1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good bye Prius 2010-2017

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Superdrol, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I wonder.. I've been hearing about newer cars drinking oil from about all the brand's. And I think I've noticed something, auto makers seem to be in competition for longer oil change intervals. 3k, 5k now 10k. Sure oil is better, but I can't imagine that dirty black oil staying in my motor for another 5k miles, wonder if it's doing something to the piston rings or walls to cause premature oil consumption or planned obsolescence by 100k

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Montgomery and jerrymildred like this.
  2. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no hard feelings, however; I don't think you understand what I wrote. I do (and have done) all standard routine maintenance on my car at the dealer. When checking the oil every week is as regular as filling up my car with gas that's where I'm drawing the line. I have own (and others I know) who don't have this issue with higher miles. I just checked my brother's Toyota Highlander that's 10 yrs old and has over 100,000 miles. His car was last serviced for an oil change 4,000 so he is due for another one in 1,000. His oil levels are correct without and shortage. Same with another relatives Corolla.

According to what I have read and what is agreed upon, his car with 4,000 mile should be short a few quarts already if it were a Prius. Instead he has a Highlander that's 3 years older than my Prius with no oil consumption. That's what I want, I'm not looking to fill any oil.

If you are OK with topping off oil every week between oil changes more power to you, this car is a better fit for you than me. Not to mention unlike a fuel tank that automatically cuts off when it's fuel, you'll have to eyeball how much oil you put in then siphon it out if it is too much.

Btw, which reminds me......I better keep this issue hush hush. Last time I had a conversation with someone here in California, I mentioned I liked the Prius and better gas mileage, but I wasn't a tree hugger or really cared about environmental issues. The person looked at me like I was Charles Manson.

If someone knew my Prius was secretly emitting more pollution via burnt oil, it could be a very scary thing.

#22 Superdrol, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Deogratias likes this.
  3. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always done my oil at 10,000 miles, sometimes earlier. My car has issues and it's at 107,000. Toyota has engineers who presumably know more about the technical aspects than I do and they say every 10,000 miles which I did with 100% synthetic and change the filter. There's no recall and probably most 2010 vehicles are around the 60-70k mark so I suppose if it is a common problem it will manifest itself in several years.

Deogratias likes this.
  4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With Hot and dry climate like where you are and using more than average driver's .....
    How you ever consider different weight oil and see if your oil consumption have changed....
    I can keep beating Dead but you have already made your mind....
    I do not believe in low weight oil that should be replaced at 10 000 miles....
    There are various things that effect oil consumption on hybrid car's......
    Finding right brand oil is the key to have oil performing best
    My apologies for giving you hard time.....
    Remember that not all Car company's oil are not up to the aftermarket choices

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    Remember that all this low viscosity oils you are seeing in new car's are there to make better MPG....and have less stress on emission equipment and to meet harder and harder standards each year .
    If you have ever been in Engineering team that is working on new car ....and what they have for budget to meet almost impossible mission that companies want to

#24 Samprocat, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Bluegrassman likes this.
  5. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'll let you all know what happens, in a few years. I disregard the 10,000 mile service interval, and I change my oil every 5,000 miles. I am at 62,000 miles, no oil loss between changes...

thatoneraccoon likes this.
  6. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    2005 Prius with 190k every 5k and burns no oil. My old Buick I changed every 3k and still no oil usage at 500k

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well yes, I'd be disappointed if I bought a vehicle new, maintained per recommendations, and then started to experience abnormal or significant/excessive oil loss at only around 100,000 miles. I'd expect better durability and longevity in this regard.

But I would also say, I never owned a vehicle with 100,000 mile plus that didn't at least start to demand more attention to burning oil.
    So I guess it boils...or burns down to...what is "excessive"?

Allegedly, PT Cruiser owners have experienced high degrees of Oil Consumption and allegedly the company response was that burning up to 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles was within acceptable specs....this from a few visits to PT Cruiser sites...after Googling Premature High Oil Consumption.

Just pointing out it could be worse.

That being said, I trust nobody knows their vehicle more than the owner.
    And if for whatever reasons they feel it best to move on?

Enjoy the new ride...whatever it turns out to be.

8. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A significant percentage of Prii have no oil burning problems regardless of mileage, but I understand that your experience is what's most important. I've also had a car before that got good reviews but which gave me lots of problems. You just got unlucky, as did I with that previous car. I hope your next car treats you well.

Samprocat likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went close to buying a GOLF - till someone suggested I check the horror stories of them using oil.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  10. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you have made up your mind, but if you have not:
    Doe your ICE emit smoke from the tailpipe either on hard acceleration (suggests valve stem seals) or when letting off in the accelerator at a fairly high speed (75 or so-- suggests worn rings). But if you have NO tailpipe smoke and you are getting a burned oil smell, have you thoroughly checked for leaks also up in the engine compartment that would be dripping down and possibly getting onto a hot part of the ecxhaust system? Finally, have you checked the PCV valve ? I ask because if a PCV valve is well and truly clogged shut, the crankcase pressure builds up which in turn starts pushing oil out past the engine seals (giving engine compartment oil leaks) and also up past the rings (giving oily residue inside the tailpipe). That whole crankcase pressure effect would be much worse the faster you drive, so do you typically drive over 65 mph? Just curious.

alanclarkeau and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have made up my mind. I was looking at cars today and test driving several. Tomorrow I'm buying a Honda Civic, nothing fancy just a standard civic. Mazda 3 looked good on reviews, but in person it's uglier than Rosie O'Donnell and it feels sluggish and underpowered. I found one with less than 20 miles, and I'm going to tomorrow morning to buy it, I'm just wiring cash as I will be paying in full.

