1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going from a 2005 Acura RL to a 2006 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tyrael, Jul 12, 2006.

1. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone. I'm posting tonight 2 day after I bought my Prius from Maroone Toyota in Weston, Florida (just west of Fort Lauderdale). It is my 2nd post on this board and am very excited to join such a great and intelligent crowd.

The decision was simple...I was going to check out the new Camry Hybrid as well as the Prius' after work just for kicks. I knew that there was little voice in the very, very back of my head saying that I need to get rid of the RL only because of the new cut backs that I have to take. I’ve always wanted to have a hybrid test drive experience, so I went. I needed to get rid of the RL because the gas was costing me about $50 a week to a week and half and that I just wanted a car with lower payments. I sent in an internet request in the morning and by late afternoon, I found myself test driving both cars.

the Camry
    Initially impressed by the design and feel for the car, I went into it excited to see a new console and in dash display but was left behind by how sluggish the car felt. I mean, maybe because I was so use to the RL's torque filled V6 and AWD that when I punched the Camry, I didn't "feel" it. I drove it some more and did come to the conclusion that I had to just get use to it. The acceleration wasn't there and it seemed that if I wanted to get somewhere, I might as well floor the darn thing. The interior build was pretty descent without the Nav and the BMWesq MPG analog indicator was kind of fun. (That would be a good mod to the Prius maybe) The trunk definitely does suffer quite a bit of storage depletion due to the overwhelming battery placement and the seats do not fold down either. All in all, I would have to say that I would give it a 7+ to a 8- out of 10 just because I wasn't feeling it.

the sale...
    I hopped into the Prius and was literally blown away! I knew that this was going to be it. I still can’t believe that I’m driving ones of these cars! Let me just say WOW again! I gunned it out from the low, and couldn't stop starrring at all the little arrows. I driven now only about 110 miles in 2 days as well as pretty much got the glide thing going for me, so you can say that I'm a happy camper. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and wanted to know if there are a few of us out there that can help me with all the mods? I’ve been reading around and am slowly getting the courage to do the rear view camera always on, but the video and the EV modes are just a little too much for me. I’ll keep reading on, but let me know! I’m always down to hang out!

2. Lola'05

Lola'05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tyrael @ Jul 12 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]285274[/snapback]</div>

Welcome. You are just a young one . You will soon learn all the joys of the Prius. Go with the car.

3. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, welcome to the family... good choice, wish you the very best.

Happy Motoring :rolleyes:

Howie

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow..

Living in FL, you'll be one of the lucky few that actually achieve the 60mpg mark. The other would be TX lol.

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tyrael @ Jul 12 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]285274[/snapback]</div>
    If you are going to do mods then do the Anytime camera, speed sensor, navigation override, and the EV mod all at the same time. It is easier that way.
    Take your time a read all the instructions first but then you can work under the dash one time and be done. Until you figure out another mod you want to do.

Congratulations

6. marjam

marjam Member

The Acura is probably a wonderful car but you have made such a great choice. The Prius will become more and more fun the longer you drive it. I have had an '01 and an '04 and would not consider any other car on the market today. :D

7. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did the Acura have navigation? If so, how does the Prius navigation compare?

And, of course, congratulations on choosing a car even more wonderful than an Acura.

8. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad to hear of your decision as it further solidifies my decision to go w/ the Prius. I wasn't looking at an RL - but when I bought I was considering a TL - which is a stunningly nice car, in my opinion. But also a good $5-$10k higher on base and not great mpg, not to mention requiring premium gas. Finally, the Prius hatch sealed the deal - very versatile - vs. a trunk with no fold down seats.

Enjoy the car!

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Strange, the Camry is faster than the Prius.

Constant acceleration = you can't feel it.

10. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prianista @ Jul 12 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]285405[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't had that much time to actually play around with the Prius' navigation system, but one thing that I am already missing in the little knob that I used to navigate the screen. Scrolling through the map isn't that handy. Also, the fact that I can't have my passenger play with it off the bat kind of stinks. We had to pull over last night (he was driving) while I inputted where we wanted to go. The colors aren't as vivid and the voice technology is far better in the TL/RL series. There is also a bird's eye view that the RL has to offer which I have not found in the Prius.

It stinks that the only time in the day that I get to enjoy my vehicle is to and from work and the one other time where I had to do an errand. Either than that, I can't hardly wait for the weekend so that I can actually get time to spend with the new car. I'm loving it so far!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Jul 13 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]285453[/snapback]</div>
    I'm glad that you are able to feel a little more confident in your decision. Funny thing that I too also feel a little better that there is another member who also made the "choice." I do like the trunk and fold down seats! It's very convenient. The RL though and TL were definitely great vehicles!!!

Now, talking about Premium gas, I've also chosen to do the higher octane (only $1.50 - $3.00 more per tank) and haven't searched yet, but will it hurt me? I was or still am under the impression that the better burn is better overall by providing better performance and gas mileage.

