1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good-bye...anyone need some spare parts?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by theSaj, Dec 9, 2013.

1. theSaj

theSaj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Our Prius sustained significant damage to the wheel and frame. It's located in Connecticut. Sadly, my mom didn't have comprehensive. But I had just recently had the transaxle replaced with a low mileage one from Eric Sumpter over at Adopt-a-part.

The tires are in fairly good condition. Though my mom had just gotten a flat 2 weeks ago. So it's three fairly new 6 month old tires. And one odd-ball. But at least as a pair and a spare it might work well. Especially if someone wants some rims for a full size spare.
    Battery is original, but still seems fairly good. New inverter coolant pump.

Anyone know what the going rate is for a 1st Gen Prius as parts? Could I get $1,000? $500?

Part II: My mother only had our Prius for about 6 months. But she liked it. And I suggested she might want to look at the newer ones, as they're probably better in nearly every way. So I was looking for suggestions on buying later generation used Prius.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry for your loss but stuff happens. But even without collision, the other driver and insurance company might be liable. Discuss this with your agent.

As for next Prius, you are right that the 2004-09 Prius and even early 2010 Prius are going to offer some significant improvements. There were some latent defects in the 2004-05 models so I would hold off on those.

Personally, I think any Prius after the 3/36000 mile warranty is going to be a good buy. Also there appears to be a pretty good price drop when they get close to the end of the 60,000 mile warranty.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Connecticut is a "no fault" state so it is your insurance, not the other guy's that pays.

JeffD

4. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the accident is not your fault as it looks to be, the other guys insurance pays for yours to get repaired. I had this happen in Minnesota (which I am told is also no fault) as I only had liability insurance on an older 1993 Mazda 626 and ended up getting almost $1000 to repair both drivers side doors. Before you do anything check with your insurance.
    TomK

5. Benmuir

Benmuir New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you part it out, let me know! I am urgently looking for the second catalytic converter in the exhaust system...mine has failed. And if you dont want to mess with just sending the second Cat, then I would consider buying the exhaust system. Let me know!

6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    how many miles are on the car? may be interested in the battery?

7. Nibras Yousaf

Nibras Yousaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    Please let me know how many miles on the car. I am interested in HV Battery.
    Thanks

8. hardish

hardish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need a rear passenger side break light.

9. Tom Krager

Tom Krager New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How damaged Is the front bumper cover? I'm looking for a new one for a somewhat low price. Get back to me if you still wanna sell parts.

10. Alan Weis

Alan Weis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Let me know if you are going to part it out. Our 2002 Green Prius got hit by a hit and run driver and we need some parts. Please let me know what you decide.
    Alan

11. Nibras Yousaf

Nibras Yousaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    Is HV Battery Still Available. I am very interested . Please advise asap. MY Gen 1 battery is having issues.
    Thanks

12. theSaj

theSaj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I apologize, for whatever reason I did not receive any alerts to these replies. I think my email filtered them.

I am planning to go up to Connecticut for Easter, could possibly go sooner. And I will take some pictures of the damage.

The vehicle has around 195,000 miles on it. Battery was functioning fine. But does have age. The transaxle was replaced with a sub-100K mile unit last year. 3 tires are nearly new, and one tire is brand new (unmatched). Hit an object that punctured a tire and replaced it a week before accident.

The 12 volt battery was newly replaced, as was the inverter coolant pump.

Please email
    saj
    at
    eastern
    storm
    dot
    net