1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

goes into reverse but not drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Juliesharp, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Juliesharp

Juliesharp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exhausted all my options i have a 2004 prius, triangle,check engine,abs,and vsc lights are on, checked the inverter pump, the res. has what i think is decent flow, unhooked neg cable @ tthe 12 v car battery to reset runs about 15-20 min with no check lights then they came back on, after reset, car drove around the block fine got home shut off the car started it again and they all came back on. Took the hybrid bat blower out cleaned it, made sure it was blowing decent put it back together , reset again 10 min later lights came back on, checked voltage thu display diagnostic with everything off its reading 14.2, running with lights and a/c on voltage is 13.7, unhooked neg again to reset, cleaned throttle body with b12 throttle body cleaner(sensor safe) lights stayed off while cleaning, tried to put car in drive, and i get the nutral notification and the red triangle, it goes off when put back in park, trans did shift into reverse with no warning light, after a couple more min all lights came back on, hooked jumper cables to 12v bat, no change please help not sure what else to try

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

you probably need to have the codes read, but it might be worth having the 12v tested. how old is it?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    How about getting the codes read?

strawbrad likes this.
  4. Juliesharp

Juliesharp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12v bat installed 9-9-2016 i have no way to read the codes i live out in the middle of nowhere 385$ to tow to the shop was trying to avoid it

5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    next to the 12 volt battery is a black box, theres a white wire clip with about 5 wires unplug it wait 30 seconds and plug it back in, make sure it clicks.. if that doesn't work disconnect the black ground wire from the battery at the body wait 30 seconds and reconnect it that will reset everything but erase any stored codes

6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    where are you in florida? tampa hybrids owner Todd does not mind giving help over the phone, when he has the time, he is near land o lakes if that helps

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Juliesharp

Juliesharp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Levy county between bronson and ceder key, ive cleared the system multiple times to no avail, i will try disconnecting the plug u mentioned thank you

8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    heres some posts that might help..
    Prius won't go into drive... | PriusChat
    it could also be the shifter is bad, at 14 yrs old anything is possible..
    have you tried hold the shifter in the drive position for a few seconds? its really just an electrical switch