1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going on a 3 month trip, how to avoid a dead 12v battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Oct 31, 2010.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK:

1] I know I need to turn off the SKS so the battery wont drain, what else should I do to save the 12V battery?

2] how do I open the door with the SKS turned off when I get
    back?

3] how do you turn the SKS back on [do I just hit the SKS button again??]

4] what else will I need to do when I get back in 3 months to get going?

1 person likes this.
  2. jbgggg

jbgggg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I disconnect the negative battery cable from the 12 volt battery. You will loose your radio presets so write them down before disconnecting the battery. My car is in a garage so I put a work glove over the hatch latch so I can open it when I return and reconnect the battery. This has worked well for me. I also make sure to drive the car before disconnecting the batter to make sure the traction battery is charged. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Not enough, disconnect the 12v (see above) or attach a "Battery Minder"
    Just press the door unlock button (if the 12v is now connected) on the remote.
    Yes
    If you disconnected the 12v, you will have to reset the radio settings and reinitialize the automatic driver side window opening by fully openning and closing it.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  4. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Or (just a thought) you could install a new Optima before you go, turn off SKS, and just have a nice trip.

1 person likes this.
  5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ask a trusted friend to drive it every couple of weeks. I left mine last Winter for 6 weeks; a friend drove it once after 3 weeks and it was strong a ready to go when I returned.

7. svldvc

svldvc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What is SKS? sorry i'm new to Prius..
    and how do you turn it off/on ??

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Smart Key System

Its the system that senses key fob proximity. It uses power
    when the car is powered off. Although minimal current draw sometimes on prolonged absence it will kill a borderline aux battery. Although, many reports of people going away for 3 months and coming back with no issues but its best to be safe.

To turn the SKS off there's a button under the steering wheel.

The major determining factor is if you have ever had to jumpstart your battery just once its not a good candidate for prolonged absence even with the SKS off.

1 person likes this.
  9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Come on people! RTFM! The SKS system will turn off by itself after a few days of no use. It is -UNNECESSARY- to turn it off manually.

For three months, I'd disconnect the battery -ve terminal unless you have a battery tender to leave connected to it. The Prius 12V battery, even when new and/or in good shape is only going to hold enough charge for about 4-5 weeks of no use, SKS or not! This is not only applicable to the Prius as well. Most modern cars will drain the battery over this kind of time interval of no use.

You WILL have to figure out how you're going to get into the hatch to reconnect the battery. I recommend connecting another 12V source to the boost terminal under the hood to energize the hatch release. A portable boost device is a good choice here, as you can leave it plugged in in your apartment, but even if the car is left at an airport a portable boost device, left on the floor of the car while you are away, should be able to power up the hatch release when connected to the boost terminal.

10. global hybrid

global hybrid Prius Intern

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Every winter our 2008 prius goes into garage storage for three (3) months. 1st, we change insurance coverage to comprehensive only; $$$ savings. 2nd, disconnect the cable from from the battery (10 mm wrench) located on the right side of the trunk. Leave the wrench & work lite close to the work site for ease of reconnection. 3rd, check & clean the cable & terminal connections. 4th, use something to insullate/ separate the terminal & cable from each other. Before closing the hatch I put a shop rag over the lock latch. The key fob then goes into a security container.

11. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    disconnect the cable from from the battery (10 mm wrench) located on the right side of the trunk. Leave the wrench & work lite close to the work site for ease of reconnection. [/QUOTE]

Why can't you just disconnect the + battery post under the hood?:D