1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good bye Prius 2010-2017

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Superdrol, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my civic earlier this morning. Black interior. Looks great. Car salesman was very polite and not pushy. We agreed on a fair price. I know they need to make money and get paid on commission as well so we were able to negotiate on something that works for both of us and I traded in the Prius. It was fair for everyone all around.

The new Hondas look great. If you are bored, go to a Honda dealership after hours if you don't want to be haggled. The 2017 Civics and Accords look very stylish and slick. Even the hatchback civic looks sharp.

The Mazda-3 is ugly as a dog.

Anyways, hopefully this makes everyone more aware. I'd hate to see someone's engine get shot over this oil issue. I can assure you after the powertrain warranty is up you are only your own............if your engine gets trashed over the oil issue ALL the money you have in fuel economy will be lost in engine repairs.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd agree - with my balance of driving, and the type of highway driving which is quite different from yours (much slower, likely to be bumper-to bumper), a PRIUS came up as a logical choice. If I was driving under your circumstances, I'd go with a Civic, Corolla - or if I had dark glasses on, a Mazda 3.

Superdrol likes this.
  3. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I came from a Honda Civic myself. Honda, Toyota all part of the Japanese Keiretsu. Japanese reliability. The Corvette is still my favorite American car. I learned to drive on a 1967 Ford Mustang. I would like Ford to send me their statement car, Ford GT.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A photo?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The sun is already set here so it's dark outside. I'll have to take pictures another time. I got a 4 door Civic Sedan with a black interior. It's the EX. The LX is the base, and the EX-T is identical all around except the engine has a turbo. There's one more version above that I believe EX-TL or something.

These are not actual photos, but pretty much what I got. It's the lunar silver with black interior, 4 dr sedan.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe. Toyota has a larger car portfolio than Honda, but I'm sure they employ all the same mfg strategies. I actually used to work for Honda over 10 years ago. Not at a dealership, but the actual manufacturing plant in Ohio. They made the Accords and Acura TLs at the time I worked there. In fact while I was browsing the lot today, I saw the accord that was listed as being made at the place I worked.

Nothing against the Big 3 and I think their quality is in line with the Japanese, esp after the bankruptcy in 09, but I'm not really into anything they are selling. The GM Volt looks cool if I were to get a plug in hybrid, but I'd never spend the money they are asking for the car, even after the discounts and whatnot.

7. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wish you Good luck and a lot of happy miles....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Superdrol likes this.
  8. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    People give-up too easy. It used to be NORMAL for a car to consume oil, and the owner would check the oil regularly to make sure it did not drop too low. Even today most carmakers say, "One quart consumption per 1000 miles is acceptable."

Rather than lose 15,000 dollars on tradein, I'd just keep driving it:

- Step up to a "high mileage" oil that has additives to swell seals and stop leaks.
    - Switch to a thicker oil like 5W-30 or even 5W-40 since the thicker oil provides better protection.

9. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I really don't care about the loss on the Prius. If someone picks it up later on and it runs to 900,000 miles I'm happy for them.

Prius is gone and I consider this discussion to be over. I like the Civic, it's new and meets my needs.

Not to mention based on my driving conditions it's pointless to have a hybrid anyways. I drive on the California freeways 99% of the time so the hybrid system is a feature being underutilized.

#49 Superdrol, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    When you trade it, don't tell the dealer there's an oil problem (or any problem).

Never mind.... I see you already did. And I agree that hybridization is not needed if you're rarely in EV mode. That's what I like about the new Ford Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion with 1.0 engines <--- It's the same-size engine as my Honda hybrid, but without the hybrid complication (read: battery replacement).

11. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even though it's too late, I am surprised nobody mentioned this.... the above symptoms are NOT of internal consumption of oil inside the engine. It is the symptom of an external oil leak that is usually fixed by replacing a gasket - not replacing or rebuilding an engine.

