1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GM's Nonexisten Volt: The Latest Comercial

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Feb 8, 2008.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Cities are forced to buy GM buses? Give me just one link supporting that bunch of baloney. I guess you can say anything on here as long as it is trashing an american auto manufacturer.

2. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is with that "forcing cities to buy busses comment?"

However, did you look at the Tahoe Hybrid brochure? They don't even know what size engine it will have!?!?!

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm guessing Stev0 is thinking he is in FHOP where wild statements with no backup proof is standard operating procedure.

You are giving GM an awful large benefit of doubt by using the word "will" in your statement.

The above mentioned PDF states:
    "Limited availability in select markets starting Fall 2007."

Yet their web site, Hybrid Technology: Chevrolet Tahoe: Chevrolet states:
    "Limited availability starting early 2008."

Me personally, I wouldn't give their statements much credence - considering the very large wiggle room they are giving themselves with the weasel words "Limited availability."

Just how small of a number are they talking about to qualify as limited???
    ONE????

4. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That did not seem remotely correct to me, so I looked up a few numbers.

More than 500,000 Prii have been sold in the US. If they displaced vehicles getting the US fleet average (22 mpg), get 46 mpg, travel 15K miles per year on average, that's over 170 million gallons of gasoline saved per year (Or about half a day's US gasoline use.)

GM has sold about 1000 buses (and has orders in hand for about 1700 more). The average city bus travels about 35,000 miles per year at 3.5 miles per gallon, or about 10,000 gallons of diesel fuel per year. Estimates of hybrid savings vary, but the most credible I've seen suggest that the hybrid buses reduce fuel use by about a third. Total that up and the current GM fleet saves something over 3 million gallons per year. (If necessary, I can give credible internet citations for the facts in this paragraph).

So, unless I've gotten something very wrong, I don't think the savings from the GM hybrid buses are anywhere close to the savings from Prii. The GM hybrid bus fuel savings, at present, are about two orders of magnitude smaller.

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You are soo right about that. GM really has no reasonable hybrid vehicles. At least ford has a nice hybrid example in the Escape. By most accounts the Escape hybrid is a pretty good vehicle.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does a MAN bus running on compressed natural gas stack up against a GM Hybrid bus for CO2 and other emissions? CNG busses are in general use here along with an electric rechargable bus on the city loop and an electrified tram running through the city north south and about 12km southwest to the bay. There are plans to extend the electrified light rail passenger system

When you say GMs hybrid busses reduce emissions, what are you comparing them to?

Having busses that reduce greenhouse emissions is great but for a lot of people a bus ride isn't an option. I travel across the city and would need to take 3 buses to work and the journey would take 2 hours each way, in a car, about 45 minutes. Also being a shift worker means the bus isn't available when I start or finish most shifts.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, granted it's old news, but they've done it before so one could assume they'd try to do it again.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey, I'd also trash Trabant, Yugo, and other companies that make nothing but crap, too, but nobody's brought them up yet.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    While he's digging that up for you (at which point, when confronted with truth you finally just fade away) why don't YOU find that link where a handfull of hybrid busses are tantamount to over 1,000,000 hybrid's fuel / smog savings (especially since many folks, like myself carpool in them). Yep, this ought to be good.

And which (trashing an) "american auto manufacturer" are you talking about ... Toyota? I know you can't be talking about GM / greater manchuria ... since GM outsources manufactureing out to them, Canada, and Mexico ... and you've already acknowledged that, so why throw up the same lie? Got a little of the Mr. Lutz in you, eh?

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, it is about being realistic. Does your memory go far enough back to when GM (and Firestone) bought and trashed the electric rails in order to sell busses? Yeah. All about saving energy - not about profit in any way. Oh... and of course you're wrong anyway - as has already been pointed out. But I'm guessing that won't matter much to you.

It has nothing to do with trashing an American manufacturer. It has to do with the Volt right now. And it seems that GM - an American manufacturer - is the one promising us what it already knows it cannot deliver. We can trash other makers in other threads. This one is for GM.

What's an order of magnitude or two among friends? Nice work as usual.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    GM's advertising campaign is reminiscent of the old Ford campaign on "Quality is job one". They spent millions on an advertising campaign hyping their quality, when they should have spent that money to improve the quality of their cars! The Volt is nothing but a pipe dream--I'll believe it when I see it!

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wonder if they'll itemize everything.

Car with radio and wipers: $35,000
    add windshield: $36,000
    add four wheels: $37,000
    add brakes: $38, 500
    add seats: $39,500
    add steering wheel: $41,000

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wipers, Stereo Raise Price of Chevrolet Volt to $35,000 | Autopia from Wired.com

Joke? You mean you think this is just a GM smear? :p I relate to why you'd doubt. Darrel's post above, shows where GM uses it, among other places. Yea, you'd like to THINK adds with excess creep factor wouldn't really come from GM. At least not for undeveloped cars, even before the prototype is completely designed.

15. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thats how my dog gives me a bath!:lol:

THe volt is cool, but I'll stick w/ my Prius! Besides, I'm not paying 35k!!!

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Let's not forget a redesign of the body because it drives like a brick in wind tunnels.

add sports car looking body because "that's what our consumers want" : $54,988

And I really have to wonder . . . are they talking in 2007 dollars, but will adjust later? $56,998

17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wasn't that the K car?

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When GM gets this to market they will only accept Canadian dollars.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium