1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gonna Try a 12V Heater for Winter MPG's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usnavystgc, Oct 12, 2012.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently saw that Harbor Freight is selling these 12v heaters for $10 (Its listed for $14.99 but the flyer has a coupon for $9.99). (12V Heater w/ Fan)
    [​IMG]
    I'm gonna give it a try to see if I can save some mpg's in the upcoming winter months. This (along with ccdisce's wonderful ECT spoofer) should give me summer-like fuel economy in the normally fair KY winters. I will be mounting it in front of the center console (not hard mounted just placed there) and will move it on the dash if I needed to defrost.

I will let you know if it does what I expect. It is cheaply made but, what do you expect for $10? I wouldn't recommend it for colder climates like MN or WI etc but, in the milder areas (AL, NC, SC etc), it should warm you up pretty good (I'm hoping anyway). We'll see.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure what the 12 volt outlet fuse is rated for. Hope the heater doesn't draw more than the fuse's rating.

3. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heater ad says it uses/needs a 15 amp fuse

4. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I tried it out the other day and it ran fine w/ no issues for about 15 minutes.

5. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The power outlets on the prius use 15 amp fuses.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! thanks usnavy, keep us informed. some of us pip drivers are looking for just a bit of warmth to add to the heated seats so we can ev all winter without ice.:D

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think this is something Toyota could have improved upon. The inverter and transmission produce upwards of 2kw of heat that is thrown away by the inverter cooling system. If a small heat exchanger was plumbed into this system and the air flow put into the cabin air intake much of this heat could be usefully recovered. The coolant after leaving the heat exchanger would then go through the normal rad.

usnavystgc likes this.
  8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It will provide heat immediately, which is nice, but it will reduce fuel economy by some trifle. You'll be using the engine to create electricity to charge the traction battery to charge the 12V battery to run the electric heater, instead of using engine heat directly.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Also the PTC heaters do exactly this.

Assuming this fan heater uses a couple of amps to drive the fan and it does load the electrical system to 15 amps the heat output will be around 100 watts. Not very much I'm afraid.

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But if it is running for an hour or so before unplugging the PiP from the charger, it could take most of the edge off of a cold cabin in advance.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the car is in a position where it can be charged why not use a mains heater rated at say 1kw plugged in. Other wise you are converting mains current to 12 volts to charge the battery then using the 12 volts to run a heater discharging the battery.

Also if the charger stopped working for any reason "lost power supply, charger fault etc" and the heater is running off the battery that battery is going to be discharged very quickly.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm a fan of heated seats for winter fuel economy. I find I turn the heater on for about a minute or three depending on ambient temperature, and that is enough to tide me over until the ICE is hot enough to supply waste heat.

OP's 12v heater sounds like a good hack, but potentially dangerous in an accident.

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking simplicity. One heater, one mains connection (via the EVSE, public or private). You are right about the potential to drain the battery if the AC get's interupted. I would be sweet if there was a 12V connection that would cutout if the circuit dropped below 12.5V.

12V Low Battery Cutoff Kit | Buy Online | Volt Electronics

14. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, not enough, I have a 120 volt, 400 watt oil filled heater, left it on max temp all night, the next morning the outside temperature was 47 degrees f inside: 51 degrees f

15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Everyone has some good input here. It does not put out that much heat. That's why I said it is fine for milder climates like KY but def not enough for the north. I know I won't be roasting in the cabin and I'm pretty sure I'll be cold. My problem is a 6 mile one way commute that takes about 12 minutes to complete. By the time I get to work, the cabin is just getting comfortably warm. Without this heater, (and ccdisce's ECT hack), the ICE runs the entire time.

Today the outside temp was 55 f when I left home (not a good test day). I turned on the heater right away and directed the flow to my legs. I could feel the warm air w/in 20-30 sec's. By the time I got to work, the cabin was starting to get warm (just like if I used the stock heater). The difference is, I was in S4 in 45-50 sec's w/ ICE off at the first stoplight vice ICE running the entire way to work. It is def not as good as the stock heater but, I'm hoping it will provide some comfort on the milder winter days.

As far as it being a safety hazard, I'm not sure how???? It is small, doesn't weigh a lot, stays in front of the center console without moving around. I would say its about as dangerous as an aftermarket GPS that's mounted in one of those non sliding dash (bean bag style mounts). It may be even less dangerous because I keep it low.

I'm not trying to advocate this to anyone, I'm simply sharing my idea and will later post my results.

My running average FE is 50.1 mpg over the last 10 tanks. This is my "summer" mileage. I'm hoping to achieve similiar winter results but, as I said earlier, "We'll see".

16. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I'm sure it will reduce FE but I'm hoping not as much as the stock system.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can you take advantage of an engine block heater ?

18. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure I can. I just haven't done it yet.

19. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, we've had a few "colder" days and here's my observations/results.

The heater is providing a dissapointing amount of heat on days colder than 40f. Using it has had the desired effect of improving winter mpg but my mpg is not equal to summer mpg as I hoped. With this heater, it is only good on the mildest of days (above 40f).

Conclusion: It was a good try but didn't meet expectations. In my view, a waste of $10. Not recommended.

bisco and Britprius like this.
  20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for an honest conclusion to your test. Sorry for the waste of money as I no it is not always easy to admit defeat.

usnavystgc likes this.