1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going off grid in Africa - Again!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jerrymildred, Jun 9, 2021.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By the way, I really HATE those stupid DIN mounted circuit breakers. My theory is that the panel boards in the US like Square-D are made for $40/hour electricians. The DIN rail ones are made for $0.20/hour electricians. That's pretty much all they have here. The nice Square D ones in the picture above, we sent over for the original construction.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Because of individual terminations needed at the breakers rather than clipping onto a bus, or for some other reason?

I guess the projects where I like rail are the ones to build something in small quantity that isn't just power distribution ... because lots of stuff can be bought that fits on rail.

3. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly. It takes forever to do and fills the box with wires that shouldn't be necessary.

4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got termites? I've seen lots of bigger mounds, but this one is close to the road.
    IMG_3739.jpg

Today is my last day in Mango even though my flight isn't till Sunday. My host needs to be in Lomé tomorrow afternoon for some personal business. So, I'm about to start putting away my tools and will be packing this afternoon. There's a pizza party this evening so this is my best opportunity to be ready to hit the road at 7AM. I did the COVID test this morning at the hospital that's associated with the radio station. I think the swab might have come out of my right ear. Not sure but glad that that should be the last one for the foreseeable future..
    IMG_3737.jpg

ETC(SS) likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just curious, were you able to get vaccinated before leaving?

Bob Wilson

ETC(SS) and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got my shots back in Feb. & March.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We made it to Lomé in nearly record time -- about 7-1/2 hours.

IMG_3782.jpg
    Some of the low mountains that go all the way from the coast up into Nigeria.

IMG_3787.jpg
    Two cows in a three-wheeler.

IMG_3792.jpg
    One of the most interesting spots along the entire road. It's one-way now, but was originally two-way. I still don't know why they cut the rock this way, but it looks cool.

IMG_3799.jpg
    Another Apsonic laden with livestock. These little 3-wheeled trucks with motorcycle engines are really popular here.

IMG_3803.jpg
    This wreck was about two weeks ago. They've already painted a road sign on it.

IMG_3808.jpg
    Another of the countless wrecks you see on every trip between Mango and Lomé. This one was fresh and we were caught in a traffic jam for 15-20 minutes.

IMG_3811.jpg
    My host/chauffeur dickering over the price of Fulani cheese at the roadside.

IMG_3814.jpg
    Lots of trucks are piled higher than this one. Most lean to one side or the other. Some are dog-legged as much as 4-5 feet.

IMG_3815.jpg
    I was told that this was a fatal head-on. One I saw earlier that I didn't have the camera ready for killed five people. As my friend here says, this trip is not something you take lightly.

IMG_3822.jpg
    Safety third!!

IMG_3825.jpg
    My digs for tonight through Sunday early morning. Very African atmosphere. Nice, but far from deluxe.

IMG_3827.jpg
    A pretty nice beach at the hotel.

IMG_3840.jpg
    And a 170º panorama of the pool.

Tomorrow, my host takes his daughters to the orthodontist, we get some shopping done, and we eat. He said that for supper, we're going to a restaurant atop a 22-story hotel. The next morning begins the ordeal of getting through the COVID, passport, etc. screenings at the airport, an 11-hour flight to Newark and my return to a place where I can understand what most people are saying. As of tonight, I'm still waiting for the results of the COVID test I had done yesterday morning.

#47 jerrymildred, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great travelogue. Have a safe trip back to the US. I hope your home was OK with the passing of Elisa.

Just wondering... what are the First and Second? LOL

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a quote from Mike Rowe on "Dirty Jobs." I'd say that first here is finding provision for your family. Second might be finding contentment in your circumstances.

Trollbait and Salamander_King like this.
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just arrived in Tokyo, where I'm basically not allowed in public for the next 14 days.

I had to pass 3 covid tests just to get this far and was just informed that I need to take another one tomorrow. I can't wait to see what they make me do to get back home.

Safe travels & thanks for the pictures!

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Which events will you be covering:whistle:?

I'll be watching (y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm back!! What a trip. As I got out of the car in our driveway, my adrenaline vanished, and I just wanted to go to bed. But first, I had to kiss my wife a few more times and show her the goodies I brought back for her including about 48 yards of African fabric.

On the COVID front, by noon Saturday, it was looking like they might have lost my test. My host told me it wouldn't be the first time that happened and, as long as I showed proof at the airport that I'd paid for the test, they'd either wave me through or do a quick test right there. It turned out to be moot because my host seems to know everyone. He called someone Saturday afternoon to look into it. We didn't hear back, so we went to the old airport where they normally do the tests, talked to some people there, made another phone call, and a half hour later, the negative test results were in my email inbox.