11. troe

troe New Member

I hopped into the Prius and was literally blown away! I knew that this was going to be it. I still can’t believe that I’m driving ones of these cars! Let me just say WOW again! I gunned it out from the low, and couldn't stop starrring at all the little arrows. I driven now only about 110 miles in 2 days as well as pretty much got the glide thing going for me, so you can say that I'm a happy camper. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and wanted to know if there are a few of us out there that can help me with all the mods? I’ve been reading around and am slowly getting the courage to do the rear view camera always on, but the video and the EV modes are just a little too much for me. I’ll keep reading on, but let me know! I’m always down to hang out!
    [/quote]

Welcome from a fellow Floridian. Hope you love the car as much as I love mine. I am up in Panama City, so a long way from Ft. Lauderdale, but happy to see you made the choice you did, I had the same type of buying experiance, tried a HCH and TDI, then got into the Prius and it was over, had to have the car. Good Luck :D

[​IMG]

12. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Drop the higher octane gas! It will not help in anyway. Not better MPG or health of engine.

13. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 13 2006, 08:13 AM) [snapback]285548[/snapback]</div>
    Well, what I meant by the constant acceleration was not a bad thing, but a good thing. I love it! Still trying to get used to the CVT tranny, but the Camry just didn't feel right. I didn't drive the one with navigation so that might have turned me off, but for what you got, the Prius was the better buy. The rear seat is definitely not for 3 peeps in the Prius while the Camry seem to provide just a little more room, but the trunk didn't fair well with me at all. I was appalled with the space that was available. Not good at all. I plan to move again and thought of the storage capacity. When I move in a couple of months (hopefully back to San Diego) I'll report back on traveling cross country.

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The seats DO fold down in the Camry Hybrid, they just don't do much good!

Definitely use the low-octane fuel. The Atkinson cycle engine is plenty happy with it. I run 85 octane here in the Denver area. (Like 87 octane at sea level).

Nate

15. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 13 2006, 05:13 AM) [snapback]285548[/snapback]</div>
    Not according to Newton:

F = mA

(means you CAN feel it... :) )

16. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was probably one of the early few people who test drove RL when it came out because I was #1 on my dealer's waiting list. Coming from BMW 540iA (DOHC V8, 290hp/324lb), the RL's SOHC V6 300hp/265lb didn't impress me at all. The AWD, though very high-tech, can't be appreciated by most people who don't drive aggressively or under bad weather constantly. Its lack of low-end makes it sluggish when starting off. You have to rev the engine up high to feel the power. The AWD added about 200-300lb (compared with TL), which slow its down to 6.8-7.0sec (0-60mph). At $50k MSRP, though fully loaded with bells and whistles, it is too expensive for a sedan with small interior volumn (not much bigger than TL or Accord). Needless to say, I bought the Prius at 50% of the price and have been happy with it. Prius is not about performance. It is a fun, commute car that you actually look forward to drive everyday.

17. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Jul 13 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]285665[/snapback]</div>
    According to Einstein and Relativity, constant acceleration is indistinguishable from gravity. Does your current constant 9.8m/s^2 acceleration feel fast?

So we've been trained to think that only changing acceleration beyond our normal experience of 1G (shifting gears, elevator accelerating/decelerating, etc) equals 'power & speed' and anything else is 'sluggish'.

Can you feel the thousands of Km of speed of the rotating Earth as it whips around the Sun, or the speed of an elevator in the middle of its ride?

Anyways, I remember buying an Altima from Maroone Nissan a few years back. Not too bad a place overall.

18. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 13 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]285776[/snapback]</div>
    I meant "feel" as in feel a force.

You're mixing constant acceleration with constant velocity. I sure do feel the 9.8 m/s^2 in the seat of my pants when I'm sitting. That would also be true if I were in an elevator in space accelerating at 9.8 m/s^2; that's what Einstein meant.

Your other two examples are (at least to an approximation) constant velocity situations, which of course you can't "feel", you can only perceive if you can notice something moving with respect to your frame of reference.

All this is a bit confused by the fact that we call cars that can accelerate quickly "fast" cars. What you feel IS the acceleration, not the speed (velocity).

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Jul 13 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]285813[/snapback]</div>
    I'm decidedly Not. Fast cars feel fast because they have large varying acceleration due to the gear shifts. The HSD gives pretty much a flat acceleration curve that can equate to feeling 'sluggish' when it's not really slow. There's a big graph of it somewhere.

I'm not certain of elevators, but due to rotation and revolution in a uniform circular motion, the Earth is under constant acceleration, not constant velocity. Velocity is a straight line, which is neither. But close enough approximations of constant velocity as you said because the direction of the vector moves so slowly.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Jul 13 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]285813[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed!

20. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Jul 13 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]285569[/snapback]</div>
    This is true. The Prius was designed to run on 85 or 87 octane. Anything higher and you're basically just wasting $$ and not doing something 'better' for the car. :)