1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to buy a 2005 with a dead hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bunce, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is the problem. As all the Prius batteries age, reliable sources for used cells are getting scarcer and the demand greater.

edthefox5 likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The op sounds game and has a very understanding wife. That’s going to really help in this endeavor.
    Car is running and it’s pretty easy to get the battery going just need a place to work on it. He’s young enough that a whack a mole numerous events won’t kill him.

Investment in the prolong may be worth it. Also be aware the 12 volt battery will drive you nuts sometimes your better off just buying a new 12 volt battery and check that off the list. 12 volt issues are the number 1 post in this G2 forum soon to be over taken by hybrid battery issues,

Mikesvagen and VFerdman like this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I'm sorry, I was kind of hard on him. I used to be just like him and liked a real challenge and I still do. If he would buy it and put a new or rebuilt battery in it he would have a working car and I would go along with that. I really wish him luck no matter which way he goes and I will help him if I can. You would not believe some of the things that I did when I was young.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is called "Being realistic."

Blind optimism can steer you right into a big mess........and often does.

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OMG....must you always be so NEGATIVE. :eek:
    :ROFLMAO:

And as for repairing automotive batteries in an apartment or condo.......likely highly ILLEGAL......and that is another important "negative" comment too.

6. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bunce, I hope you continue to update this thread and receive advice from other board members. I love threads like this and try to learn as much as I can.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright Sam, thanks for your input but no further input will be needed from you. I appreciate the purchase is a gamble, but it's at a cost I'm willing to risk. I could likely unload the car for the same price if I needed to. It's a calculated risk. Good day.

I've decided to pick up 2 cells and replace Block 8. When they get here I'll pull the battery and swap the modules out, the other blocks are pretty consistent so I won't do any cell shuffling.

If there's some sort of cheap (comparatively) charger that I can then do a big charge with prior to re-install, do let me know. Thanks.

KimPrius1and2, Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from your fingers to tidelands eyes.:rolleyes:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're able, let the car/battery sit a few days untouched. This will help to minimize any module swelling and make it less difficult for reassembly. When you start this job, one of the first things you'll be doing is removing the rear interior of the car. Watch a few online videos to become familiar with it. You'll need 8, 10, 12 and 14 mm sockets. Disconnect the 12v battery (-) terminal and tuck it behind the battery. Leave the (+) terminal alone. Some people like to kill 12v power by pulling the 2 quick connects on the (+) terminal. Personal preference, but I prefer not to risk the small wire breaking off the small plug. Remove the rear seat backrests and the side trim next to them. That makes it much easier to deal with the sidewall panels in the rear, as the leading edge of the rear panels tuck in behind the seat side trim. When you pull the driverside rear panel, use a trim tool or small flat screwdriver to pop out the trunk lamp (pry out the end closest to you and then just pull it out). It makes it very easy to disconnect the power wire. Once you get the HV battery exposed. Remove the safety disconnect. When you start disassembling the battery, keep in mind there are three temperature sensors UNDER the modules. They are attached to the modules, so go slow to make sure you don't tear the wires before you disconnect them.

When you repair the pack, keep in mind that each block is two modules, and the number sequence starts with Block 1, which is at the end that does not have the ecu. Take plenty of photos as you're disassembling so you have references if needed during assembly. The nuts on the module terminals and the machine screws that mount the modules should be torqued to 48 inch pounds (4 ft-lb). Most likely the nuts on your battery are going to be quite corroded.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks TMR, I've watched quite a few of those disassembly videos. This being my favourite so far.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I watched a lot of the video, just out of curiosity. I have to give them credit for taking the time to make such a long video. Several things in it that I don't agree with, but it works for them. It does a good job of explaining and showing removal and disassembly so DIYers have a good starting point.

12. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ill never understand why anyone would buy any 13 year old car and try to fix it, no matter the brand or miles its going to be a money pit..
    the best advise is DONT buy it. if it ran perfectly with a new battery they don't sell for more then $2500 less if its a base model
    after the battery you will be looking at endless other repairs the gen 2's are known for..
    bad digital dash ($175 rebuilt, $800 new from dealer) , bad ABS actuator (over $2500) , oil consumption due to failing ring..(need a rebuilt motor).
    go get yourself a regular car that gets 30 to 35 MPG its cheaper in the long run

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Beachbummm,

Are you still driving the 2008 Prius Five shown under your user name?

Mikesvagen likes this.
  14. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Come on Beachbum, where's the fun in that? My other car is a 1991 VW Vanagon, you must think I'm insane!

Mikesvagen and bisco like this.
  15. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm just doing some research while I'm waiting for the replacement cells to arrive. Is there a list of some sort that I can run through to get the old Prius into tip top shape? I've seen the common problems thread but usually there's a thread to help new owners bring a car into good shape by replacing x,y,z, doing this, that and the other. Can anyone point me to anything like that?

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would want to do something like that AFTER your car runs without any errors. Keeping your cost to a bare minimum in case you need to part with it

17. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah but doing some research ahead of time. With a bit of luck, I'll have the new cells in this weekend.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should check to see if any service records are available so you don't duplicate services.

1. Change all fluids (including brake fluid)
    2. Check brakes
    3. Check air filters (both)
    4. Recondition battery
    5. Change spark plugs
    6. Clean throttle body and MAF sensor
    7. Change PCV valve
    8. Make sure all your lights are working

paprius4030 likes this.
  19. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good information is golden, do you have a shop manual? It won't help you with your battery rebuild but it is nice to have an all in one e source of information.

I recommend a subscription to Mitchels.
    This is a DIY service I believe owned by Snap On.

Do it Yourself Automobile Repair Manuals - Mitchell 1 DIY

20. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cheers JC, I'll look up some how to's for those.

Padroo, yeah I like manuals, for when all else fails ;). I like paper so I can flick through it mid project, I'm looking for a used one since it's going to get oily and dirty anyway.