IMG_3876.jpg
    My host, guide, and friend looking for the right shoes. There were about two dozen of these big umbrellas festooned with shoes and sandals.

He showed me around town as he did his shopping and we had a wonderful lunch at a seriously luxurious hotel. It's the tallest building in Lomé, so we naturally went to the 27th (top) floor for a look out the windows.
    IMG_3858.jpg
    WOW! We should have stayed here! But lots more money and no beach for the kids. The pool looked amazing, though.

IMG_3919.JPG
    Pork chops for lunch. Four of us ate for $30.

IMG_3861.jpg
    View from the men's room on the 27th floor.

Check in Sunday morning at the airport. Go through a security check at the front door. Not bad. Wait for ticket counter to open. Check in. So far, so good. Go to passport control. Smooth. Another security check. OH MY!!! I have three AA batteries in my flashlight!!! GASP! Can't have that. By the way, can I have a couple of those extra face masks in your carryon bag? So I gave him the batteries and a couple face masks. Shrug shoulders, scratch head, put shoes back on, and move along to the next adventure.

Arrive at gate area. Another security check. This is about 200' after the previous one and none of the other gates have this. Must be a U.S. thing. But it's not open yet. Once it opens, have another person paw through my stuff. Good thing I packed carefully so I could find what I need quickly.

Talk to wife on FaceTime while waiting at the gate. (I bought 60GB of cellular data for about $20 when I arrived in Togo. Even with tons of video chats and research for the stuff I was working on, I only used about 15% of it.) SO GLAD I got a SIM card when I entered the country!! Made me much more productive plus the benefits of talking to people back home via Facetime over cell data.

IMG_3897.jpg
    Plane took off at about 12:30 PM, right on time. I had a row to myself, the flight was almost all smooth, and the service was good. Much better than the overnight flight with dirty bathrooms going over there. After 10-1/2 hours in the air, we landed on time in Newark. Then I waited for my bags. And waited. 1-1/2 hours after the plane landed, the bags landed on the belt. Sheesh!!

IMG_3912.jpg
    Landing at Newark Airport.

The signs to the hotel shuttles are very vague but I followed what looked like the most promising route, going by "air train" to the P4 area. Called the hotel to ask about the shuttle schedule. They confirmed that I was in the right place. Sure nice to be able to understand people!! Checked in and crashed in bed asap. Let's see, I got up at 5 AM Togo time (1 AM EDT). Hit the sack at about 10 PM EDT.

Woke up at 5 AM, well before the set time for the alarm. Breakfast at the hotel. Shuttle to airport. Check in online. Drop bags. Go to gate and wait some more. Call wife while waiting for flight to Atlanta. So far, so good.

Arrived in Atlanta at gate A5. Depart from Gate A2. That's nice!! But before I board again, the Chick-fil-A at the food court is calling me.

Take off nearly on time. Now the fun starts. We start zig zagging. Dodging storms. Then we do a complete 180 and start flying an oval pattern over the Gulf near Tallahassee. Captain says there are storms over Tampa's airport and that's slowing things down. We'll circle and wait our turn. After about an hour of that, the captain tells us we need gas, so we're going to Jacksonville to fill up and wait out the storm.
    IMG_3922.jpeg
    Eventually, two hours after we were to have landed in Tampa, we took off from JAX. The takeoff felt like the pilot was in as big of a hurry as the passengers. Got to Tampa three hours late. Got bags, drove the 35 minutes home with my wife. Crashed in bed.

Our office manager ordered me to take the rest of the week off. I didn't argue. :D

farmecologist and ETC(SS) like this.
  13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome home.
    "Well done..."
    I never realized Mango was that large....

I did some virtual traveling just now (wish my HS french were better)
    Quite the operation.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, working in a language you don't really understand is pretty stressful.
    Here are some Google Earth images to locate the place for anyone who wants to see it. HR satellite view.png

And a couple pix of the place.
    IMG_3417.jpg IMG_3516a.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg

edthefox5 and john1701a like this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh yeah! I had goals on this trip. Did I meet them? Well, some of them, but not all. They were lofty goals and I didn't really expect to get everything done.

