1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Go vegitarian.. reduce AGW.. save the planet

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by cyclopathic, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, does anyone really believe someone on an all bean diet really produces less gas than someone who has a few weenies with those beanies?

2. Kermit262

Kermit262 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My daughter is 13 and has been a vegetarian for a few years. Inspired (and prodded!) by her I gave up meat two days after Christmas and am still going strong. Yes, I miss meat, but not so much that I ever feel the need to give in. I do indeed get pleasure out of being a vegetarian and driving a Prius, :) knowing that I'm doing my tiny part to help the environment. But I don't "preach" to friends or strangers, though if asked will attempt to educate them.

2 people like this.
  3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's the lack of meat in their diet that makes them that way.:D

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Best way :)

I respect your views and comments more than those who push their views or use emotions such as calling me a carcass cruncher which really gets my goat. lol

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Define "respect."

Any chance it means "Thanks for making it easy to ignore your views, and not have any pressure on mine?"

I'm not trying to pick on you GrumpyC, you just seem a little more honest than most, and therefore a target ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Vegitarian: Old Indian word for poor hunter...

1 person likes this.
  7. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No amounts of them eating pineapples would change the taste.

Based on personal experience from an uncle of the H persuasion.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    um . . . . . . I better leave that one alone.

:madgrin:

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

lol it certainly does :eek:

I'm a Yorkshire man, I say what I like and more importantly I like what I say. Not a fan of BS full stop. I like people to be honest and up front even if their views are different to mine. Not a fan of people who claim to be vegetarian but still eat fish and chicken! lol what's that all about. But I'd respect a vegan if they were cool and not pushy about their choice, even though I'd never be one myself.

I look at it this way - you can never judge a book by its cover and a jerk is always a jerk, rich, poor, old, young, male or female.

10. Kermit262

Kermit262 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "Not a fan of people who claim to be vegetarian but still eat fish and chicken!"

GrumpyC - when I agreed to become a vegetarian I thought that meant I could still eat fish! When my daughter informed me otherwise I wondered if it was too late to back out lol! I miss seafood more than anything. But when I read what we are doing to the world's oceans and fish stocks I quickly regain my verve.

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I stopped eating meat, I started eating hotdogs.

12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you can eat nori (seaweed)

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A lot of truth there, GC.
    I actually get uncomfortable when people feel the need to accommodate me because I'm veg. My veg wife and I went to a cookout this past weekend. The hostess didn't know until late in the evening that we're veg. She started apologizing that they were serving all this meat right in front of us as though everyone's supposed to be vegetarian when in the presence of vegetarians. I just sat there, munching my baked beans, potato chips and other non-meat dishes. People get so freaked out about a single meal as though it's the end of the world. I survived almost an entire year in college on little more than romin noodles and Mountsin Dew. I'm pretty sure I'll survive this cookout.

2 people like this.
  14. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My cat likes chewing on seaweed; (not the same variety as nori) but I don't think he actually eats much. I can't bring myself to try it. It would make eating simple, as I have literally tons of it.

15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Professor Nathaniel Dominy of Dartmouth has some ideas about the historical human diet. Basically humans are starch eaters, and are not biologically designed to eat meat. His video..

And then there's Rip Esselstyn, author of "The Engine 2 Diet". Amazing. Vegans in Texas!

16. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HA! Popped into this thread this morning to get caught up, and what's the advertisement in the banner above the posts?

Bob Evans Sausage! Oh the irony...

17. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They have a term for that don't they? My daughter does not eat any meat other than fish and chicken. This started when she was like 5 years old and her older sister told her hamburger came from a cow! She refused to eat anything beef after that and soon extended it to anything with 4 legs!

My wife and I are not vegitarians, however, we have cut all artificial additives, checmicals, and preservatives from our diet and don't eat fatty or fried foods. We've also started cooking with grapeseed oils and WildTree seasoning, which are 100% free of any additives or preservatives. We have both lost weight, feel 100 times better, and I have drastically reduced the amount of meds I take to control my cholestrol, high blood pressure and diabetes! It is possible to eat healty without giving up meats...

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As one of the resident grammar nazis, this thread is the perfect opportunity for me to point out that the term "eat healthy" is nonsense. A "healthy" is not a thing, therefor you can't eat it. The expression is "eat healthfully", or perhaps "eat a healthy diet".

Tom

19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    we are getting ours from local Korean grocery store (Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.) and it is the best. My wife hides it b/c otherwise it gets eaten right away.
    some variety intended for sushi taste really good.

here is the packaging to look for:
    Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.

20. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kelp - eat that in large quantities - look how healthy the whales are.