1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to buy a Gen 2. What should I know?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Isaac Zachary, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Long story short, I want to replace my 1985 VW Golf with something newer, but one that will last for a very long time just like it did. So I went from looking at a Prime to a C to a Gen 3 and now have been directed to getting a Gen 2 as the best idea.

My goal is to spend $10,000 on the car initially including price of car, new belts, hoses, flushes, maybe traction battery, etc., but don't want to replace a motor or transmission, also fix up any signs of rust and such and perhaps do an undercoating for the salt and fix any paint chips, etc., again, don't want a major project, and then drive it 30,000 miles each year over mountain passes and in the winter and all while also taking great care of the car with preventative maintenance and a good waxing a couple times a year. I want it to last as long as possible. I want to get as many miles as possible. And I want good fuel mileage at the same time.

Where I'm coming from is owning a 1985 VW diesel that has possibly some 700,000 miles on it and still runs like brand new but gets 55mpg (GPS, the odometer doesn't work). I've had it for 7 years and still love the way it drives and works. I would like A/C and better emissions and safety and such. But I'm frugal and stingy and don't make a lot of money and can't see buying a new car every 5 years like everyone else.

I do a lot of highway driving, some 150 miles in a day. No stop and go, but a lot of mountains. Usually I'll climb 10,000ft total in one day. Lots of snow and ice in the winter.

But what should I be looking for. I've found a few 2008 and 2009 Gen 2's with low mileage (some less than 50,000) for $7,000 to $11,000. Would that be a good deal? What should I look for when buying a Gen 2?

PS. I'm really terrified about getting a lemon. There are a lot of stories of cars that have been flooded in Texas and Florida being sold elsewhere and then failing as a result. I don't know anyone trustworthy to buy such a car from. I've been through the whole pay$$$ for a car and then have a nightmare to work on for the next several months too many times to want to do that again. I'm so tempted to just keep the VW I have since I know the car inside and out and know what it needs and what I can do to keep it ticking without guessing and spending and waiting. So any help on choosing the perfect Gen 2 (or other suggestion) would be well appreciated!

Thanks!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hello again.:) believe it or not, gen2 battery likes to be used. the predominant theory is that years are harder on the battery than miles. so you are probably better off with a late model gen2 with 100,000 miles+ than you are with lower miles. nimh batteries don't like sitting around.

WilDavis, DLC82SV and Isaac Zachary like this.
  3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry, I tend to be a bit ADD. I did start reading your initial post and then sort of lost track.

One thing I might say, if you are needing the Prius on the high mountain passes of the West, I would be a bit cautious.

The car has a built-in -- "I won't go" mode. Meaning that if it senses loss of traction at all -- even just a bit -- it can go ahead and shut-down totally. That could leave you stranded with a lot of cursing, etc.

Not sure if that plays into what you need. For me, in Oregon, with now-and-again snow, it has been a pain, but nothing I can not live with -- btw, it also does it on dirt/gravel roads --- so if that is an issue ---.

Don't take me wrong. I love the car. The traction control (which I believe they improved in later modes) can sometimes work against you.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  4. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me know if I'm not thinking correctly. I was thinking if I got a 10 year old Prius that it would probably need a new battery rather quickly anyway. It's just kind of a mind set that I need to have $2,000 on hand anyway to change it. It just seems like it should be easier to change than an engine or transaxle (power splitter).

Plus I want to figure out a way to heat the battery. We get very cold winters in Gunnison and it would seem to be best to start out with a battery that's above freezing instead of -40°F (-40°C). Engine block heater is a given. Are the Gen 2's the ones with the heat tank?

5. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know. Just one question. I plan on putting studded snow tires on this car in the winter. Would that make up for the problem?

6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a number of people in your area that post here regularly. "Two-prong Paul" out of boulder comes to mind. I do not know the proper code to alert them to this thread, but I am sure someone else does. It is something like blue highlight @twoprongpaul....

Paul might be the best person to address your issues.
    kris.

7. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. I'll see what I can do. Boulder isn't near as snowy as where I live, but that doesn't mean he just stays in town. Just a couple years ago we got a "snowmageddon" winter, and get those occasionally. I was pushing snow with my bumper in my other cars. Does anyone know if they make a torsen diff for the Leaf? I wonder what can be done about this.

Edit:

Looks like if I aim for a later Gen 2, like the 2008's and 2009's I've been eyeballing, I should be ok.

Driving in the snow | PriusChat

Edit again:

I just noticed you also have a 2008. :unsure:

8. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Paul actually owns a repair shop that works on Prius. He is a straight-shooter and I am sure he would have an opinion. There are about three other members from your area, also.

Hope they might chime in. One thing that folks from the East do not appreciate is the nature of snow on the high mountain passes of the West. This is the land where highways are routinely closed for days on end because of FEET of snow.
    kris

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @2k1Toaster is your friend and sells aftermarket new hybrid batteries for $1,600. iirc.

10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, Bisco, do the same for two-prong....I have never understood how to do that alert...

And, the 2008 also still sucks in marginal traction.
    kris

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just start with @. gotta find his correct handle though.

ah, @3prongpaul , he must have added a prong.:p

#11 bisco, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Raytheeagle and cyberpriusII like this.
  12. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me try.

@3prongpaul

Is that who you were talking about?

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got me. I am a "country girl"

kris

#14 cyberpriusII, Jul 15, 2018
    bisco and Isaac Zachary like this.
  15. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #15 cyberpriusII, Jul 15, 2018
    jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was born here, but my heart (and many relatives) are in california,.

17. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    O.K. sheep were never much of an issue in California....as long as you plant the right grape you are O.K. and I suppose we should quit going off-topic in this thread, but, at the moment, it is the best fun I have.
    kris

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    grapes are exactly on topic. my grandfather drove his family from boston to fens to look at a vineyard in 1929. on the reign trip, they were t-boned in chicago, and he was killed. but for that, i might have been born out there, but do not know who my mom would have been.(n)

cyberpriusII likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    also, my grandfather was a wool exporter.:cool:

20. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah! Wool! Maybe I should upholster my Prius, when I get it, in wool. :)