1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM: Volt reaches 2 million miles, 1.3 million of them gas-free

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by jeffreykb, Jul 10, 2011.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the plans for my PHEV conversion ready and I am just waiting for the odometer to hit 100K. As for tax credits, that generalization is not true. It does not qualify for any federal credits, but my state does offer them. The 4kwh enginer kit comes out to about $300 cost to me. The hymotion ($10K) conversion comes at a cost of roughly $700-$800, the rest is all covered. Now there are limited slots available, and you must register, and it must be done professionally, and it must be inspected, and a few other things. But you can't beat that!

I wont get any of those credits though since I am doing it all myself with my own design.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    2nd that. my state provides credits for ANY EV related costs. WA does not have an income tax so they supplement with a state sales tax of 8.6-9.1% depending on your location (range varies so may not be accurate but its close)

but any purchase related to EV's is tax free. this saved me a good chunk of change when buying my Leaf (about $3,000) but also saved me when replacing the batteries on my Zenn a while back and around here sales tax is a pretty big chunk. it basically made my Zenn batteries about $75 cheaper

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am quite confidently predicting that Toyota will not do that. They will probably have a price premium at launch and be in demand, but Toyota has been in the hybrid game longer than anybody, has been studying PHV for a long time, and they are hardly reinventing the wheel which, for GM, they more or less had to do with the Volt. All Toyota really has done is changed the battery from nimh to lithium and thrown a plug in to boost its charge. Otherwise all just tweaks to the third generation of a car that's already been out for a couple of years.

4. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I know what electricity is worth, I used to make 16kw of it an hour along with 200k gallons of fresh water and my buddies over in the reactor room made the steam to push planes off our flight deck to their death for you as well.

You people that act holier than thou because you can afford a currently niche toy are outrageous.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey, we're a capitalist country where people can spend their money as they like, and say what they please. I don't like my country fighting wars for oil, so I spent a chunk of my money on an electric car. Twice. The first time was the little Zap Xebra 4 years ago. (I'm not counting the disaster which is still being repaired.)

Of course you're free to consider me outrageous if you like. I cannot make any good argument against someone who says that nobody should have enough spare money to buy these cars. But until the Revolution comes and takes my money away I'll enjoy my niche toy. And until the fascists take away my right to express my opinion, or someone convinces me I'm wrong, I'll keep saying that burning gasoline is bad for the economy and bad for national security.

1 person likes this.
  6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, let me give you my "holier than thou" answer to your original question of
    "how many coal miners have died powering EV?"

the answer is ZERO. coal miners died because Big Business saw a way to make money and to put it bluntly, most coal companies value their profit margins much higher than they value their employees.

how is that for "holier than thou?"

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another answer would be: About the same number of coal miners died powering your EV as died powering your refrigerator.

Of course, many of us don't get any electricity from coal. And if we lived in a sane country, none of us would get any of our electricity from coal.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    In addition, not one of those reactors generating steam to push catapults so planes could fly people to their deaths did squat to stop 911. Nor will the carriers stop the next 911 which ironically may actually involve nukes. But it's my silly hope that if we stop sending the huge percentage of our petro dollars over to people intent on killing us (because we're over there setting up dictators), then not only will the Alqueda flight school dollars dry up ... we might actually curb our huge national debt ... should we stop building so many reactors that push steam through catapults on carriers. I call that two, for the price of one.

1 person likes this.
  9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you guys use any petroleum byproducts? Plastic, etc...

10. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like your cat. (And your Tesla.)

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never knew that they used steam in the catapults on carriers. I guess I thought they used electric motors or maybe really big rubber bands. If we hadn't squandered so much money over the years building nukes and aircraft carriers, we could have made our country energy independent. We wouldn't have needed Arab oil, and we could have let the Arab people overthrow their dictatorial governments instead of giving those governments money and weapons to use against their own people. We'd have had money for the development of the electric highway and we'd have cars now that would have made the Volt and the Leaf and the Xebra seem pitiful by comparison. But I have nothing against soldiers themselves. During the years I was protesting nukes in N.D. I was arrested by a number of different airmen (the Air Force being the military presence there) and they were always polite, courteous, and respectful (as I was also, in accord with the principles of nonviolence) and I actually liked them. We had a slogan: "U.S. Air Force: Good people; bad product." But that's interesting about the steam. It's gotta take a LOT of pressure and a LOT of volume. How many gallons of water do you have to boil, and at what pressure and temperature, to launch one airplane?

We should all just be hugging cats instead!

12. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We've seen what the middle east looks like without oil dictatorships. Somehow even worse, like Afghanistan pre-2001. This is also how I think these countries will end up when the oil runs out. The US is certainly too militant, though.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It sound like a good project. Good luck.

I am quite sure you can see the error in your reasoning. You ARE waiting until your warranty is up and doing the work yourself. The car won't be programmed as well to stay in EV mode. Of course this will be less expensive than buying a new PHEV, but you are not comparing similar items.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Before the West overthrew the Ottoman Empire in WW I, the Middle East was a far more tolerant place than it's been since. As for Afghanistan, outsiders have been trying to set up shop there ever since the outside world learned of its existence, and nobody's ever succeeded.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am waiting for the warranty to expire mostly because I am hoping by that time I will have enough time to actually do it. At my current rate it will be before this time next year.

It will be programmed better than the OEM PHEV from what I have read. You can make the GenII do full EV up to the physical limit of the MG output instead of the 62mph limit. Transitioning back to blended mode however is more difficult, but I think it can be seamless. But I am doing this for fun, not financial savings or anything like that.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    66.66% miles covered by electricity falls short of the 78% that was hyped.

To calculate the cost per mile, I plugged in the number from Motor Trend's calculation and used the national average for Premium and Regular gas prices. Please check my math.

Volt costs 0.8 cents per mile less to operate than a cordless Prius. It should since it is a compact and Prius is a midsize. Considering the cost difference in the purchase price, a cordless Prius is a better buy without the hassle of plugging in.

Things will get interesting if I calculate the Prius PHV cost per mile.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    0 Distance Traveled miles: 2 000 000
    1 Premium Gasoline price/gallon: $3.89
    2 Regular Gasoline price/gallon: $3.65
    3 Electricity price/kW-hr $0.12
    5 Chevrolet Volt
    6 Gasoline
    7 Gallons used 18 018
    8 Cost $70 144
    9 Energy used kW-hr 607 207
    10 Electricity
    11 Energy used kW-hr 491 429
    12 Cost $58 971
    13 Gallons equivalent 14 582
    14 Total
    15 kW-hr used 1 098 636
    16 kW-hr/100 miles 55
    17 Gallons equivalent 32 600
    18 MPG equivalent 61
    19 Cost $129 116
    20 Cost/mile $0.065
    22 Toyota Prius (51/48 mpg)*
    23 Gasoline used gallons 40 000
    24 Cost $145 800.00
    25 Energy used kW-hr gasoline equivalent 1 348 000
    26 kW-hr/100 miles 67.4
    27 MPG 50
    28 Cost per mile $0.073

1 person likes this.
  17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's an assumption in the above that the Volt will spend 2/3 of its miles in electric, or IOW, that it will drive only 52.5 miles per day. The Prius is therefore a more useful car since it can drive as far as you like, or need, without losing efficiency.

18. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Why MT numbers - why not EPA ? What is MT's number for Prius ?

19. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean afford as in get a car that is cheaper than Prius ?

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I did use EPA figures and used MT's table to calculate.