1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to A Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v - only 2010 use uppercase

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by ShannonD, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ShannonD

ShannonD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone. I will try to keep this short, but I'd like input from v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) owners, particularly those who have owned an SUV before you went to the v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation). I have two kids, but the oldest just started college. The youngest is 15 and just was accepted a magnet high school that requires me to drive 80 miles round trip most every day (I do have a one person afternoon carpool, so sometimes my afternoons are free.) Anyway, I have a lexus 400h with 105K miles on it (2006.) I love my lexus. I bought it used at a very good deal in 2012. I have never had to do anything other than replace the 12v battery and the regular maintenance. It's a wonderful car and very comfortable. However, I am a bit worried about any upcoming repairs - specifically the hybrid battery or the inverter. (there was an inverter recall for the 2006, but my vin did not qualify.) The inverter repair is 7-9K from what I am reading. I know that these are costly repairs and I'm out of warranty. With the older son in college, I can not afford a new to me used lexus and assuming I plunked down for repairs when the time came, I'd still have a car with over 100K miles on it. So....... my husband bought a prius III hatchback (hope my terminology is right) last year. He drives for his job and was spending $100 weekly in gas in his mercedes ML320 (also old with high miles, but he loves that car.) Anyway, he was pleasantly surprised by the prius and has urged me to consider one. I have driven his prius on my morning commute. I was pleasantly surprised. However, coming from an SUV, I'm thinking the v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) would be the better option. I like that it has more room and cargo space. I don't care a lick about the loss of power and I'm willing to take the nominal MPG hit. I never take advantage of the power in the lexus. I mostly drive in the slow lane and enjoy the comfort. I'm just concerned that it's going to feel tiny and less safe. However, as far as room goes, it's usually just myself and my son in the car (plus a carpooler in the afternoon) So I'm seriously considering the prius v . If it feels too cramped, I've also researched the mazda CX5. But the used ones in my area cost a bit more with higher miles. There's a certified 2012 v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) at my local dealership with 20K miles on it in the $14K range. If I trade my lexus, I'd have a low miles car for not very much. I've loved the lexus' comfortable seats and I love the glide of the hybrid drive (which I know I'll also have with the prius). Just looking for insight from any others who have gone from an SUV to a prius. Wondering what your experiences were. Gas in my lexus hybrid isn't wretched, I get about 26mpg. I've read the mazda CX5 would get upper 20s, but the prius obvious wins there. Thanks.

2. mrswylie

mrswylie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Shannon - I just went from a Honda Odyssey mini-van to a Prius v. The van was purchase new in 2006 and as a now empty nester I spent most of my time driving around in an empty van getting under 20 mpg. I've only owned the Prius about 10 days, but intentionally chose the v because of it's slightly larger size - 1" wider, 3" taller, 6" longer. Doesn't sound like much, but it made a lot of difference in feel to me. It's only a short time, so take my comments with a grain of salt - but thus far I'm really pleased.

3. ShannonD

ShannonD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for your reply. It really helps. I drove a corolla in high school and college. Got tons of carefree miles on it, so I know that Toyota makes a great product, but haven't driven anything other than mini vans and SUV's since I had kids - 19 years ago. It's been a while since I've been in a smaller car. Thanks again.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can afford, another possibility might be the RAV4 Hybrid.

5. ShannonD

ShannonD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I'm going to the toyota dealership tomorrow and will check out the rav 4.

6. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My nutshell opinion is the v is a car, rav4 a truck

7. ShannonD

ShannonD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, and that's where I'm kind of lost. Because to me, the lexus drove like a car but had the height of a truck. I've never driven a rav 4. My husband's 2013 prius hatchback didn't drive badly when I drove it. It was just a little small and I didn't love the line in the back visibility from the hatchback - which is another reason I like the idea of the v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) wagon a little better.

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a posting with a picture of their "overweight Prius" RAV4.
    So happy with the Prius.... | PriusChat

9. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I traded an '13 outback for a '16 v. I found I did not need awd, and the 8+" of ground clearence, and general trucky feel. I did however like the overall interior size, and the v filled that perfecty. We still own an '08, and for 140K, Toyota reliability is great, whichever you choose.

10. ShannonD

ShannonD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is cute!!! However, It would be too expensive. I'm in the used market and as (I think) the rav 4 hybrid ust came out, I thinkI'd have to do with a used rav 4 with the regular engine and just live with the MPG difference, assuming I like the ride. From what I can tell, it would be about the same as my lexus, which isn't horrible.

I definitely don't need AWD. I'm in FL, so no snow or mountains to deal with for me. Mostly highway expressway and some city. I don't think my lexus has a trucky feel, but maybe it does. It's been so long since I've been in an actual car. Before the lexus suv, I had a volvo SUV, that was most definitely a trucky feel - more like a tank. At the time, I didn't mind it because my kids were babies

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I went from a Subaru Forester to the Prius, but more to the point my wife has a Chevy Tahoe as her company car.
    It does not have more load floor than the v, but it is taller in the cargo area. The v holds a lot of stuff, my favorite example is 96 10" by 10" by 3" cheesecakes.
    [​IMG]

We are both over 330 pounds and have no issues with room.

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Went from a Honda CRV to the v.

When my daughter-in-law was buying a used v, she said she found this list of 50+ things I liked and didn't like helpful. It really is a compilation of all the things I've picked up reading these forums since I bought the '12 v Three new. See how your wants/needs matches up.

