1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to New Zealand in Oct/Nov

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by moxiequz, May 21, 2008.

1. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I've finally saved up enough vacation time and will be going to New Zealand later this year [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]for 4 weeks (not enough time!)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]. I'll be traveling around mid October through mid November .

I'd love to hear any suggestions for places to visit and stay, things to do, stuff to eat, creatures to get eaten by, etc!

My itinerary is pretty open at this moment. I have a somewhat tentative list of places I'd like to visit:

* Auckland and surrounding areas
    * Wanaka
    * Wellington
    * Christchurch
    * Stewart Island

Any stories, ideas or suggestions you'd like to share would be most welcome! [​IMG]
    [/FONT]

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds great.

If you haven't done so already, you may want to email or personal message two New Zealand PriusChatters I know about -- samiam and Sitting Duc -- and also Daniel who I believe was there a few years ago.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're going to love it. If you like nature, DO NOT MISS Fiordland, at the southernmost end of the South island. While there may be lots of other things to do in Fiordland, there are two popular hiking trails that you must book well in advance: The Milford Trail and the Hollyford Trail. I was there on an organized multi-activity tour and had to pick one or the other, and I picked Hollyford, which requires carrying your full pack only one day, whereas Milford requires carrying it for 3 (or 4???) days. Milford is more popular and therefore more crowded. I know nothing else about it. Hollyford was fantastic. Do both if you can manage it. The whole area is amazing!!!

Again, research both trails and book one or both immediately, as time and inclination permit, since they fill up very early.

I loved NZ. But I really know very little about it, other than they will not permit nuclear-armed ships in their waters, and since the U.S. refuses to state whether any given ship is armed with nukes, none of them are allowed into NZ. Way to go people!!! I love NZ.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did the south Island for my honeymoon. NZ is awesome too bad it's so far from CA.

Christchurch is a great place to walk around. Lots of stores and restaurants. From there, you can take the tranzline cross country train trip if you like trains. Very scenic and beautiful. We did the round trip which is about 5 hours. City has lots of great restaurants. They have your typical western food. Thai and Indian is good. There's a huge chinese population so there's a chinatown section that has tons of Chinese food.

We went to Stewart Island for one day. But that was to get to Ulva Island. That's a bird sanctuary. We hired a guide who gave us a 3 hour walk tour for just the 2 of us pointing out many plants and rare birds. The rain forest was also just amazing.

If you're staying at Invercargill(the main city to launch to Stewart Island) they have a very beautiful Queens Bontanical Garden. Also at the south tip where the tour boats launch there's a very scenic Bluff trail that is coastal and goes for several miles. Free beautiful exercise is always good.

Our favorite experience in NZ was the overnight boat trip in Milford Sound. New Zealand has a bunch of Fjords, Milford Sound being their most famous one. The south west side is fjorland national park. We took a bus from Queenstown through the mountains to Milford Sound. There we hop on a luxury boat and we motor into the sound. You'll have an opportunity to enjoy to ride. There's several waterfalls. Lots of wildlife. You can kayak. Food's great. There's an underwater aquarium, that seems out of place in the middle of this nature, but it's worth checking out when they dock there.

Enjoy you lucky bastard.

5. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Kia Ora Moxiequz!

What to do in EnnZed...
    Its difficult to offer advice to someone that I know mostly from one, two, and three word posts. But I'll try. ;)

Lots of visitors "do NZ" by putting on as many kilometers as possible in as little time as possible. They seem to enjoy NZ a fair bit, although it is in a theme-parkish sort of way. Yup, there's lots to do and see, but you can't see or do it all, and my advice would be to slow down and drink deeply in a few places. Pretty much where ever you go there's considerable natural beauty just casually laying around.

You will be coming in our late winter. Dress warmly, in layers.

There are no creatures here that will eat you. There is only one native land mammal, a tiny bat.

Now, some comments about about your itinerary
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]* Auckland and surrounding areas[/FONT]
    Auckland is surrounded by nothing but water and arrogance. Seriously though, upon flying in I would have turned right (north) instead of left. Northland will always be the "true" NZ to me, its where maori and pakeha (anglo) settled first. It has magical kauri forests and the most visually beautiful coastlines.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]* Wellington[/FONT]
    In a tie for my most favourite NZ city (Northland has no cities of any size). You will feel very much at home there MQ, it is very like San Francisco as regards its geography, architecture, and cultural attractions. My other favourite is Dunedin, the best university town in NZ. Great night life in both places.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]* Christchurch[/FONT]
    Yawn. I'm going there again in a couple of weeks. Difficult to get enthused about it. Lots of pasty people, big cathedral, good art gallery. Boy racers go up and down the streets 4 nights a week. Nothing else to do.

