1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good deal? 2018 Prius Two - 44k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MaxMPGDreams, Jul 7, 2020.

1. MaxMPGDreams

MaxMPGDreams New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone, long time lurker on this forum! This is my first post! Trying to find a great deal on my first Prius purchase. Found this deal on CarGurus and wanted to run it by you all to give your feedback. This is right in my price range and would try to go a little bit lower.

2018 Prius Two, $16,500, 44k miles. Seller providing a CarFax. Clean title and shows semi regular maintenance performed at dealer. Overall looks good cosmetically but haven't seen in person yet.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

krmcg likes this.
  2. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not enough detail for me. Private sale? What does "semi regular maintenance" mean? It makes me nervous.

For a car as complex as a hybrid, I prefer a car from a Toyota dealership. A GOOD Toyota dealership. You will pay a bit more, but establishing a relationship with a (good) Toyota dealership seems safer to me. Also, I deal with the service director at all times, not a service advisor.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Double check records/history, have the car thoroughly inspected by a NON dealership tech, and go for it.

With all due respect to the previous poster, hybrids are no longer cutting edge technology.
    Besides....you're smart.
    You have your sights on a relatively base model car.
    AND(!) since you live in the DPRC you 'might' have the advantage of the additional CARB warranty on many of the hybrid components that might complicate your life years down the road.
    I mean....there ARE SOME good things about living in the Golden state - riiiight?
    Make sure that the car QUALIFIES for the CARB coverage from somebody who KNOWS.
    I do not pretend to be one of them, but if you bought a car from some loudmouth know-it-all squid who brought it in from one of those disreputable red states east of the Rockies then you might not have the additional CARB coverage.

My guess is that the seller took his or her 2018 TWO down to the nearest Toyota (or other) dealership looking for that 'new car' feeling and was disappointed in the trade-in offer.
    That....or they are smarter than the average bear, and they realize that with a little time and effort you can save thousands by NOT trading OR buying a used car at a new car dealer.
    Check out their car's real-world street value @ kbb.com. (Priuses are worth more in Sand Dog than they are in other states for OBVIOUS reasons.)
    Ask them why they're selling.
    They might just tell you the truth about it, and while the truth is not completely unknown in dealerships......lets just say that it can be a little harder to drill down to. ;)

Your call.
    If the seller does not have title in hand it will be a little harder to arrange for financing and it might require an extra trip or two to the bank or credit union.

That extra effort will save you $$$$, since if they do not have title in hand you might be able to chisel a few hundred more out of them for the effort. :D

Good Luck!!

amos likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a 2018 base model II and it has all the safety bells and whistles standard (16-17's were optional) and works very well with OpenPilot ("self" driving aid). Other than auto-wipers and carplay, there's really nothing I want or need that's missing in the base model. I can get carplay by replacing the easy-to-remove stock headunit.

That price in San Diego would be a very fair and skewing to the low end of the market. Make sure it was originally sold in Cali (or CARB state) for the 10 year hybrid warranty.

Enter the VIN here to see its service history with Toyota dealers: Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

GOOD LUCK!

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds good, go for it! (y)