1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good dead tree MPG log?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by N9IWP, Apr 21, 2004.

1. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

I could use a small spiral or other book, but then I'd have to make my own columns.
    I could print something out, but I'd like something sturdy
    (I suppose I could print it out on index cards)

Any ideas?

Brian

2. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I started using the MFD's Info->Calendar->Memo function to log all my fillups and mpg calculations. When I go to the gas station, I enter a new Memo on the given Calendar date and type in "x.x GAL, xxx MI, xx.x MPG" which happens to just fit the maximum memo length. I can always go back and list the memos in my calendar to see past performance. The month view on the Calendar makes it easy to find the memos since there's a mark placed in the corresponding date box.

Maybe not the best way, but it's the only practical use I have for the Calendar function since it doesn't hotsync with any portable PIM products!

3. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

That must be a Nav only thing.

I'd like to log:
    tank #
    miles start, end and delta
    gallons
    MPG calculated
    MPG displayed
    Lifetime MPG calculated
    notes (temeperature, just got new tires, etc)

Brian

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Found a collection of mileage logbooks on Froogle. The Adams Vehicle Mileage Logs look like they might be what you're looking for.

5. paulisme

paulisme New Member

Danny (AdminCoop) and I have been working together on the PriusChat Store. I'll suggest to him that we make available a journal for this purpose; it will even have the PriusChat logo on it!

6. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    For my last 2 cars I have been using a little notebook that the local stationery store sells as a "geology field book." The pages are 7" wide and 5" tall "graph paper" ruled on a 1/6" grid, so you can line up your columns neatly. The notebook has a hard black cover (like those on some larger notebooks that are called "composition books"), so it is very durable, and it fits nicely in a glove compartment.

I have noticed that there is a certain percentage of the population that, hybrid or no hybrid, compulsively records their gasoline purchases.

I also record all service work on the car, which turns out to be much more useful than the pages and pages of gasoline data.

7. rflagg

rflagg Member

For me, it was easy - print one up, cut & bind it.

Just a small benefit of working in a printing department. :)

-m.

8. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

Actually the other company in my building (same owner) does some binding, but I'm not going to bother going through that route.

Looks like Office Despot / Office Max have some. I'll take a look and see if anything looks good to me.

Brian

9. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really wanted one too. I went to Staples and they had some, not the best. But I made it work, it suits my needs. ~$.99

10. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

The ones I found at Office Despot were so close yet so far away from what I want.

On the left they had a date box and a memo line
    on the right they had 5 columns
    start, stop, buisiness miles, personal miles and some other column

I could relable the last 3 columns as miles, gallons and MPG
    but I want displayed MPG and overall MPG
    Suppose I could put those in the note column
    (Instead of date I would put tank #)

Brian

11. Driftwood05BC

Driftwood05BC New Member

If you have a Palm-based PDA, I *highly* recommend "Highway Manager" from TinyStocks.com. I've been using it religiously since I got my Sebring in 2001 and now that I've traded that gas-guzzler in for a Prius I have a reason to use the "notes" feature -- to record the MFD's report of MPG when I fill up!

The ability to keep a lifetime "cost of ownership" record as well as to record fill-ups as being related to a particular trip (so you can get "trip" MPG as well as tank and overall) is really cool.

http://www.tinystocks.com/highway.html

Peter+

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm curious why you want "dead tree" notekeeping. When I got on the Prius list, I started tracking the milage on my Buick Regal. All I did was carry a pen in my car and write the tank miles on the top of the receipt; since it's a gas station receipt, it has the gallons. When I got home, I just added it to my excel spreadsheet. The cool part of excel is that you can have it do the 'delta' calculations for you and the spreadsheet updates as you add more data. Additionally, I like the charts. You can see my current mileage spreadsheet in my signature.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but in this day and age, I'm just not sure why you have the need to step backwards in notekeeping.

13. gturtle

gturtle New Member

There is something satisfying about having a dead tree book. I just use a simple blank book with blank pages, one page per fill up. Every so often I use acid free rubber cement to attach the receipt. I also use it for miscellaneous notes. I transfer the numbers to a flat file (one line of text per fill) and crunch on it with filters. But then I am a unix guy.