* Wanaka
    [/FONT]

Its in the heart of the Queenstown/Fiordland adventure tourism vortex thingee. Yup, remarkable mountain ranges (called the remarkables), beautiful fiords, and you can jump, jet boat, bike, or tramp all over it. Small doses would do it for me, but its what NZ is all about for large numbers of visitors.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]* Stewart Island[/FONT]
    Cold people and cold birds catching cold fish. Again, very beautiful, but what isn't? There are bird sanctuaries and nesting grounds everywhere in NZ.

Burritos or somebody said Invercargill. Ha! They offer free university tuition in an attempt to get people to come and live there. Doesn't work.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]So that you know my bias, I live in the Waikato (central north island), in an area known for equestrian activities. Its very pretty here too, we've got Rotorua (thermal geysers & indegenous culture), Lake Taupo (clear water, big fish) and Mt Rupehu (active volcano + skiing) . Think farmers in paradise. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]The thing is NZ is very long and thin. Northland and southland are so different so as to be different planets. I would try to spend some time at each end, & would go for Southland (Queenstown/Wanaka) and Northland (somewhere north of Whangareri, like bay of islands). [/FONT]You could see some of the bits in the middle on your way from one end to the other. (If you want to say hi as you pass through the Waikato let me know). I think you should say yes to Wellington for a couple of days (Te Papa is our national museum there).

What else? You may hate sports, but plan on going to a rugby game. It is a cultural element that has no parallel in the US. You will be arriving at the end of the provincial rugby season, semifinals Oct 17 & 18, final on Oct 25. You want insight into kiwi culture? Go.

We won't have lots of things you might think you want, but we definitely have everything you need.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]

6. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't you bought her tickets yet? :D
    No rugby in the US?! Wimps. :p

8. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There're rugby games played all over the world, and then there's RUGBY played in NZ (and SA & Ireland, or so I've heard) which is a completely different thing.
    I think this is a topic best left for another thread though.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My GF and I went to NZ in Oct 04. We flew into Auckland on a cheap flight when Air New Zealand added a route from SF to Auckland. We only had 2 weeks.

I don't think there are any bad places; probably the least impressive was Auckland, but we were only there a few hours. We took a bus tour from Auckland to Rotorua via the Glow Worm caves. This saved us from renting a car in the North. Spent a day at the natural springs and Maori museum in Rotorua.

We then flew to Christchurch. Christchurch is an awesome place. We visited the Arboretum and Museum. Walked around the city. We wished we had more time there.

Then we drove to Mt. Cook. Mt. Cook is an awesome place. The view from our hotel window was directly at Mt. Cook. We hiked out to a couple of different glaciers. The water from the glaciers is an incredible shade of blue due to the mineral content of the melt.

Then we drove to Dunedin. Dunedin was my favorite city - it made me think of what the SF Bay area would be like if you removed the people and
    replaced them with sheep. Stayed at a Bed and Breakfast that caters to people who want a nature guide. We got up at 5am to go to the beach to see the Yellow Eyed Penguin head out to the ocean. We went to the Albatross sanctuary to see these huge birds that return every two years to mate.

We drove around the south tip of the South Island. There are tons of places to pull off and take a walk (hike) usually ending up at a spectacular waterfall. My GF got upset because I was taking too many pictures and she wanted to see as many waterfalls as possible.

Our last hotel was just outside of Queenstown. We took the bus tour from Queenstown to Milford Sound. Its a 4 hour ride with spectacular scenery. But my GF doesn't like riding on a bus, so when they announced a flyback option for the return to Queenstown, my GF said "I don't care how much it costs, we are taking that flight".

It turned out to be worth every penny. The 10 passenger plane takes off directly over Milford Sound (we had a boat tour earlier) and then turns back and flies over several glaciers on the way back to Queenstown. We used up all of the memory in both digital cameras that we had with us on that flight.

