1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gonzales White House Testimony Offer:

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Mar 20, 2007.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill60546 @ Mar 25 2007, 05:25 PM) [snapback]412073[/snapback]</div>
    That is inaccurate and misleading.

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/2...red-prosecutors
    Gonzales Aide to Invoke Fifth Amendment
    LAURIE KELLMAN

WASHINGTON — Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' liaison with the White House will refuse to answer questions at upcoming Senate hearings about the firings of eight U.S. attorneys, citing her Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination, her lawyer said Monday.
    The House voted 329-78 to strip the attorney general of his power to indefinitely appoint federal prosecutors, approving a bill similar to one passed in the Senate. President Bush, who is standing by Gonzales, has signaled that he will not veto the legislation.

Meanwhile, another Republican added his criticism to the growing chorus.

"His word is tarnished," said Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas, said of Gonzales.

Goodling's statement contradicted her boss' promise to allow his top aides to testify before Congress, voluntarily and under oath.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...ush-aides_N.htm
    Poll backs subpoenas of Bush aides
    By Susan Page

WASHINGTON — Americans overwhelmingly support a congressional investigation into White House involvement in the firing of eight U.S. attorneys, and they say President Bush and his aides should answer questions about it without invoking executive privilege.

In a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken Friday-Sunday, respondents said by nearly 3-to-1 that Congress should issue subpoenas to force White House officials to testify.

The poll finds little sympathy for the administration's claim that White House aides shouldn't have to testify to ensure that a president gets candid advice. By 68%-26%, those surveyed say the president should drop the claim of executive privilege in this case.

That's similar to the public's view in 1998 when asked if President Clinton's aides should testify about the Monica Lewinsky affair.

Interest in this controversy is much lower than it was in the Lewinsky scandal, however. Only 14% are following the U.S. attorneys story very closely; 32% are following it somewhat closely. One in five say they aren't following it at all.

3. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 27 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]412995[/snapback]</div>
    This shouldn't be all that surprising. There's no sex involved. Now it it came out that Gonzales traded sexual favors for assigning US Attorneys, then we'd have something. Without that, the general public views it as "more of the same" from our perpetually corrupt politicians.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 27 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]412995[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that the Fifth Amendment only applies to criminal charges, so something is afoot.

Interesting that once again a presidential administration is threatened by a woman named "Monica". Apparently, a newscaster today covering this story meant to say, "Monica Goodling", but called her "Monica Lewinsky."

5. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah, it was Pete Williams on NBC.

There were two fired attorneys on MTP on Sunday morning. It was fairly interesting to hear their perspective--one clearly thought the firing was political, and the other said he didn't feel it was political but didn't understand the reasoning.

What was really interesting was hearing some of the things that occurred to them the few weeks before being terminated--what they were investigating, what they chose NOT to investigate, and how that irritiated the Repub machine in their areas. Check out the podcast or transcript if you have the time or inclination.

Something in me, though, wants to believe that Gonzales was not embroiled in it. I don't know why--I guess he hasn't been around long enough for me to lump him in with the likes of Cheney and Rove.

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FIR...EMPLATE=DEFAULT
    Ex-Aide: Gonzales Signed Off on Firings
    By LAURIE KELLMAN

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Contrary to his public statements, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales was deeply involved in the firing of eight federal prosecutors, his former top aide said Thursday, adding that the final decision on who was to be dismissed was made by Gonzales and President Bush's former counsel.

"I don't think the attorney general's statement that he was not involved in any discussions of U.S. attorney removals was accurate," Kyle Sampson, who quit this month as Gonzales' chief of staff, told the Senate Judiciary Committee. "I remember discussing with him this process of asking certain U.S. attorneys to resign."

"The decision makers in this case were the attorney general and the counsel to the president," he told the Senate Judiciary Committee. "I and others made staff recommendations but they were approved and signed off on by the principals."

The White House response was notably muted.

Sampson also testified the prosecutors were fired last year because they did not sufficiently support Bush's priorities, defending a standard that Democrats called "highly improper."

Hours before Sampson's testimony, the Justice Department admitted that it gave senators inaccurate information about the firings and presidential political adviser Karl Rove's role in trying to secure a U.S. attorney's post in Arkansas for one of his former aides, Tim Griffin.

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7032901366.html
    Taking One for the Team, When He Could Remember
    By Dana Milbank

Kyle Sampson, the former chief of staff to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, was in his fourth hour testifying yesterday about the firing of federal prosecutors...

The witness fessed up to an expanding list of sins. He admitted that the Justice Department was trying to circumvent the Senate confirmation process. He confessed that he proposed firing Patrick Fitzgerald, the prosecutor in the Valerie Plame leak case. "I regretted it," he explained. "I knew that it was the wrong thing to do."

But the self-sacrificing witness still managed -- inadvertently, perhaps -- to implicate Gonzales and Bush's chief political strategist, Karl Rove. Sampson, who resigned from the Justice Department earlier this month, admitted that Gonzales "had received a complaint from Karl Rove about U.S. attorneys in three jurisdictions." Asked about the accuracy of Gonzales's claim of non-involvement, Sampson confessed: "I don't think it's entirely accurate what he said."

"I can't pretend to know or remember every fact that may be of relevance," he warned at the start -- and he wasn't kidding. He used the phrase "I don't remember" a memorable 122 times.

It may have been a tactical effort to limit his risk of perjury, but Sampson displayed the recall of a man who recently fell off a ladder.

MJ: AHHH, the Ronald Reagan/Ollie North Defense rears it's ugly head again. Naturally, if you or I tried that tactic the judge would toss us in jail to 'think it over', but in DC it's all in a day before the congress. Just what is it about DC which makes selective memory such a problem?

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 27 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]413064[/snapback]</div>
    I understand your sentiment, but as Kyle Sampson's testimony revealed, Gonzales apparently was up to his neck in it. Don't forget, Gonzales and Bush go way back- he was general counsel to Bush when he was governor of Texas. And it would seem, like with Harriett Miers and Bush's other old cronies, his first loyalty is with George Bush. It is supposed to be with upholding the law.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 30 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]414902[/snapback]</div>
    Researchers have found that the incidence of amnesia in Washington DC is significantly higher than anywhere else in the US. It must be something in the Potomac water.

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I think the problem with amnesia in DC may have to do with the anthrax which mysteriously appears when ever there is hesitation to reauthorize the Patriot Act. Me thinks some gets airborne and affects the 'selective memory chip' in our great legislators. Funny how anthrax only appears in a timely fashion and then no one ever gets caught!?!