1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good day quick question regarding demo purchase

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by b727, Nov 24, 2016.

1. b727

b727 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I'm planning a to purchase a 2016 prius next week. I have two options. A new vs a demo model. I will save about 1200$ on the demo prius. It has the "chip guard film and tinted windows plus about 8000km. The money is one factor but I was wondering about the break in period. Is there much involved in the first several tanks of gas or is that a baseless concern.

Thanks for the interest great site.
    Chris

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! there is a short break in (500 miles?) recommended in the manual. but it's not like the old days, and i doubt anyone is being too hard on the car while demoing. i wouldn't be concerned, but it may be more of a personal comfort decision than anything else. all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The main thing that would bug me in that deal is the window tint, just not a fan of it. But lots of folks do like it. At 8000 km you're pretty much out of the break-in period. Your warranty will be reduced by time and distance, obviously.

You save $1200 over suggested retail price? If so I would push for some more discount, just be prepared to walk on the deal, you might be surprised. And watch out for sneaky charges, "documentation" for example. I've shook hands on "included" for that charge, then seen contract re-written with the charge (close to $300) resurrected... :rolleyes:

I would look the car over really carefully, test drive listen for odd noises or behaviours. Also, check the spare, the tool kit, cargo cover, floor mats, manuals, fobs (2), that nothing's missing. A car sitting around at dealership might start to get "cannibalized"...

2016 has oil change at 16,000 km or one year I think. I would get the oil and filter changed asap anyway.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  4. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yep, if you plan to buy it, and anything's missing, demand that they scrounge one up.

RCO likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry about the break-in, most cars these days aren't anything like as critical as they were decades ago - and those which are (high-end grand-tourers etc) are largely broken in at the factory.

As mentioned, the warranty will be reduced. But you'll have the bonus of the tinted windows which I'd never be without. The demo FORD I bought a few years ago also had some other items like mats included.