1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

God hates Kansas

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, May 7, 2007.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ May 7 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]436949[/snapback]</div>
    So what will be your headline when that impending 9.0 earthquake levels Los Angeles?

That is assuming you survive . . . irrespective of your religious beliefs.

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 7 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]437014[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct. God can't be bothered by weather events. He has to fix sporting events and answer all those request from Pat Robertson. :eek:

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 7 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]437123[/snapback]</div>
    Now that's predictable based on science, not God's wrath. If, on the other hand, He manages
    to save OC while destroying everything around it, you might have a point.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ May 7 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]437183[/snapback]</div>
    Nah, God never sees a dime of the millions that Pat Roberston collects from his zealous minions. Where does Pat live again? We might start looking for the next natural disaster to happen there.

I could see god cracking his knuckles while muttering "b&^% better have my money" as he waves a vengeful hand over Pat's home. lol

5. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Its true though the Gods really do hate Kansas. I have book about it:

[​IMG]

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrot_lady @ May 7 2007, 07:03 PM) [snapback]437246[/snapback]</div>
    Wow!

That kinda looks like the flying spaghetti monster!

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 7 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]437272[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, wow!
    Natch. He IS the one true god.

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Far out. REAL PEOPLE GOT HURT HERE. People lost everything. And you all think this is the time to joke? You know, I believe in Karma as well. And man, this Karma going to bite you all in the nice person on this.

Joking around about human tragedy. You might want to crack on the 'religious' folks here, but I don't see them cracking on this.

What does that say about atheists/non believers? That it's okay to laugh at human tragedy?

Sorry. But I find it in poor taste to crack jokes at this.

9. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This thread, and its spawner, win...

TEH PRIZE!

[​IMG]

10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I totally agree, it is a tragedy. I did not start the thread for the purpose of making jokes but sometimes things spin out that way. I apologize to anyone who is offended.

The point of the thread was to highlight the inconsistencies in the thinking of the religious who explain natural disasters as God's wrath on sinners. But only when it's convenient for them.

Man, that "PRIZE" above is disgusting. I've been duly thumped.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 7 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]437057[/snapback]</div>
    That is the best part of the learning curve! I have attempted to enjoy the "fruits of the vine" to my fullest - as, obviously, a believer :D There is nothing like a little wine or two or three on a Shabbos evening :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 7 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]437103[/snapback]</div>
    How could you determine in they were believers or not - isn't that up to God to determine?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 7 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]437014[/snapback]</div>
    your response was: "When? In the future. You want a definite answer. Definitely not tomorrow and a super high probability not in the next week.

Likelihood? >1% but <100% chance."

so again, how can you believe in AGW if you cannot trust the models? Like you said, if man cannot predict little things like TWO MILE WIDE tornadoes that travel TWENTY-TWO MILES that occur now in the PRESENT, how can man predict the future temperature of the ENTIRE PLANET EARTH 50 or 100 years from now?

12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 8 2007, 04:55 AM) [snapback]437390[/snapback]</div>
    So you're saying that because we can't predict the temperature of the Earth decades from now, then we should not believe a phenomenon that has been proven to exist now based on current and past data? Come on now.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ May 8 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]437400[/snapback]</div>
    I much prefer discussions on wine - and here a little global warming would be very helpful :D

In terms of GW, all i am saying is i am not convinced man is responsible for it - and whether or not he is - we should still do our best to behave properly -- i drive a prius and heat my house with wood. i am against the govt forcing us to act to the point that it diverts scarce resources that could help people here and now - i am against the establishment of false markets like carbon credits - i am against disruptions in our economy and would prefer letting the marketplace and proper corporate behavior take precedent (i know you believe proper behavior and corporation dont belong in the same sentence :) - i think things like walmart announcing yesterday that they are solar paneling 22 stores to start with and perhaps many more - the fact that the new buildings in Gotham are almost all green are evidence that corporations and marketplace forces spur doing the right thing. my assumption is that doing right is doing good is good business sense today for corporations and individuals.

my fear is that if we disrupt the economy we will harm our ability to do the right thing with gw and the environment.

my fear is that govt fiat has never helped - that we need to be flexible as we learn more - the govt is not flexible.

if the govt has to act it should do so with carrots and not sticks - like tax deductions for doing right or encouraging new technologies.

so we are on the same side here in essence - we might differ as to the cause of the climate changes - but we agree that we should do the best possible to protect our planet. we may differ as to how to effect changes.

could this be the start of a new friendship??

