1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Going to see one - maybe two - Prius within my budget tomorrow

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Akira Takamedo, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Akira Takamedo

Akira Takamedo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found two with reasonable payments that I can afford with my prequal that I'd like to go see on Monday. It's about an hour and a half or so away so I wanted to ask a few things before I go out there.

One is a 2013 Prius Two, 71k miles, and it's priced at $9995. That seems like a decent deal to me, I've seen much worse in my browsing, either over 100k miles or a 2010 which I know has that problem with using too much oil.

The Carfax says it's blue, but Toyota Owners and the pictures say it's gray. I've never seen that type of discrepancy before. Someone that works at the dealership sent me pictures she took because there are just stock photos up right now, so I asked if she'd be willing to send me some. It seems to have literally just come in, it's at a Lexus dealer and not some shady used car place in case you're wondering. The photos aren't the best quality but it looks gray to me. I'll edit this post and link a few.

Other than that, seems pretty clean. No accidents, two owners, it seems to have started off life as a rental for the first 60k or so miles and then the rest was for personal use. Maybe that's why it's lower? No clear service records I can see, just inspections.

Finally I found out the 2013 Prius Two doesn't have a backup camera, but I heard it's installable. I'm not particularly handy. How much am I looking at to get one installed? Would a Toyota service place do it? I'd feel more comfortable with that but I'll probably pay more, maybe I don't have to do that.

There's also a 2013 Prius Three, 86.5k miles, priced at $10995, different dealership but same area, because of work I'd have to make two trips out there probably on different days or maybe my fiance can check out one while I'm at work and I can get out there to see the other one with her after work. Has the backup camera and navigation though I'd never use the navigation probably except to navigate side streets.

Checked the Carfax. One owner, does have a bunch of routine maintenance and service records like oil changes and filter replacements on the second one from the last edit. Maybe only because these records are from a Toyota dealership do they show up on the Carfax?

Honestly now that I'm thinking about it, I'm kind of leaning now toward the 2013 Three. More miles, but it's only $1k more and had one owner and a more comprehensive service record on the Carfax.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the second one as well, particularly because it wasn't a rental. makes it worth the extra thousand and 15,000 miles in my mind.
    all the best!(y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Akira Takamedo

Akira Takamedo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I'm learning about the downsides of buying a former rental car now too. I wish the dealership was open today for the second one, I really want to make sure it's still on the lot. I hate finding out a cart is no longer available when I really like it, happened to me twice now recently on a Prius and a Volt.

4. newbiePG

newbiePG New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What disadvantages of buying a rental car? I've heard of potential for more abuse, but I've also heard they are usually well maintained.

RCO likes this.