(TLDNR version: It was a very successful trip!!)
    1. Installed the replacement SMA Tripower inverter. The old one was stuck in an "insulation resistance error and wouldn't run. They have at lease one panel in each array that is leaking water when it rains or there's heavy dew. The inverter wouldn't clear the alarm. That actually took a large part of the first week since I'd never done it and was relying on advice from the guy in North Carolina who installed the system.
    2. Also, in the 1st week, I addressed their battery issue. They have essentially destroyed their 48 lead acid batteries that should have been able to store 2,000 AH. Totally dried out. What they did was move the temperature sensor out from among the batteries to the outside because they were getting battery temperature alarms. So rather than find a way to cool the batteries, they cooled the sensor. I almost swallowed my tongue when I saw what they did. I think I have them convinced that new batteries are worth the cost, but it'll take them about a year to raise funds and get them delivered.
    3. As it is, the system can still power the facility, but the battery capacity is so low that we had to put the studios on city power. I guided them in installing a really nice voltage regulator and simple transfer switch for the studio building. It is almost always on city power now.
    4. But, with no battery capacity, they still could not broadcast in the dark or the rain. They needed city power to the transmitter room, too. Now they can be on the air all the time when the sun is shining, and after dark, they are on whenever the city is able to keep the electricity on. They have ordered a very large UPS system for the transmitter room to protect that $15,000 transmitter from all the transients that probably happen when the city power goes on and off several times a minute. I drew up a sketch to show them how to wire it up.
    5. We cleaned all the dust out of the transmitter and washed the filter. Also replace the CR2032 CMOS battery in the transmitter.
    6. I helped them download and install an app to let them monitor and tweak the transmitter from their computers. The old way of doing that involved Flash and MicroSoft has finally followed Apple's lead in banning Flash and even Adobe themselves have finally dumped it.
    7. Once we got that app installed, I made an adjustment to stop the over modulation they were having. I also made them a check sheet for monitoring the health of the transmitter.
    8. I spent quite a bit of time coaching their technician and advising on the importance of housekeeping and preventative maintenance. We also had some studio time when I showed him some shortcuts with Adobe Audition that will save him a lot of time in editing the audio files.
    Those are the main highlights. The technician didn't want me to leave. He's a really smart kid, but not really experience in a lot of stuff he's responsible for. And he's terrifically busy.

All in all, I think it was a success. At some point someone (maybe me) needs to go there to replace two sets of guy wires on the tower. When we put it up, some of the wire I planned to use wasn't available. So we had the Togolese tower crew bring some with them. It's that wire that's starting to rust now. The American wire looks brand new.

The radio station and the people there are having an amazing impact on the community and the surrounding region. I am very humbled to have been able to take part in designing, building, and supporting something that God is using so powerfully to bring good news to people who would never hear it any other way.

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Plus the antenna is straight now! :ROFLMAO:

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Africa isn't done with me. Update on the knee locking issue I mentioned on the second page here. It still locks almost every time I straighten it. Apparently, that was the straw that broke the camel's back err ... knee. I got an MRI and it turns out that besides a big spur on the front of my femur behind my kneecap, there is no cartilage to speak of in two of the three parts of the knee and some of the bone is ground away as well. I'm amazed it doesn't hurt worse. But it will hurt worse pretty soon -- for a while. Three weeks from today I'm scheduled for a total knee replacement. Yikes! Not quite what I expected, but not a total surprise either. It's been bothering me for about nine years.

edthefox5 likes this.
  18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time for a new thread.... ;)

...with pictures. :barefoot:

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Great thread to read through! We have a team of doctors/nurses in my church who travel to Afghanistan for medical/missionary trips and have asked me to come along for security help. (I'm former special-operations in the Air Force and on the church security team) Unfortunately, it hasn't been possible to get a month off from my present job when I needed it to go with them but hoping to make it out sometime.

jerrymildred and farmecologist like this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ouch that’s a full knee. Wow you went to Africa on that knee? I get it though when your in pain for so long you just put up with it. What an adventure you had I followed it closely great photos.

Been through this knee too take my advice the second they get an IV in you tell them your very anxious about the nerve block shot and the surgery and could they give you something. They will light you right up on the spot lol…you’ll be buying drinks all around lol…
    If you don’t you’ll be wide awake through that shot. Nitey nite asap my friend you won’t feel a thing after that.

See if the do computer assisted alignment too the knee will be perfect. They sew a couple of sensors to your leg jig up your leg and the computer tells them where to put the lags, It’s not covered by insurance but it is very worth it. Your knee will be guaranteed perfectly straight.

when they do a knee the Striker truck is outside in the parking lot they have onboard every knee joint they make. They just call down with the specs
    After cutting and measuring. Yup we got that one.

Lastly take your pain pills before rehab. Do not mess around with therapy do every thing they tell you If not you will have a poor recovery.

good luck!

jerrymildred likes this.