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ May 8 2007, 01:12 AM) [snapback]437363[/snapback]</div>
    Are they located in a normal part of "Tornado Alley"? If so then I have very little compassion for them. Yes that sounds terrible and all but the truth is, if you chose to live in an area with frequent natural disasters then you must expect there to be consequences. I feel the same way about the poeple in Florida who build near the beach then cry when their house gets taken away by a hurricane (and our tax money bails them out so they can rebuild). Or the people who build multi-million dollar homes on the hillsides of Oakland or SoCal. I may sound like a jerk on this one but if someone repeatedly walks into a sliding glass door I feel sad for him the first and maybe the second time but after the 3rd I write him off as an idiot or mentally challanged.

Like Carlos Mencia once said: "It's like God is trying to tell you something goober! Anytime your house ends up in this kinda vicinity (Tornado Alley).... He says.... GET IT THE F$%^ OUT!!!!

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 8 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]437430[/snapback]</div>
    New Orleans too - why are we spending hundreds of billions of dollars on what will we know will happen again. are we not responsible to tell people - DO NOT LIVE THERE - or if you want to - at your own risk and expense?

It is crazy to believe we can build levees and whatever and try to hold back the forces of nature [God :)]. And the people in New Orleans had days of warning - the people in Kansas had minutes if anything. It might have been just me, but I remember watching the weather reports and seeing the images of that HUGE red mass of winds that nearly encompassed the entire screen moving towards New Orleans - if it we me - i would have high tailed it outa Dodge in a heartbeat - especially with the prior history of catastropic floods - the fact that they live BELOW the water level..... JEEEEZZZZZZ what where they thinking??

BTW - my bro and his wife and kids just went down there a few weeks ago heading a charity mission - they still have so far to go - i really question if it is ever going to get done or people are realizing its time to move .

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 8 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]437390[/snapback]</div>
    Does that have to be Kosher wine? When I was in college, we were at someone's house where all we had to drink was Manischewitz. I consumed too much and nearly puked my guts out! :wacko:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 8 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]437412[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, scientists fear that it could be the opposite case. Wine production may be adversely affected. Stock your cellar now!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...MNG03JT3EV1.DTL

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 8 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]437439[/snapback]</div>
    u r too funny - kosher wines while they have gotten better are usually enough to stop making people believe in the "fruit of the vines" part of Shabbos :lol:

gw -- i was thinking about how much more land would be plantable for vines :D

i do keep kosher in the house and avoid some forms of food outside the house (pork, etc) - but my wine does not have to have the "k" or "u" on it. i do not see how wine is not kosher - so i do have in my house wines that are not strictly kosher - during passover and other holidays we do only consume kosher wines - thankfully those amount to a very short amount of the year.

i have personally witnessed Manischewitz taking down grown men within two glasses! I have had friends who would never ever think of converting just because of it :lol:

and i am doing my best to stock my cellar - problem is that there seems to be a homeostasis between inflow and outflow of bottles :D

18. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

This thread makes me weep.

People were killed and it's funny. Also an opportunity to bash believers.

Some guy in California thinks people who live in Tornado Alley deserve what they get. Do you have any idea how large Tornado Alley is? You suggest it should be uninhabited? As I recall, California is prone to earthquakes. Should you all clear out?

Tornadoes occur in other places, too. As do earthquakes and other natural disasters. There is no guarantee of safety anywhere.

But there ought to be an expectation of some measure of compassion from fellow countrymen.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ May 8 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]437496[/snapback]</div>
    Please, we all think its tragic. We are not belittling the suffering, their misfortune, etc. We are just being tangential here. I think for the most part we all here feel for our fellow human beings and do our best to do what is right.

That does not prevent us from having a little brevity here either. if we were to take every disaster, both man-made and God-made [to get back to the topic here] seriously and profoundly we would never ever be allowed a smile.

Relax - we share your inner most feelings here too.

I agree with your point of bashing believers - hence my post to lighten it up and reveal the opposing side to the topic at the same time. you can accomplish a lot more with honey than vinegar my friend.

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

It is also unfortunate that the National Guard troops and heavy equipment, which are really needed right now, are not available because they are deployed in Iraq. The National Guard should be at home to provide relief for natural disasters such as this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 8 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]437500[/snapback]</div>
    I'm pretty sure that you meant "levity"; "brevity" is not exactly your strong suit! :lol: :lol:
    (I'm taking your advice to heart!)