's give it the benefit of a doubt and assume that the Echo would only lose 20% of its mileage if it were Prius Weight.

That would put it around 29 MPG combined (rounded up of course).

Now the improvement is 86% (rounded down of course).

Let's assume that if the Prius programming threw out all of the emissions juggling it does, like worrying about catalytic coverter temperature (thus running the ICE wastefully). Let's also throw out the extra catalytic converters, the entire Coolant Thermos assembly etc.

Let's conservatively assume that by tuning for mileage, improving air flow, and discarding weight, we could get 10% better mileage on the Prius without any impact on performance numbers. That would put it at 59.7 mpg combined. Round down of course.

Doing the math and rounding down (of course).

We get a HSD mileage benefit of - 100%

8. DanP

DanP Member

Your analysis is too full of holes to bother with a detailed reply. You start with incorrect mpg figures and you go on to assume linear relations among variables that are not linearly related.

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I gave the Echo the benefit of every doubt, and used Prius Mileage Numbers drawn from a reputable source based on real world testing.

My conservative adjustments compensate for any non-linearity quite well I believe, but you are free to debate that. However, only by providing actual numbers and sources. I'm sorry but off-hand dismissal is not a valid response to facts :)

For the record, I'm approaching 15K on my 04 Prius and my mileage numbers almost exactly match the Motor Trend numbers, so I've found that analysis to be closest to "Real Life" of any that I've seen, as anecdotal as that may be.

You'll also notice that I didn't speculate what the Echo 'performance' numbers would be if it were Prius Weight. I'm kind that way. :)

10. DanP

DanP Member

"My conservative adjustments compensate for any non-linearity quite well I believe, but you are free to debate that."

I'm also free to ignore it for the reasons I cited before.

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You did not cite any reasons that a rational person can evaluate without an explanation.

In absence of an explanation, with supporting data, I'm afraid I must ignore your 'reasons', which seem to stem from an un-willingness to deal with facts that don't support your pre-concieved opinions.

But, that's been your MO all through this discussion, so I doubt it comes as a surprise to anyone, eh?

12. DanP

DanP Member

"You did not cite any reasons that a rational person ..."

That's precisely the problem, though: your post comparing the Prius to the Echo was not "rational" in the strictest sense of the word: calculable. Next you're going to tell me how many angels can dance on the head of the Prius's shifting knob, with due allowances made for ....

13. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just declaring something wrong does not make it wrong.

Unless you explain what is wrong with the calculations, they stand un-refuted.

As an engineer of long experience, I'm quite sure my calculations are both reasonable and conservative, and you have provided absolutely no evidence to the contrary aside from the time-honored debating tactic of sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "Nyah Nyah I can't hear you".

In sports terms that's called a forfeit.

I accept your concession. Thank you.

14. DanP

DanP Member

"Unless you explain what is wrong with the calculations, they stand un-refuted."

Well you finally got something right. Since, however, I did tell you what was wrong with your "calculations," consider your laughable calculations "refuted."

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is actually a non-HSD version of the Prius, sort of. It's the Toyota Allion, which you can read about here...

http://www.batfa.com/new_car_toyota_allion.htm

I have no reputable performance figures on it, but I have seen a 10.5 0-60 time for the 2.0 litre (160hp) version, which might be accurate if the car was towing a Prius during it's test run!

16. DanP

DanP Member

Sounds like a real pig--the Corolla's ugly step-sister.

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Dan... i noticed you have refrained comment on the link i provided.

19. DanP

DanP Member

What link?

20. DanP

DanP Member

Sorry about that. Never mind that last post. I searched back through the posts and found the link I think you're talking about: the bar chart with "vehicle efficiency" and "fuel efficiency" expressed in percentages. It's still not clear what "vehicle efficiency" is (or "fuel efficiency", for that matter). The chart maker assumes we know what these measures are, but I'm left none the wiser. You?