Does anybody reset the MSG display more or less often than every fill up? "More often" makes sense to me, it is harder to see changes in MPG toward the end of the tank. Maybe just a separate chart, displaying MPG versus odometer, with vertical bars indicating fill points. It would have been good to have done this all along, but it might be a good habit to start new owners on. Before and after long trips would be a good time to reset the MPG calculation, for example.

Right now my MPG is really bad. I have a 2.5 mile commute, I never get beyond the first five minute period. I am thinking of getting a bicycle for the commute. 2.5 mile one way, that is.

14. prius04

prius04 New Member

TonyPSchaefer
    I'm not very good at excel but I have the program. Do you have a template of the gas mileage document? Or do you know where I can find one?

It would take me a hours starting from scratch because I know so little, but if there is already one out there....

Or if anyone else knows about such a template I'd really appreciate it.

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Because I pay cash? Already have too many receipts to track in Quicken. I don't need to see what %age of my spending is on gas. Especially when a $20 covers it. :)

I got a basic small notepad at Staples when I couldn't find a specific gas tracking one. I laid out 3 different formats to see which worked best. Then I got gas the first time and realized: I don't need a page per month because I will only be stopping once or twice a month anyway! I guess I can use most of the pad to take notes on other things. :)
    Assuming you have a safe road, good idea! Even dawdling along at 10 mph, you can be there in 15 minutes.

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll admit up front that I'm no Excel expert, but I play with it quite a bit.
    I'm sorry for those who are Lotus 1-2-3 users. I do not have that application and can not create one for you. For Excel users, you are free to use this as long as you accept the following statement: "it's probably not the best thing out there and don't expect the world." Now, click this box: [ ] I agree

I have to admit that I'm accustomed to standing over someone's shoulder when I show them how to use something. Otherwise, I write a manual. In this case, I've got neither. I've tried to make it simple. However, since you are not acustomed to Excel, you might poke around a bit before you get the hang of it. But that's no biggy because if you "break" it, you can always download it again. This version will never change. :)

When you open it, you will see that the column headings have little red arrows. If you point to them without clicking, little notes will pop up telling you what each column is for. If you want to see what one looks like filled in, you can click the tab on the bottom called "Sample". When you enter the numbers, the chart will automatically update. It's on the tab named "Chart".

This should hold you for a couple months at which time you will have to start adding lines and adjusting the chart. When you get there, just PM me and we'll work through it.

Good luck and if anyone wants to add funtionality to this and post an improved version, that would be great. In fact, I think it would be pretty cool if we developed a pretty slick "Priuschat MPG Log".

17. prius04

prius04 New Member

Thanks for the template. I've started playing with it and it works fine.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  19. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, John! There yeah go. I haven't even follwed the link yet but know that you're gonna have some great stuff there. As you always do. I'll head over there now and see how I can ammend my own spreadsheet.

And every time I see a classic these days I smile and wave, thinking that we '04-ers are not the original early adaptors. :wave:

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    123 MPG spreadsheet

I have both. I made a 123 version of Tony's Excel file. I can do this because unlike some (non)competitive products, 123 will open spreadsheet files from other vendors.
    I modified it slightly by adding a "calculated refill gallons" column based on "tank MPG" and "tank miles". Both are presumed to be Prius computer values. [sup:136fad161d]*[/sup:136fad161d]
    I then used this column to calculate Lifetime mpg since Tony's sheet assumes relatively stable "tank miles" values. (And has shorted his lifetime MPG slightly).

[sup:136fad161d]*[/sup:136fad161d] I figure we don't want to spew gas all over the place if the computer or the pump is wrong and we can't really fit "computer tank miles/computer mpg" gallons in the tank so we pump a little less than we might be able to fit. :)

OK, I DIDN'T attach it. I get an error saying "The Extension 123 is not allowed". What's up with that Danny?? I renamed the file to a .txt. MAYBE if you download it and change the extenstion to .123 it will work??