I took over 1100 photos on the trip not counting the ones my GF took with the other camera.

We flew back from Queenstown to Auckland and then to SF. The worst part about the whole trip is that the flight from SF to Auckland is 12 hrs. That's about 9 hrs longer than any human should be on an airplane IMO.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't get your address; can you post it again? Also, you didn't say whether you have an alarm system. :rolleyes:

Tom

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is excellent advice wherever you go. I was on a multi-activity tour that was very badly organized and misrepresented at the time I booked, and we spent as much time in the bus as we did seeing stuff. The best time for me was the Hollyford trail, because we got to slow down and walk for 3 days.

When I go back (when, not if) I'll stay longer in a few places and make sure I get to do a lot more walking.

Note: If you pronounce "Maori" as if it was "Maodi" you probably won't be getting it exactly right, but you'll be miles closer to the proper pronunciation than if you said it like it's spelled. Make the "d" very soft. Almost halfway between "d" and "th".

12. moxiequz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow! Thank you so much everyone for all of these great suggestions. :) It'll be hard to narrow down my choices. I have to keep myself in check when planning vacations like this. I tend to want to "do it all" and New Zealand doesn't make it easy - there's so much to do and see there!

I love walking - in just about any environment. Citywalking, hiking - it's all good. I'll definitely be doing a multi-day tramp and the Hollyford trail looks great.

Ah, thanks Daniel! I didn't know that - I've always just pronounced it "maa-or-rii".

samiam: Nope, I don't hate sports at all and I will definitely try to catch a rugby game as soon I can when I get there. One of my regrets from my time in Melbourne was not going to an Aussie Rules match when I had the chance.

No dice pal! You should also know that I have several ferocious spiders guarding my abode. :spider:

13. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How's the vacation planning coming moxiequz?

14. moxiequz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hiya Sam! The planning is coming along in fits and starts. I had actually let it fall by the wayside for a bit while concentrating on some other things but I've picked things up again. I'm focusing now on finally choosing one of the multi-day tramps. I've got a bad case of the "kid-in-a-candyshop" syndrome - everything looks so good that it's hard to make one choice even after hearing that you pretty much can't go wrong with any of the major walks . I've just about narrowed my choices down to the following:

- Hollyford track (very strongly leaning towards this one)
    - Milford
    - Rakiura on Stewart Island.

There are a few lower-priced walks that I'm also tossing around. I was hoping to find a "budget backpackers" tour for the tramp (similar to the one I did in Uluru) but was rather surprised to see there aren't that many available (at least for the walks I'm considering going on). I keep trying to remind myself that this is probably not the area of the trip to be aggressively cutting corners on anyways.

Once the tramp is booked (hopefully by the end of next week) it'll be easier to plan around it and get the rest of the trip roughly in place. :) The only other "set-in-stone" part of the trip right now is the visit to Wanaka even if it's just for a day.

I reiterate my claim that 4 weeks is just not enough time! :cool: (But I'll take what I can get!)

15. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds great.
    Just let me know if I can help with anything from down here.

16. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For anyone considering a trip to NZ, I recommend bopping down to the video store and trying to find the following movies (in no particular order):

Scarfies Scarfies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Piano Piano, The Movie
    Whale Rider WHALE RIDER the movie
    Once Were Warriors YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA5_NVj5aGY&feature=related"][/ame] (have a look at the second clip on the page but warning, violent clip)
    Heavenly Creatures Heavenly Creatures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or any episodes of the wonderful TV show "Outrageous Fortune" Outrageous Fortune - The official site (check out the quotes at the bottom of the page!)

17. moxiequz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for posting this list! I've updated my Netflix queue. :)

I haven't seen any of the films above with the exception of "The Piano". I saw that in college - a friend and I rented it one night when we were looking for a light and fluffy romantic costume drama - y'know, Jane Austen Tea Parties in New Zealand, that sorta thing. Looking back I realize it might have been helpful if we had actually bothered to read the description on the back of the case rather than just relying on the cover shot and a vaguely romantic sounding title.

Needless to say it wasn't....er, exactly what we were expecting. Which just made the viewing experience all the more traumatic. We did have to pause the tape at one time because a particular scene had us doubled over in laughter. I'm pretty sure that scene wasn't meant to be humorous.

I should probably give the film another chance...