1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

going lower. . .inserts. . .

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prius70, Apr 21, 2008.

1. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I applaud your work and efforts; I like the car lowered. I dropped mine withthe TRD suspension andit came down about 1". Not enough for me but given my commute and number of miles that will have to do.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The drivers side rear view is lower then the passenger side.. so i hope you're not measuring by those! the passenger mirror is higher because it needs clearance to be visible... *shrug* this was discussed back in 04.. i don't have the post.

So with the stock springs on it road pretty nice... that's stock springs with the lower mount still raised right?

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm sure he is measuring ride height from the center of the wheel to the fender lip - that is the "proper" way to measure ride height as different size wheels/tires, don't affect the measurement.

4. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

yup, i've got the stock springs on it right now up front with the 1 1/2 inch raised strut mounts.

the drivers side gap is just about right but the passenger side gap is up to 1/2 inch wider!! just nuts!!

i thought i was very careful to reposition and weld the mounts equal on both sides soo i've been scratching my head about what went wrong?

i could see being 1/4 inch off but 1/2 is just too much!!

the car rides too soft in front right now soo my plan is to reweld the drivers side mount up about 1/2 inch and put my blitz springs back in leaving the passenger side alone.

that will hopefully even out the ride in front. . .

5. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

thanx cairo, i probably should have stopped at putting in the blitz springs as my commute is 60 miles round trip everyday and being about an inch lower looked good and had no scraping problems whatsoever.

now lowering it just another inch makes those speedbumps and steep driveways a concern which were not before!!

6. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

final ride height. . .for now. . .

i put the blitz springs back in front and rewelded/repositioned BOTH lower mounts to even out the front. . .

front wheel center to fender lip: 12 1/4 inches

rear wheel center to fender lip: 11 3/4 inches

Attached Files:

7. Five5Six

Five5Six New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Awesome work.

8. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

thanx!

i like how the car rides now. . .really nice, sporty, and responsive.

checking "lowering" off the to do list.

. . .moving on to strut bar, fog lights, signal mirrors, sound insulation, and tint in no particular order. . .

9. gitong

gitong New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I understand that you replaced ypur original springs with blitz springs. You also did some modification with your suspension. My question is this; If I simply replace my original springs itself would the outcome be; At least 1" lowered? Would I need an alignment? thanks. What are your suggestions.

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anytime you are switching out springs which raise/lower a car you need to have it realigned. BTW the TRD suspension lowered my car about 3/4".

11. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

agree!!

i think the blitz springs alone were about an 1inch drop up front and a little less out back.

it would be nice to drive around in different cars with different lowering springs/struts. . .blitz, trd, montegi. . .to compare the ride and height, etc. . .

i posted some tape measurements pics with the blitz springs installed in a different thread. this should be close to what you'll get with springs alone. search under "blitz" as title of thread. . .

get some camber kits for the front in case you need them to correct camber alignment at the alignment shop. ebay item. . . around 15 dollars a set shipped.

good luck!

12. Solar Element

Solar Element Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

thanks for this observation. In my opinion OEM KYB (KaYaBa) shocks are one of the worst OEM part of the whole car. Those are very stiff in relation to spring rate and cause an overdamped ride most of the time. This is very noticeable with little suspension travel, on little road irregularities. II Gen Prius could be much more ride comfotable with different shocks damping settings.