1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM Spreading False Rumors/Lies about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Blue-Adept, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"103528)</div>
    You might be interested to know that China just passed laws instituting the strictest auto pollution standards in the world. Plus, China is in negotiations to have a Prius plant built in China, for domestic production only.
    [/b][/quote]

I agree with you both. It's been interesting to read some of the interviews with the Toyota executives who point to the growing Chinese market as a primary target for the Prius -- and that the low emissions are more important than the fuel economy.

A lot of my co-workers travel to China, and talk about the incredibly poor air quality, and the pollution in the industrial areas.

A question for international news readers: is China's stricter environmental policies a relatively new thing? And why have they come about? While the government is (obviously) not a democracy, I have heard that when an issue gets to be a "sore spot" with the general public, the govenment officials can react very swiftly. (The analogy I hear for the Chinese government's rule is, "riding the tiger")

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"103933)</div>
    Jeff:

This is very atypical weather for southern Manitoba, a guess the floods are a good indication. Need hot dry weather pronto.

We're supposed to get hot weather this week, but it will be very humid. I really feel sorry for those folks who don't have central A/C and dehumidifiers in their basement. It's going to be brutal for them.

Up until around 15 years ago, most homes around here didn't have A/C. There was no need for just a week or so of hot weather. Worried a lot more about how the furnace worked at -40.

Jay

3. tckramer

tckramer New Member

Amazing. GM is so far behind the times. I understand that they were given a warning from finacial that yes things were going good in 1997 but they needed to find a new market as the large SUV boom would not last forever. They did nothing while Toyota capitalized on the market with more fuel efficient auto's. It will be some time before GM can catch up again as they have no plans....when you have no plans you get desperate.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"103941)</div>
    Ack -- my sympathies, Jay. I used to live in the Midwest, and the central Atlantic region; both places had those kind of summers -- which I don't remember with fondness.

The nice thing about Seattle is that you can still get by without air conditioning in the summer. There's usually a breeze off the sound, and we rarely hit the 90s.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ha, our AC has been running for about 3 weeks straight now. Can't wait to see the next electric bill...

Yep, I'm moving back to the Midwest when I'm done here. The South is WAY too hot.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"104000)</div>
    Jeff:

Don't worry I'll be fine. I made sure my condo association serviced the rooftop chiller early so if there were problems, we wouldn't have to wait a week to get it fixed.

I only wish I had the Bryant Evolution system in my condo suite like I did in my former home and at the hobby farm. You can program it to dehumidify. The air handler in my suite only has 1 speed, so to dehumidify you usually have to freeze.

At the hobby farm if it's humid in the house, I can actually maintain a comfy 73-75 inside while the system runs the fan and the central A/C at it's lowest speed to dehumidify. Very smart idea, saves a lot of power too.

In Utah I never ran the A/C unless it was consistently over 85. A dry climate makes a big difference: 110 in St George still feels a bit cooler than 80 in Winnipeg, especially when the humidity in Winnipeg is 85% or higher.

Jay

7. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"104018)</div>
    Where in the Midwest? As you may remember, I am a Durham native. I lived in St. Louis for 9 years and it was a lot hotter than Durham and a lot colder too. In fact, the only thing we didn't like about the St. Louis area was the weather.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fred: I'm from Wisconsin. We plan to move back to that general area when I graduate. Trust me, it is MUCH more tolerable in the summer and I rather miss the winters up there. It only snowed twice here last year, and it was only about an inch each time. :(

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"104141)</div>
    Also don't forget that in Snow Country the folks generally know how to drive in winter.

In a place that rarely will have a snowfall, an inch of snow and you had better stay off the roads until everything melts. Otherwise it's like a Demolition Derby on the Interstate.

I noticed the same thing in SLC and especially Park City/Deer Valley: the locals had their ugly steel wheels and studded tires on for the weather, the imports from Mexico and LA where helplessly sliding down hills.

They were too proud to take off their pretty wheels and racing slick Low Profile tires. They also caused most of the fender benders around Park City and at Parley's Summit.

10. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Galaxie: I love Wisconsin and Minnesota as well. Both are great golf states. Herb Kohler has invited me to play golf at Whistling Straits, but I can't do it this year. Did you know that Minnesota has hosted more USGA championships than any other state? Also that Minnesota has more per capita golfers than any other state?
    I don't know about Wisconsin, I haven't spent as much time there, but Minnesota is the mosquito capital as well.
    We are heading out for 31 days in August and will go through both states. We have already eaten at Smokey's in Madison. Any other suggestions? What is the best cheese factory? We will be heading to St. Paul when we leave Madison.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jayman: same thing here. it's pretty pathetic when it snows... i stay off the roads.

Fred: unfortunately I am not too familiar with Madison. However on your way to Minnesota I highly recommend you stop over in La Crosse (a slight jog over on hwy 90) and check out the view from the top of Granddad Bluff. I went to college at UWL and miss it like CRAZY. We were there last week and did not want to leave. It's a beautiful scenic area. If you've got a couple hours take the La Crosse Queen riverboat tour out of Riverside Park, they'll take you a ways down the Mississippi between the bluffs and it's a real sight to see.

My personal favorite cheese factory is Trega (formerly Krohn) but they're near Manitowoc on Lake Michigan. The family farm sells their milk there and we buy cheese from there when we go to visit. Honestly any cheese factory will be good in WI. We know what we're doing when it comes to cheese. Get some cheese curds while you're at it. Mmmm! Hope you have a good time.

Oh yes. And mosquitoes. Might as well be the WI state bird... :lol:

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"103925)</div>
    Really? So's my Mom.

As to weather....I'm in San Diego. We just open a few windows.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"104252)</div>
    OOohhhh must be nice!

Theoretically you can open windows here too, except few even bother. Obviously, you can't open a window at -40 unless you've managed to cause a thermonuclear reaction in the pot roast.

This time of the year, temps in the 80's or even low 90's, and humidity at least 65%: don't even think of opening a window.

Though it's cool to hear zillions of angry mosquitoes buzzing against the screen.

14. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"104164)</div>
    God! Is that ever true in Seattle!

We get a decent snowfall only once every other year, on average. And brother, is it amazing.

One of my favorite memories was driving up Airport Road in Everett, near Boeing's Paine Field, in the middle of a "blinding snowstorm" (our weatherman's words -- 1/2"-3/4" of snow on the roads.)

All-wheel drive/4-wheel drive SUVs and trucks littered in the ditch at the side of the road -- unable to get traction, and having found themselves in there in the first place because, well, they have 4-wheel-drive! They're invulnerable! Right?!

And in one of my very few moments of glory, I drove right past their stranded hulks, through the snow, and onto I-5 and home... in my 1987 front wheel drive Honda Civic DX hatchback.

It would have made a great Honda ad. :)

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that's bad, bookrats?

try 4 UPS trucks in various intersections in and around campus completely blocking traffic and literally thousands of cars stuck there.

with 1/2 inch of snow on the ground. (gotta love nc)

and an upside-down newsvan/SUV on the side of the highway... which i found most amusing.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"104315)</div>
    Jeff:

In life I take those rare moments of glory any way I can!

Around here the 4x4 owners usually run their "all-season" tires in winter, with predictable results. I really have a lot of fun in winter with my ugly black steel wheels and Dunlop Graspic DS-2 studless snow tires.

For some reason, after a huge blizzard with ice/snow on the road, the 4x4 driver likes to rev the motor at a red light. Then when the light turns green, I hump it and the Trac helps me blast away, while the 4x4 is still back there spinning tires.

Usually, it's the minivans upside down alongside the Trans Canada after a major blizzard. The 4x4's you see slid and buried by an off ramp, as almost all the off ramps here have no bank whatsoever and involve a fairly sharp curve.

Just to be Evil, I did stop near one 4x4 buried in the snow last winter when he slid off the off ramp. I asked if he needed a pull. The look on his face was priceless. I barely pulled away and powered up the window before giggling.

Jay

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"104332)</div>
    :lolup:

Ah, Jay, everyone needs to give into the Dark Side every once in a while!

18. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

19. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"104172)</div>
    I get them every time. My daughter sent me some for Father's Day and they are wonderful.

Now, I caught your dig about NC in the post below but am still willing to sing the praises of your state. I will try go by the places you mention. .

Sorry, I thought I could delete the above post after redoing it.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aww. I can't have fun picking on people who can't drive on snow? :lol: It's all in good fun, Fred. Snow driving is the first thing you learn in a car where I'm from and I was shocked at the chaos snow causes here...

I have to admit NC is a very nice place to be, but for us it's just not home...