1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM Spreading False Rumors/Lies about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Blue-Adept, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep\";p=\"102582)</div>
    I completely agree. Ford, beyond their development of the Escape Hybrid, has impressed me with a number of their cars, and their general investment in quality improvements.

Also, it appears to me that their financial management has been significantly more sound than GM's.

Unlike General Motors, they don't appear to be covering their eyes as they plunge forward.

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"Just economics" is the reasons wars are fought, middle eastern countries invaded, tea dumped in a harbor. It's what drives human behavior, and astronomical oil prices will drive is to ruin.

The handle's been flicked, the water's starting to swirl...

3. EricC

EricC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to through in my thoughts. My reason for buying a Prius, have not yet bought but will in the next month, is about the overall savings I will get from using less gas, fewer oil changes, and less repairs hopefully. The fact that it pollutes less is great, and every little bit helps, but in the overall scheme of things one person's car really will not change that much. I love the technology and have followed the Prius since they first got announced for the US. One thing I will never forget is a news report several years back, I think it was during the gulf war. It was talking about high gas prices and they showed two guys in Saudi Arabia filling up cars and talking. Neither guy was watching the pump and apparently they did not have auto shutoff on them because gas was cascading down the sides of both cars. They apparently get the gas for really cheap and don't care how much they waste. I am far from a "greenie" but if I can do my part to help out why not? As far as how much oil is left in the ground I have no clue, other than what I have read about and seen on TV. I think everyone needs to remember that you can get data to support just about any outcome you want if you ask the right people or selectively sample while collecting the data. This is true no matter if you are trying to get data to support a Liberal or Conservative point of view. I consider myself Conservative but still care about the environment and don't agree with several other "right wing" causes, so please don't assume that only Democrats would buy a Prius. I just hope we can all remember that this board is supposed to be a nice place for Prius fans to come and talk and not a political soapbox for either side. In an attempt to get the thread back on topic I do think Ford is ahead of the other domestic car makers. So far GM has made little effort to make a viable hybrid that I know about, they did apparently make some sort of hybrid bus for the Seattle area if I remember the magazine ad correctly. I have never seen one around and for all I know they never were really produced. My uncle recently retired from GM after 30 years and even he has said on many occasions that GM is a mess and desperately needs better leadership from top to bottom if it is going to ever pull out of the nose dive it's in.

4. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Hallelujah..I am just like you there, I am more conservative, but very open to BETTER IDEAS, and this is one of them (Prius). I've gotten into some "tough" talks with some real liberals out there, I just could not stand their statements, but this board is about the CAR., and I am happy to oblige and tone it down if THEY WOULD TOO. I love this car, you will love yours when you get it and don't let all this worry you. This board is great and very helpful, even the tough posters have great insight and information about this car the Prius and Toyota certainly deserves accolades for taking this course. Let us know when you get yours and congradulations on making a great decision. I bought mine for the same reasons, did not and still don't see the environment point of view 100%, but the pump savings, performance, initial cost, maintenance is outstanding. The car is great, zippy if you want (40-42 MPG in Texas heat with AC on all the time), or 45-55 MPG if you really tune into your car and get REALLY frugal..no ac coasting, etc...anyway you will not be sorry and again welcome to PRIUSCHAT.COM

5. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Oh, what if every little raindrop in the sky said, "What a small drop am I."

6. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Fredagolf...Don't scare him off, even if your little drop will change the world

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fred wasn't trying to scare him off. I think it's a good point.

8. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Point this, point that, like me this guy thinks that the car is great, he likes the MPG., it is ok with the fact the car helps the environment, BUT all he is saying is the environment is NOT the MAJOR THING in his life. The little drop here and there..give me a break and come down to earth. We're not stupid, we know such things help, and if millions get this GOOD., but it ain't gonna ruin my day nor his. ps pick a lilly and count the petals..

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm a life scientist. Where do you think my views are on this issue? We're all entitled to our own reasons. Don't go criticizing the reasons of others.

Maybe you should come down to earth yourself. And see what a wreck this place is because of American overconsumption.

