1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM to limit Malibu hybrid to 11 markets

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Dec 8, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I saw a 2008 Malibu at one of those places where the dealer has an arrangement to park new vehicles for advertising purposes and was a wee bit surprised that its official highest mpg possible is lower than what I'm getting now with my HiHy. It also has a bigger engine than my HiHy. The Malibu's 6-cylinder is 3.6 liter and mine is a 3.3. What's galling, though, is that they have the nerve to call it a hybrid. Mild hybrid? No, it's a faux hybrid.

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Its all about GM's comittmentment, or lack thereof. To bad thay don't limit monster truck sales to Texas. (Flame suit on)

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't forget the Malibu Hybrid gets a $1300 federal tax credit which reduces the additional cost to $535.

Using the side-by-side comparison at fueleconomy.gov, you'll see that assuming gas prices of $3/gallon, 15k miles a year and 45%/55% hwy/city miles, the hybrid will save you $135/year which means it pays for itself in just under 4 years which is pretty good, not to mention the added benefit of slightly reducing your gasoline consumption.

If I were in the market for a Malibu, I would definitely get the hybrid version.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Being a Prius Owner, your chances of ever needing to be in the Malibu market are rather rare.

5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You point is... ?

My point is that it makes financial sense to buy the Malibu hybrid over the non-hybrid as long as you get that tax credit, even though the improvement in mileage over the non-hybrid model is minimal. Anyone else buying a Malibu should look at the same thing. Will the dealers push the hybrid based on that? Who knows.

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My point (respectfully) is that anyone that is looking for great gas mileage will ignore the hybrid Malibu. The Accord Hybrid is subject to the same logic you just applied....but it failed to catch on and was cancelled. This Honda mistake is being repeated by GM.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I loved my '89 Delta 88 but that level of quality disappeared by the '00 Intrigue. GM would have to give me the car and a direct line to someone qualified & willing to repair it under warranty before I'd drive another.

8. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Obviously if you are in the market for a Malibu you aren't looking for great gas mileage.

But if you are in the market for a Malibu, the Hybrid model makes sense!