1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

God in Your Bloodstream

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Jan 16, 2011.

1. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'll point out the parts that seem strange to me.

Bottom line here is that if the first postulate is faulty, then any remaining construction is meaningless other than as an individual Rorschach test.

We don't have much understanding of the majority of the universe in pure physics. In fact the vast majority of matter (dark matter) and energy (dark energy) have virtually nothing known about them. The condition of "irrefutable proof" concerning spiritual possibilities when we don't know hardly anything about the most basic matter of the universe is rather strange to me, even in fantasy.

Here's a fork in the road. Is it possible that you could experience life after death and find out that there is no god in the afterlife....or does your proof include life after death being also irrefutably proven not to exist? (e.g. Is irrefutable proof imply that the present known physics are the only physics possible?)

The problem here is that the "irrefutable proof" would bring an enormous amount of other baggage or enlightenment. It's very, very much like the debates of early Quantum Mechanics where the efforts to propose experiments that removed the observing apparatus from the theory kept many from understanding the theory. Let's say that part of the irrefutable proof was that our souls/consciousness/memories/whatever do not die. You obviously can see some of the "hidden assumptions" of your first statement. Not only does god need to be proven not to exist, but all our fears of consciousness termination (lacking a better word) have to be proven true as well. I suspect that was some of your original intent.

Really? There are an enormous number of Near Death Experiences recorded, but most go unrecorded since most listeners have decided already what the "cause" is. There is a lot of info worth investigating there-scientifically. Interestingly, this area of study is ignored by both Mainstream Religion and Mainstream Science. Additionally, virtually all the reports do not describe an interventionist god of any sort, but do describe a vast universe beyond what we see and hear. I don't know what to make of it, but I'm not about to declare all those NDE experiences as deceptive fabrications. (Fun note-One NDE experiencer, after describing their experience to their doctor was told to see their minister. When describing the same thing to the minister, was told to see their doctor.) If you are not investigating these, what would it take for you to be motivated to investigate?

I would not either....although it's a popular character for many simple theologies.

Now in all honesty, I would have had less to say if your starting postulate was "What if it became clear that your theology of "hell, damnation, redemptions, etc." was proven to be defective". I think that is happening all the time.

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks very much for your detailed response.

I think you're too caught up in the physics in the question which are, as I tried to say, irrelevant, because the question is not a physics question but philosophical/psychological. Any assumptions you feel are "hidden" are your own, but that's kind of what I'd like to find out, WHAT ARE the assumptions in your view of what God constitutes in your life. If I'd tried to nail down too much in the way of specifics, THAT WOULD have constrained answering.

To get rid of the distraction of the physics, this is more along the lines of what I meant:

If you lost your spouse of 30 years, how would your life change? The changes would be significant and would impact multiple facets of self identity/personality. A spouse in a deep and healthy relationship is not someone separate from you but an integral part of your very being. You'd have no trouble listing out specific aspects of your life wrenched forever askew by that event (once you'd gotten over the shock and grief).

Well, pretend that spouse is God, permanently wiped out of your life. What would you miss? How would you change, if at all?

The question deliberately does not say anything about states of being after death - if that dimension is vital to what God means in your life then that should be part of your answer: it would alter your hopes/beliefs about what happens after the heart runs down, and those hopes/beliefs are what let you sleep at night (if that's the case). But that's just one dimension - surely God's influence is multi-dimensional, and runs further than just what happens AFTER this life, and has profound influence in the here and now, for most people who believe in God.

So, WHAT are those influences that if absent would change you, behaviorily or just in the way you feel about things?

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am impressed airportkid. How you described that relationship above is what God wants with each of us and what God's children (those who believe) should strive for; with God first, family next, others and finally yourself. Of course our busy, worldly lives often interferes, sadly.

So my point is if the the stronger/deeper that relationship is, the harder it would be if it were no longer. Hope that makes sense and I like your analogy.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Quick question-Have you ever read Flowers for Algernon? (The discussion reminds me of a section of the story.)

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh yes, heartbreaking. Funny, in all the years since 1968 I still haven't seen the Cliff Robertson movie "Charly" based on that story, but having read the story seeing it as a movie isn't necessary.

I don't see the connection but the last time I read it was years ago so I only recall the basic outlines. What part of it (if you can do it without spoiling it for any who haven't read it or seen the film) reminds you of this discussion? Did Charly become aethistic during the positive phase of his "therapy"?

Now I'll have to go find one of my anthologies that's got that story and read it again - but not now; I'm not in a crying mood. :)

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, why do some prefer sheep?

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You tell us.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I answered the subject question with my first post in the thread.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The section I was going to refer to was the initial Rorschach test that main character took. No matter how hard the Doctor tried to make him see the associations, the only thing he could see was just ink blots.

In the abstract, the same thing is going on here. You want a guess as to what one would do given a "god is gone" Rorschach test. OK. I can do that.

My answer is absolutely no change would occur in me whatsoever.

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's another interesting hypothetical question that probably deserves its own thread but I don't want to start yet another new religious thread:

What if God was scientifically shown, beyond a shadow of a doubt, to definitely exist. However, He just happens to be Allah, the Muslim God, and the radical Shia were correct all along. How would you react?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually, he is the same God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. mohammud just changed a few things around to irritate the Jews and Christians.

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey! Something else we both agree on!!!!

1 person likes this.