I did not see any smoke (visible) while driving the car. I also did not check to see if oil was dripping on a portion of the engine or not, it's possible there was a leak with just dripping on a hot surface and burning. I'm not sure what a PCV is.

Also, I do drive over 65mph. Everyday, I drive roughly 50 miles total around 75-80mph. Here in California everyone drives a minimum of 80mph and it's generally a long commute for about 80% of the population who lives in this location.

Hopefully things work out better for everyone else here. Engine problems are more than I bargain for at the year/mileage so I'm calling it a day. The Prius is as good as gone (tomorrow).

#31 Superdrol, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also I checked on several sites the value of my car. 2010 107k miles leather interior. Version:II

I got a quote between $4-8k. That's wide but very low compared to what I'd expect for Toyota holding their value. I was expecting more. Only takes a few more expensive repairs to make that a wash.

13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the looks of the MAZDA 3 - in fact, most MAZDAs.

The PCV is a valve which controls the ventilation of the crankcase. It has been an item in cars which needs replacing from time to time - I've changed a few over the years (Nissan, Mitsubishi x2, VOLVO at least). They're just one of those easily overlooked parts - yes overlooked by mechanics.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Oh OK. Yeah honestly I have no idea. Outside of basic stuff like changing a tire, changing filters, battery, bulbs etc I'm not sure. Ideally I'd take it for a second look but I'm just too busy. Hopefully it finds a good owner. I took care of it to the best of my ability.

Data Daedalus and alanclarkeau like this.
  15. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the sad thing is the motor really dosent have 107,000 miles, its not running all the time...so its more like 70,000 miles maybe less..i have an 08 and seems OK at 160,000 miles..time will tell, I don't like the interior of the gen 3 or the looks of the gen 4 so this might be my last one also

16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably not under the conditions it was driven - "Also, I do drive over 65mph. Everyday, I drive roughly 50 miles total around 75-80mph." - I suspect the engine would be running most of the time. At 65mph the electric motor would be assisting and regenerating off and on, but the engine wouldn't be off much except at traffic lights or exits. When my usage is more city type use with stop/start etc, I'll see EV% of maybe 70%. But on 110km/hr driving, it's more likely 20%.

17. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing wrong with cutting loose a Prius that may or not be a problem. I suggest getting a 4th generation Prius as Toyota's have unparalleled reliability.

18. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not 107k total miles on the engine, but the way it was driven the ICE was on most of the time. In 2014, the Prius had around 70,000 miles.

The first 70,000 were not heavy highway miles, although the car was in the Midwest and subjected to normal winters there, etc, etc.

In 2014, I moved to SoCal. After that from 70,000 miles to 107,000 I'd say 85% of all those miles were high speed California highway miles.

I agree, the newest Prius (is it the Gen 4 ?) anyways look absolutely ugly. I'm not sure what's going on with the rear, but the rear of the vehicle looks atrocious.

The Gen 3, 2010-2013 ? Or whichever ones that look similar to the Gen 3 look good. I did like the design of my Prius, the previous Gen 2 was ok. Not that sporty, but that's not a problem. I'm just also not liking the newest ones, they look terrible, in my opinion of course......

19. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'd say it was mainly ICE which removes the need for the hybrid system. Hitting the highways here in California, there's very little non ICE use unless you are jammed in a ridiculous traffic which does happen.

Here's also my breakdown:

My 2017 Honda Civic which I just bought under $20,000 gets 40 mpg on the highway which is what it is rated.

The new Prius which I saw listed gets 50mpg highway, and costs around $30k MSRP. You may be able to negotiate this down to $25k if you are pretty aggressive....maybe $26k.

So for 10mpg extra you will spend another $5-6k. For me, I'll pass, but others may pay up for that. It's personal preference, but I'd rather forgo it.

Go from there, do the math and the overall breakdown. Plus all my driving is mainly highway which removed the need for the hybrid system. It came in handy when you are jammed in the highway with a wreck, but 99% it was burning fuel and the engine was running like a Corolla on the highway.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure they have improved since my 2010 (7 years). I personally do not like how they look. Not knocking anyone's vehicle, it's all personal preference, but the rear in particular looks incredibly strange.

I may have just had a bad experience, but when it comes to expensive purchases like this usually a bad one is more than enough to lose a customer for good. I'm sure businesses know this, they are professionals, but I'm not buying another Toyota again.

This is just me speaking, but I feel like Toyota has lost it's way over the years. They were the benchmark in quality in the early 90s, and just earned this reputation for reliability. Then eventually, all they wanted to do is go toe to toe with the American automakers which Honda did not do.

If you look at Toyota they have like 10 different trucks to play games with GM and Ford. I don't know why you need so many trucks. Honda just has one: The Ridgeline.

Anyways, Toyota just wanted to go toe to toe with the American automakers and probably overtime over expanded their automotive portfolio too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.