10. EricC

EricC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes the Prius pollutes much less than a normal car, it does just about everything possible to prevent emissions. Even with all the pollution reducing tech on the car it still pollutes something in the neighborhood of 2 tons on pollutants a year, I don't remember what the actual numbers are and can't find the pollution comparison site that someone on the site listed a while back. Yes it is between 50% and 90% cleaner than a normal car depending on the type of pollution you are measuring for. My point about one car not making much of a difference was poorly worded. I am just saying that even if every car in the US changed to hybrid, it would make a difference yes but when we have Mexico right next door having absolutely horrid pollution standards to the point of just about any mexican car being illegal to drive in the US it is still a uphill battle. People keep making it sound like the US is always the main culprit for polluting the environment, and yes we do pollute a lot, but many other countries are not helping such as China, Russia, India and others. At this point China and India don't have a hugh number of cars in comparison to population but just wait it's coming. I'm just saying that yes we can all do our part but it's about time other countries lived up to their end of the deal also. Please understand I am not trying to start an argument just expressing an opinion that you are free to disagree with.

11. EricC

EricC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As far as overconsumption yes we do have a problem with that in this country, I will freely admit I own things I don't need. Have you been to Japan lately and seen the problem they have with it? Yes they live in smaller houses but you can go into an electronics store and buy about 50 different colors of a gamecube or ps2. They come out with "collectable" versions that are identical to the other except for a commemorative sicker or something like that. I have a friend that was stationed over in Japan a while back and he knows a guy that had five ps2 he was "collecting". They may not be as bad as us but they still are not blameless. England also does similar promotions with game systems for collectors so they aren't perfect either as far as wasteful purchases. I just wish people would see that this is a global problem we are facing here and not all the US's fault.

12. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Amen EricC!!! That is what I am saying..

And Galaxee: what is life science??..and that last post, don't you see that American overconsumtion opinion with regards to the state of the environment of this world is YOUR OPINION, NOT FACTUAL. I think the educational services you are receiving are giving you a ONE sided view of the world.

"I'm a life scientist. Where do you think my views are on this issue? We're all entitled to our own reasons. Don't go criticizing the reasons of others.

Maybe you should come down to earth yourself. And see what a wreck this place is because of American overconsumption."

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is life science? I figured it would be rather, um, self explanatory. You want details? I have a BSc in Cell and Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. I'm working on a PhD in Pharmacology (and to a lesser extent anesthesiology) Life science also includes pretty much all biology and anything that involves the study of living systems from cells to ecosystems.

You must be one of those people who denies things like the hole in the ozone layer, huh? EricC has a good point, but Americans are a serious contributor to the problem and that's more than just an opinion. And I believe the educational services I am receiving are WORLD CLASS, in fact my department is ranked #3 in the country. No need to get personal and insult my education unless of course you don't mind having the favor returned.

14. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

I agree, Eric has some good points but not to fret, this man believes that HYACK has him in his signature. Get what I mean?

15. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Oh you smarties..well guess what it took me awhile to put it up there and It will stay there Freeeddy smarty boy. I am not the computer wiz but I get around.

16. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

If you don't spell it right, people may not think it is me.

17. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Ain't changing a thing FREDTAGOLF., at this point it was a pain in the rear to get it done, I ain't wasting the time

18. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

That was not a request.

19. EricC

EricC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Being new on the board I don't get the reference. I am assuming you are referring to the signature that IALTMANN has. I don't have a signature so I am hoping the insult, if that is what it was meant to be, was not directed at me. The only other comment I am going to make before this thread turns into a trash talking fest is, why can't people ever seem to have an intelligent conversation without people starting to trade insults? I have learned lots about the car in general since finding this site and am grateful for the info but sure could live without the other stuff going on around it. Hopefully everyone can take a step back and calm down. Oh and Galaxee thanks for the more detailed explanation of life science, seriously. I know a little about it but never had realised pharmacology and things of that nature were all included. Just goes to show that what to one person is second nature, others know nothing about. I have a degree in Film Studies and could bore people for hours with details the average person cares nothing about and am always surprised how little most people know about the true art of film.

20. prius04

prius04 New Member

You might be interested to know that China just passed laws instituting the strictest auto pollution standards in the world. Plus, China is in negotiations to have a Prius plant built in China, for domestic production only.