1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GoM *and* Battery Percent

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by mr88cet, Oct 8, 2018.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Short version:

Cloud9life’s video below shows how to display a cellphone-like battery percent-charge number. This might help you estimate better whether or not you’ll “make it” without burning gas.

Longer version:

Occasionally, I’ve fired up the engine, just for one warm-up cycle, expecting that I need to do so to make it to my destination, only to find out that I would have made it entirely on EV after all.

I could, of course, just keep driving until the ICE kicks in by itself, but that’s usually while I’m “coming in for a landing,” so to speak — driving around slowly in a residential area, where those medium-high warm-up revs would not be used efficiently. If Toyota forces me to burn gas, I’d much prefer it be in the middle of the trip when that gas will rack up a fair number of miles for me, rather than when I’m driving at 5-35MPH in a residential area.

So I have a prediction to make, and although I usually make that prediction well, the “guess-o-meter” (predicted miles left on the charge) has sometimes led me to think I’ll likely run out of charge, when I in fact would have made it.

I recently came to realize that watching, not only the GoM, but also the battery percentage can help me make that prediction better. For me at least, the Guestimatron often tends to show too optimistic a number at the beginning of my trip, and then too pessimistic a number midway through my trip.

Cloud9life, an early-adopter P.Prime driver (I think he hangs out here too, under a different name) showed how to get it to display a battery-percentage number here:

Here’s the summary:

Settings
    Meter Customize
    HV System Indicator
    EV Drive Monitor
    EV Energy

It’s easy to get it to display a graphical representation of how full the battery is, but sometimes having a more-precise number helps me at least.

kevin.c and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting but aren't you overthinking things a bit?
    J

3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Optimizing.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Laying awake at nights? :)

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, but that’s just the drugs. (Caffeine, I mean...)

iPad ? Pro

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it show battery 0% when EV range reaches -- zero mile?

7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven’t personally gotten it down that low since I liked in that feature, but yes, it’s definitely on-track to show 0 at the EV/HV threshold.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not used this feature myself, but I am wondering how this display of "battery percent-charge number" will make the estimate better. It is true GoM is too optimistic at start and often too pessimistic in a middle, but it always finishes at zero mile left when the battery deplete and ICE kicks in. Meaning at the very end GoM is 100% accurate. Now, if instead I have % battery on display, do I know how much % is needed to drive how many miles under what condition? I am sure if I use it often enough on the same road trip, I get better at making mental calculation, but is it better than GoM??? I think it is still a guesstimation at best. For me, for exactly same road trips with very similar driving condition, EV ranges differ day by day by as much as 5 to 10 miles. I don't think % battery left will equate to known miles of EV by simple arithmetics.

#8 Salamander_King, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    bisco and mr88cet like this.
  9. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Too many variables to ever be accurate. The EV range is calculated by your average miles per kWh. Whether you look at a percentage, the SOC% (on the screen) or looking at the actual SOC% from a scan tool is all the same, some folks will like looking at a percentage or the SOC...

100% on the screen is about 82% actual charge...0% being about 14% give or take 1-2%.

Of course terrain, speed, regenerative braking and climate settings all make a fairly bug impact on your range. For instance, my commute to work is 18 miles on rural roads driving 55-60 MPH with 3 traffic lights. There is also elevation loss and in the morning not really using AC and haven't had the car long enough to use heat. I guess I should say heat pump since that's what it is. Anyway, because of all this I'm using around 3 kWh at most to get to work. On the other hand from a full charge (can't charge at work anymore) leaving work I use 4-5kWh because of the AC and the elevation gain. All in all I get about 30-32 miles in EV and with cooler weather in the afternoon I suspect I will peak out on EV range before going south on the range due to cold batteries and using the heat pump.

Other things that impact my EV range, simply having to stop at a traffic light, or someone pulling out in front of me.

However, it is pretty much like gas, you have a finite amount of "fuel" and various conditions impact, pretty significantly, how far you can go.

Perhaps the range estimate should be more "dynamic" meaning if you start driving it hard, full throttle starts, hard braking that the estimated range should be immediately reduced, rather than a speedy countdown?

As far as hitting the EV/HV button, I've done that a few times and can't say I have noticed a benefit, however your situations may vary. I will say that it does make more sense to run the ICE at highway speeds over driving around residential streets (which I don't encounter on my commute).

10. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    i have only used the % setting since i got the car and customized it ~8500 miles ago :) i would prefer to have the % number in the HUD but i cant so instead of the EV range in 2 spots i have the EV range in the HUD and the % there.

it says "--%" when at 0% AKA hybrid mode.

i also have played with hv/ev mode and EV auto. the car never remembers what mode i have it set to and always put me back in EV mode when i turn it on so i just drive in EV mode till the battery is dead then drive in hybrid mode. life's too short. just let the computer drive the car (love radar cruse control :) )

11. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, it’s still a guesstimate, but with a little more information to go on.

For example, on my weekendly (if that’s a word) trip to the rowing club, by the time I’m about half way back, meaning 3/4 of the way through the entire trip, to Guesstimatron often tells me that I have only 5ish miles left, which has, on 2-3 occasions, prompted me to kick in the Engine, when I could have made it.

Nevertheless, that would be the right time to kick in the engine, again, based upon when that obligatory fuel burn would rack up the most miles, without burning even more fuel than the warmup itself requires. Upon looking at how much charge is left (again, graphically is good, but seeing a number drives it home more clearly), it’s definitely more clear, to me at least, when it’s just being pessimistic.

iPad ? Pro

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you purposely kick on the engine because you don't think you have enough miles, but find when you get home that you would have, are you taking into account the fact that the engine warm up has added more miles?

kevin.c and mr88cet like this.
  13. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reasonable question.

Yes, the number of (estimated) miles left seems almost certainly more than the warm-up’s miles added.

bisco likes this.
  14. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    During (less than 2 minutes) engine warm-up any model of Prius sets the cylinder firing timing as to not produce any real power (or polution) and uses the traction battery for locomotion until the engine and components are warmed up. Engine warm up drains the traction battery. I have watched cylinder firing timing, traction battery drain, and engine coolent temp on Scangauge II connected to my Prius v.

I have seen reports that the system tries to generate the power lost during engine warm-up back into the traction battery, but I have not seen hard data to verify that.

mr88cet likes this.
  15. CEJ

CEJ Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Pardon my ignorance, I’m new here. Can someone tell me what GOM and SOC are?

16. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Guess-O-Meter = the approximation of EV miles based on SOC taking into consideration temperature and recent driving history.

State-Of-Charge = the measure of electricity currently in the battery-pack.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about your V or other Prius, but for PRIME, the ICE (and maybe some regen as well) can regenerate the traction battery charge lost during the engine warm-up if I drive long enough. Here is the picture of my PRIME in motion while I was on highway (going 65 mph) after 179.6 miles since the start-up. The level of the traction battery is back to 100%. I had a full charge when I first started the car, but immediately after starting the car, I switched to HV mode to preserve my EV range for later use at the destination. Yes, during the first few miles after the start-up, the traction battery lost some charge. It went down to 96%, but after getting on the highway and driving for a while it went up back to 100%. The SOC stayed above 98% all the way to the destination after ~300 miles of drive on pure HV.

IMG_20190521_165924.jpg

Chazz8 likes this.
  19. CEJ

CEJ Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, John. Assume that the SOC would then be the percentage figure available on the HSI screen?

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Left side = HSI displaying USABLE percentage of battery-pack capacity.

Right side = Aftermarket gauge displaying ACTUAL percentage of battery-pack capacity.