Montgomery and Data Daedalus like this.
  12. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really don't know what the condition the car is in 100%. It could be nothing, it could be serious. I don't know. That's why I sold it.

Your location is also SoCal so you know how these freeways are already. It's either dead stops in traffic or extremely fast pace driving. It just depends on the day you drive. I work long hours, so I generally leave at "non-peak" times so I can shorten the driving on the road I need to do.

With a Prius (not sure if it is the same with other), the only fuel savings you are getting hitting the highways is primarily the weight reduction due to the usage of more aluminum vs. steel.

#52 Superdrol, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  13. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not necessarily.....some of biggest problems with oil consumption with low miles are related to valve guide seals.....another problem is oil weight for this car and so many different addative blends from different companies....

14. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The way I understood it was that it was bad rings and a leaking timing cap. Both would be fixed if the engine was rebuilt.

It is certainly possible that oil was merely leaking and falling on a hot portion of the engine somewhere inside, but not likely even though I did not have it examined again a second time. I really don't know 100% what condition the car was sold in aside from what I noticed and was communicated to me from the dealer I went to.

The way I found out about the issue was that this light kept flashing on random turns and braking and it wouldn't stay on. I don't know why it was engineered like this but it was at least 3 weeks before I could actually read what it was saying.....I fill air in the tires etc, etc,....

so when I finally saw what it was, I opened the hood and I could immediately smell burning oil. At the same time, I pulled the dipstick and there was nothing. After 10 wipes then putting it back in it looked like there was maybe 1 drop on the dipstick so it was clearly low on oil for sometime.

Also, the engine was making strange noises for those 3 weeks. Again, I didn't know what it was so I attributed it to low quality gasoline then I got it at another place as I assumed it was just knocking.

When I finally saw the message, the car had been driven about 6,000 miles since the last oil change which appeared to dry out the engine. I can't tell with the leaking as there is a splash guard underneath if it was also leaking I didn't see any immediately but it could have been a slow bleed.

And the knocking of the engine likely due to low lubrication since I drive so much I probably drove at least 1,000 with the engine doing that which I don't know what condition it is in or if it damaged it.

I personally don't know why Toyota does not have the warning message stay on longer and have the low engine oil pressure trigger sooner.

So with all that said, that's why I bailed. The dealership has professionals who know more about this than me and can fix it for much cheaper than me.

#54 Superdrol, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do leaking valve guide seals result in a visible oil leak on the exterior of the engine?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  16. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No when they start leaking they will finish inside of combustion chambers....and get burned with fuel

17. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I feel sorry for the chump that buys this car. I doubt the dealer will notice. I could not, in good conscience, trade/sell this.

You didn't check the oil for 6000 miles? and even after the last three weeks of strange noises?

18. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Toyota didn't feel any guilt selling model year 2000 to 2009 sludgemonsters & then voiding customer warranties when those engines died at 20, 25, 30,000 miles. I would expect that "screw the customer" behavior from Cheatwagen but not Toyota. Soooo would I feel guilty trading back a leaking engine & leaving Toyota to deal with it? Not given their previous history.
    The Prius weighs almost 4000 pounds... not light at all. Fortunately weight is irrelevant. The important factor for highway travel is aerodynamic drag. The Prius half-teardrop shape lets it slice through the air.

I want to hear about the new Honda Civic.
    Is it giving good MPGs on the California interstate?

19. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At the court room:

Superdrol: How was I know to check the oil? Why did my Prius puke all the oil out? It wasn't my fault. Yes, maybe, I should have checked the oil once a month. Yes, maybe, I should have wondered more about the funny light on the dash. Yes, that funny noise the last three weeks did bother me but, what was I going to do about it. I busy. Car go boom, maybe, . . .later.

Judge: Superdrol I sentence you to never owning another device with an internal combustion engine! Bailiff, take him away.

20. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "The Prius weighs almost 4000 pounds... not light at all.""

BS. The Gen 3 Prius weighs 3042 pounds. Your false statements end meaningful conversation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.