1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going away for 5 weeks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Sep 28, 2006.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I am going on vacation and I am leaving my Prius behind. I was going to shut off the SKS but I will have someone to turn the car on and off for me and he might move the car out of the driveway and back. Do you guys think that that's enough to find the car operational after I come back?

2. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Sep 28 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]325261[/snapback]</div>

I don't know if that's enough to keep it charged, but you might as well turn off the SKS and just have him/her insert the fob to start. Unless they're really familiar with the SKS system, putting the fob in is more "normal" and you're less likely to have someone accidentally leave the car powered on... they'll have to take the fob to leave.

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The car "should" be just fine even without turning it on. The concern is draining the 12v battery, not the big battery. While turning off the SKS would normally be sufficient, you could always disconnect the battery either under the hood or at the battery terminal as an abundance of caution (you'll lose radio presets and a few other minor things that way). If I were doing it, I'd only turn off the SKS (but back it into my garage just in case I would need a jump start) and not worry about having someone turn in on while I was gone.

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I left mine for 5 weeks just as it is and it was fine when I got back!!! I did leave it in the garage. :p

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Huskers: I assume you have the SKS (keyless entry)?

I'm leaving for 3 weeks and I'm wondering how long the 12V will last. Some seem to have a problem already after 2 weeks but that seem a bit fast?

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    problems really seem to vary by car... some have gone as little as 1 week and had problems, others have gone 3+ weeks with no problems... regardless, it's best to just play it safe and turn off the SKS if you'll be gone longer than a weekend or so.

For the OP: I'd turn off the SKS unless the person tending the car is very experienced with it and the Prius... better to ensure they turn the car off then come back to big problems. Letting the car run just sitting there for 5-10 minutes should be plenty to keep a good battery from going bad. The ICE doesn't need to be running for the 12V battery to be charging (since it charges from the HV batteries), so you don't really need to even worry about moving it. additionally, the car will turn on the ICE if it needs to charge the HV batteries, so moving really isn't needed!

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Thanks everyone.
    I like to run my life on a risky side so I am not doing anything to the car. I am going to leave it as is :D
    Ohh and I will report back what happend so you will all know what happens to the car in a situation like that.