My immediate reaction is the Lexus to v transition may disappoint simply because you lose the luxury features/finishes. The v is wonderfully practical, reliable, and useful. See how you and the possible passenger(s) fit.

My two went to a magnet school 20 miles away but that didn't mean they didn't haul a ton of stuff back and forth. Lots of after school activities that meant late pickup by dad on the way home so they could get to the homework. The v would have been perfect.

The RAV4 hybrid is nice but not in the price range you are looking at.

Prius v Likes and Dislikes - mikefocke2

13. ShannonD

ShannonD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The cheese cakes are very impressive. How was the transition in terms of height? Seems like the v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) would be much lower to the ground, although I'm sure you quickly get used to it.

I found the likes and dislikes last night. They were very helpful. I think that what I like most about lexus is the seats and the fact that I'm very comfortable in it, but part of that is that I've been driving it for 5 years. I'm not as comfortable about the thought of repairs with the high mileage. My son plays violin (which is the reason for the magnet program) and hauls that every day. Honestly, the violin fits PERFECT in the console of the lexus. And the captains chairs / arms mean it doesn't budge. But I'm sure there's a configuration where the violin would fit in the prius. I actually see a lot of parents in a prius at drop off. It would just take some getting used to. But now that I only have one kid and I drive so far and have one kid in college, the lexus and it's potential expense seems impractical. I'd love to keep it if only I could turn back the miles on it and not pay more for potential repairs than a nice down payment on a car with less miles. I guess it will come down to test driving and how shocking that is to my system. Thanks for the help.

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In 2008 a !ady stood up in church and needed to go to the Dr. in Memphis, 2 1/2 hours away. 3 knee operations, 5 Emergency Room visits, and over 100 Dr. appointments later, she is well.

We started in Subaru Forester but quickly switched to the Prius which she preferred as it was low to get her knee in.

In 2014 I fell down a flight of stairs and detached my quadriceps tendon. I have just finished my second knee operation. Mostly, the Prius is better, but sometimes i want my leg to hang straight down.

15. ltlurker

ltlurker Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    look at your local state hybrid incentives if any. my state needed a >= 40 MPG city to take advantage and that made my decision easy. if not, good luck deciding.

16. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW my wife and I went from a 2006 Dodge Caravan to a 2016 Prius v Three and could not be happier. We were getting 20-22 MPG with the Caravan and now get 48+ MPG around town and 39+ highway driving. We found the cargo space almost equal to the Caravan which was good for my wife and all the stuff she takes on our annual winter trip to deep south Texas. She was a bit apprehensive about moving from the van to the Prius because of sitting lower in the car when she drives but now she would not trade it and go back to the van.

Good luck with your decision.

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be sure you pay attention to seat comfort. That can be especially important for long trips. My son has a 2015 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) Trim 5. The seats are OK for long trips but probably not at the Lexus level. I have the low Trim 2017 Prius and the seats get uncomfortable on longer trips.
    It appears seat comfort can be a subjective personal preference. I do not want to scare you, but sometimes I wish I had made a different purchasing decision.

Good luck on your quest.

18. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I've noticed in thev (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) that if you raise the drivers seat up high, and raise the steering wheel to, it almost feels like you're driving a small SUV with that higher than most cars visibility.

I would say for most people the largest problem with the RX400h to Prius v switch would be power since the RX is very powerful, but for you it doesn't sound like a problem. The road noise might bother you a bit compared to the Lexus, and if it does you can replace the tires with some quiet tires and it will help a ton. Best wishes to you!

Get a v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) 5 with leather and all the goodies if you can!

19. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've had many Lexus RX loaners in my 24 years of driving Lexus LS sedans. The RX became the main loaner vehicle at the local Lexus dealer as soon as it was introduced in the late 1990's.

My take is that an RX of any year - both hybrid and regular - is a vastly superior highway car to a Prius v. I've never been able to get comfortable in our 2012 Prius v but never had a problem getting comfortable in an RX - maybe due to all RX's I've driven having had both power driver and front passenger seats.

We've driven several Toyota and Lexus vehicles from new to far beyond the 105,000 miles your RX is at - don't worry about it. Compared to an LS the RX is cheap to maintain at higher mileages even with its hybrid system - more like the cost of maintaining our last Camry V6 which is now driven by a nephew and is at over 200,000 miles. If the inverter goes bad - and it probably will not - have a used one installed at a far lower price by an indie shop. The main downside I see of a 2006 RX is that (I think) it has a timing belt that should be changed every 90,000 miles or 6 years. IIRC, the 2010 RX was the first model year with a timing chain. The Prius v has a timing chain.

The 2012 Prius v is quite loud at highway speeds, the handling is not great and the ride is harsh although different tires has helped. Ours is used primary as a town car and rarely driven over about 45 mph.

I think a Prius v will work for you only if you are ready for something very different from your RX.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My trip to the grandkids is ~45 miles at 25-55-65-75 MPH. Costco the same. Church the same. I've taken multi person trips to the beach and the mountains and DC that all involved multiple hours at 55 to 75 MPH highway speed trips. The v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v. only 2010 Prius used uppercase roman numerals for model designation) isn't a Porsche but then it uses less than half the gas costs. I don't drive it the same way but it does what I need it to and a don't miss the 6-cyl acceleration as I just allow a bit more time/room. It seems mostly the same to me as the CRV I had except much more MPG.

Is it a plush-mobile? No. But then I don't even like riding in a plush-mobile. My wife's Avalon seems excessive, heavy and wallows.

Drive it on your typical roads, See how you and it fit. Not every car is for everyone.