1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to replace stock radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by doogster, Mar 19, 2012.

1. doogster

doogster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK... I have a 2008 prius with the base radio.

I would like to add both Bluetooth and Satellite radio to the car - but its just too much money to buy the individual adapters to do so.... whereas I can buy a Pioneer single DIN radio for $149 that includes bluetooth and for another $29 I can add the sat radio and for $65 I got the steering wheel interface for those controls to work.

Is there ANYTHING I need to be made aware of before I go pulling the unit out and replacing it with the new Pioneer radio?

I read somewhere something about a resistor that needs to be installed so that the climate controls still work with the touchscreen? Is this true? Anything else?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You will buy the correct bezel and cable adapter to fit the new radio in your Prius. Mine (for a pioneer 33HD) came with the installation instructions including the resistor (yes it is necessary). I skimped and left out the controls adapter since I had a local stereo shop do the installation.

JeffD