1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Good price for a Prius C Three???

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Iamstone, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Iamstone

Iamstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm about to trade my gas guzzler 2009 Mazda CX-9 in for a Prius C three. The dealer have the last one in stock and is offering me $23939 out the door. I want to get pricing opinion from other members on the site. Do you think is a good deal considering I live in NY with a 8.875 sales tax. Now my next move is to bring my car into the dealership and see how much they can offer me.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

In addition, I do have a few questions re: the Prius C

1) Do you warm up the car as you normally would on cold start?
    2) Does it lack power climbing up hills?
    3) I've heard if you run out of gas, the car will be disabled and you have to bring it back to the dealership. Is this true?
    4) Can you only get 3/4 of a mile on EV mode?
    5) Due to lack of statiscal data available, how reliable is the Prius C compare to a conventional gas engine?

Thanks,

Iamstone

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The out-the-door price isn't too useful for comparisons. What options are on the Three, and what's the price before taxes and fees?

3. Iamstone

Iamstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before taxes and fees is about $21,500. This is the Prius C Three so it comes with all the bells and whistles. It also has moonroof and upgraded alloy wheels. What about the questions I have regarding the Prius C? Thanks!

4. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Simple math according to TrueCars for a Prius C3 says that a price of $22.6K is a fair price before taxes and fees - which is in line with Edmunds after freight is counted in.

As to your other questions....

1) Do you warm up the car as you normally would on cold start?

Yep....

2) Does it lack power climbing up hills?

For my 2012 Prius 2, I have done well on the hills we have in the Mid-Atlantic region.

3) I've heard if you run out of gas, the car will be disabled and you have to bring it back to the dealership. Is this true?

That worried about running out of gas? Just fill-up at the two pub mark.

4) Can you only get 3/4 of a mile on EV mode?

No idea...

5) Due to lack of statiscal data available, how reliable is the Prius C compare to a conventional gas engine?

Toyota has 10 or so years with the Prius lineup... most will say it meets the expectations of Toyota reliability.

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    MSRP with those options (assuming it also has the more or less standard carpet mats) would be $23,860, so that price is very good as long as the dealer isn't tacking on any bogus fees. With tax your $21,500 becomes $23,408; the only fee you should be paying on top of that (aside from registration) is the $75 NY documentation fee, which just about all dealers charge.

Somewhere in the OTD price is another $531, which includes registration, the doc fee, and perhaps a bit extra for the dealer. Still sounds like a very good price.

6. Iamstone

Iamstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you guys for your input.

The next step is see how much the stealership will offer for me car. I have a feeling they will low ball me and it will make me angry and I'll most likely walk out regardless how good of a price they are giving me for the C. Lol They don't know I'm trading in a car yet. I'll surprise them this weekend when I show up at the dealership. :)

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Good luck with the deal, and let us know what happens!

8. Iamstone

Iamstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks! I'll keep you guys posted.

9. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My C was 23,860 with the sunroof alloys and mats after taxes ext warranty 26,400 some bucks

10. Iamstone

Iamstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thats comparable to the price I'm getting. Did they pressure you into getting the ext warranty?

11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think you're misreading the numbers - he paid full MSRP of $23,860, plus taxes etc. for a total of $26,400.

12. Iamstone

Iamstone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My mistake. I thought he paid $23,860 out the door. Sorry about that. It looks like they are
    giving me a good price. I wonder what's the catch.

13. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Not really. He just said it pretty much pays for itself. If a window regulator were to go bad it could be up to 400 bucks. he didnt have to persuade me too much. i was going to go for it anyways. and it was 900 bucks so i figured what the hell lol