1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good news & coupla mo questions:

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Johnnu, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Johnnu

Johnnu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just did my first mileage check on my new 2011 Prius; it got me 50.1 MPG with mostly highway driving on an engine that hasn't broken-in yet. I'm a happy senior citizen; now I can drive as much as I want and still give the oil companies the bird.

Now the question: is my 2011 considered a Gen. III ?...

BTW: I never take any extended warranty on ANYTHING (esp. not on a Toyota car); and 2) my cars have NEVER been back to any dealer for any service EVER.

Finally, thanks to all for the great DIY info on this forum....These cars are definitely nothing like my old Chevy.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, the 2011 is the second year of the Gen III.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2010-2011's are Third Gens, Gen III, or G3's.

Congrats on the car!
    I never bothered with extended warrantys either----but they work for some folks.

Best of Luck!
    (Give 'em the finger once for me! :) )

4. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Johnnu, enjoy being a "Junior Member", and enjoy the car. Isn't it great to go out and enjoy driving a new car, especially as the price of gas goes up!

Not hoping for gas to go up, but not as concerned for driving purposes at least...

5. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you should have gotten 25,000 miles worth of Toyota Care for free. Tire rotations on the 5K's and free syn 0-20 oil changes on the 10K's.

I'd let them service it up to 25K for free.

REV

6. Johnnu

Johnnu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    REVHIGH, they did give me the free 25K service but I've never allowed any dealership to touch my car(s) once I take possession. The few dollars I lose is worth them not getting the chance to over fill or use the wrong oil or change the oil COLD or not put in the drain plug gasket....You get the idea; not a biggie, just another anal old soul here.....

7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that there's some detailed posts in the maintenance section for changing the oil in this car. It's pretty straight forward, but the oil filter is one of those goofy cartridge types, and I have heard where its o-ring can and has been pinched during an oil change, even at the dealer.
    You're right about the overfilling, and it seems that even "Gen-u-ine Toyota Fact-o-ree Technicians" apply German torque specs for filters and drain plugs. (Goodentight!)
    I always do self-maintenance for my personal vehicles.

Fortunately, one of the good things about this car is that the maintenance schedule is pretty easy---although there's no way I'm leaving oil in an engine for 10,000 miles, I don't care what "they" say.

Good Luck!!!!
    :cool:

8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I changed my oil at 5000 myself just because it was a new engine. I'm going to let Toyota do the maintenance for the first 30K as I also have an extra free oil change certificate. My dealer is very good from what I've seen ... the techs seem absolutely excellent, and I have zero worries that they're going to use the wrong oil. Toyota is paying for this service, and I'm perfectly confident that I'll get the Genuine Toyota 0-20 Synthetic.

They do what I tell them to do and nothing more. For example, at the 5K service they rotated the tires and 'checked everything'. I told them not to change the pressure in my tires (I'm running them at 42/40) and sure enough they didn't touch them.

I was also of the opinion that no oil stays in my car for 10K miles until recently. I've had a few oil analyses done by Blackstone, and I'm pretty much convinced now that regular car engines are perfectly fine running synthetic oil 10K, and non-syn 5-7K. I'm an old timer too, but I'm forcing myself to come into the 20th century on this point. I'm gonna let them do it free for the first 30K, and then I'm gonna follow that schedule ... I have no doubt that that is just fine and dandy with the engine. :D

The damn thing barely runs anyway ...

REV

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe you'll want to change your descripton from "other non-hybrid" to 2011 Prius.:)

Enjoy the high MPGs, technology and low emissions.

10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know.....
    That's an excellent point! I didn't stop to consider that 10,000 Prius miles isn't the same as 10,000 Sierra miles as far as engine wear is concerned....:)